2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Anyone's thoughts on a 300 savage??????

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Hunter11 
#1 ·
:hairout:

I have an old 300 savage that is the only rifle that my dad has that was his father's. I've used it in the past and have dropped some deer and even one Nailgai bull. It's been really great and the best thing is that the only thing we've ever had to do to prepare for a season is fire a coupld of rounds and never once make any adjustments to the old Weaver fixed scope. Just wandering if anyone else has any thoughts or experiences with this caliber. And if someone knows how similar that caliber and a 308 are. My plans are to put this away in the safe, I know this is all I have of my grandfathers besides the ranch.

#2 ·
:hairout:

I have an old 300 savage that is the only rifle that my dad has that was his father's. I've used it in the past and have dropped some deer and even one Nailgai bull. It's been really great and the best thing is that the only thing we've ever had to do to prepare for a season is fire a coupld of rounds and never once make any adjustments to the old Weaver fixed scope. Just wandering if anyone else has any thoughts or experiences with this caliber. And if someone knows how similar that caliber and a 308 are. My plans are to put this away in the safe, I know this is all I have of my grandfathers besides the ranch.
I also have my grandfathers and it is a well built rifle ! The .308 is far superior to the .300 sav., more energy /velocity/and flatter trajectory!

#4 ·
.300 Savage is the parent of the .308 and was envisioned as a short-action counterpart to the original military load in the .30-06 of a 150-gr bullet at about 2700 fps. Now loaded to a bit over 2600 fps with the 150-gr bullet, or 2350 with the 180-grainer, it remains suitable, with proper shot placement of course, for all non-dangerous North American game.

#12 ·
Kody,

I've only shot one hog with my old 300 savage but I've taken shots at 200 plus and dropped white tail, I believe mine may hold 5 shells I've never loaded that many. Does your's have a counter on the side of it? I believe it is either a model 99 or 94 not quite sure not home currently to check it out. Cool pic thanks!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.