2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Why hog hunter's aren't liked?

5K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  Hotrod 
#1 ·
Would like the chance to take some guy's that have never been hog hunting with dog's out to the wood's to show the sport i love.Most guy's look down on us hog hunter's?There are a lot of hog hunter's that do not respect the land that they have to hunt or the land owner's?Please do not classify me and the guy's that i hunt with in the same category as them.We respect every aspect of the game from land owner to the land hunted.We all know hog's are everywhere and are going to keep breeding and there is nothing we can do about it but just keep the number's down.So if your land or lease's are coverd in hog's and don't know what to do give us good guy's a chance to help before you just bash on`The Hog Hunter' there are a lot good respectful hunter's out there like myself that are tired of being talked down to, about our sport,Thanks for reading Teamroper! Cleveland Tx

#2 ·
Would like the chance to take some guy's that have never been hog hunting with dog's out to the wood's to show the sport i love.Most guy's look down on us hog hunter's?There are a lot of hog hunter's that do not respect the land that they have to hunt or the land owner's?Please do not classify me and the guy's that i hunt with in the same category as them.We respect every aspect of the game from land owner to the land hunted.We all know hog's are everywhere and are going to keep breeding and there is nothing we can do about it but just keep the number's down.So if your land or lease's are coverd in hog's and don't know what to do give us good guy's a chance to help before you just bash on`The Hog Hunter' there are a lot good respectful hunter's out there like myself that are tired of being talked down to, about our sport,Thanks for reading Teamroper! Cleveland Tx
That surprises me a little. I've never heard anyone bash hunting hogs with dogs. I always have thought it's kind of raw and gutsy. Not to mention taking a life with a knife next to a snarling pit bull or the like has to be a primal kind of a rush. More power to you.

#9 ·
That's funny because we have several deer leases and ranches begging us to come out now that deer season is over. A hog dog won't think twice about a deer... just hogs. An over population of hogs will screw up a good deer lease.

Teamroper, there are bad apples in our sport just like any other. Keep doing what you are doing and shedding a positive light on hog hunting with dogs.

#10 ·
If I say I don't like hog hunters do I get to go on a hog hunt? I've never been on a actual hog hunt just some hog catches a long time ago. I enjoy watching dogs work all the way from catch dogs to watching labs on the retrieve. No ill feelings here

#12 ·
My Great Uncle hunted Hogs with Dogs

He died in 1963 at 94 years of age and hunted hogs until 2 years before he passed away. He never killed the hogs but ran them with hounds until they were brought to bay and then relaeased his "catch dogs" which were a cross between bulldogs and Airedales. I remeber he had a scar that ran from his wrist to elbow where one of the hogs "got him" as he put it. Said he didn't go to the dr. just poured turpentine on it and "bound it up" until in healed. That was one tough old man. He, and his ons, farme 20,000 acres in S.C. and his great grandsons still farm most of it. I have deer hunted on much of that land and they have some great deer on it.

This was in the swamps around the Santee and Cooper rivers in South Carolina. He would catch the hogs, cut the boars, and then pen them up and feed them out on corn for a couple of months before slaughtering them. Boy! They were some good eating after being feed out.

#15 ·
Two or three men and a pack of barking dogs running thru the brush at night, leaving thier scent everywhere, no, it does not impact your deer hunting at all. The next morning that big old smart buck that hits that scent line and was spooked by all that comotion last night forgets all about it and just forgets it ever happened. If you run dogs in an area- the deer will definately change thier patterns or leave the area, to much predator scent.

#17 ·
I would suspect that he brings the hogs out of the woods and pens them where he can fattin em up a bit before either selling them or butchering them

Is this an invite cause I am in I would love to go Hog Hunting.....Always wanted to go but never got the chance

TS

#19 ·
Hog hunting

The hogs we catch are killed but not by me.I have a ranch near my house that does hog hunts and i give them the hogs in exchange for the right to use thier ranch to train my puppies but all hog do end up being killed.Hope this explains what we do and stand for in the great sport of running dogs for hogs,Thanks again for your post Teamroper

#21 ·
The only potential issue I have with hog hunters is their disregard for boundaries. I've found a big group of hog hunters on our (my buddy's) land before, and their response when we asked them what the hell they were doing was basically, "Our dogs had a hog pinned here so we had to come get them."

Running dogs after hogs isn't an excuse to hunt any land in your county. In this particular case, we saw zero deer 5 hours later that night at a stand that we hadn't seen less than 10 prior to that. Ever. In history. The dogs might not have chased them off, but the noise/scent certainly did.

For the most part, I'm all for it as I hate the hell out of hogs and will likely give permission to whoever wants to hog hunt my land (when I buy some), but be courteous and don't do it during deer season. That's the best way to get uninvited back I can imagine.

#22 ·
A good hog dog may not chase deer but they will scare them three counties away.

I don't care for hog dog runners, but that is my opinion. I have had trouble with their dogs and my breeding pens.

There are alot of good views/opinions that you are looking for in a post late last year (maybe October). I can remember the title, but you should be able to find it.

#23 ·
Chase this, I live in Pearland too. Why don't you come dogging with me some time so you can intelligently speak of this sport. Sure some dogs will chase a deer, but a finished hog dog is trained to find and bay only hogs. Other animals are considered "trash" and nothing ****** a hog dogger off more than a dog of his trashing. My dogs don't trash unless its a skunk,,,,lucky me. LOL

I think you'll find the sport to be extemely fun with some incredibly hard working dogs and zero deer will be chased. And if you're lucky one heck of an adrenaline rush.

#26 ·
It's a simple thing really. If you don't want them on your place, don't invite them.

TH
It's not that simple, my friend... A creek is cosidered a navigable waterway and is public property within its banks. Most runners are kind enough to ask permission to run creeks on private land; however, some don't. Those are the ones that give all a bad name. Also, dogs do not know boundaries.

#30 ·
Before you open your mouth and spurt out non-sense, do your homework. Ephemeral streams (the smallest stream order and only flow after a rainfall) are considered navigable by the Corp and are justisdictional. Inturn, these stream beds are considered public land and be accessed without trespassing; however, you have to be able to access them from public land (i.e., roadways, rivers, lakes...). Just because you can't put a boat on it does not mean it is considered navigable by Corp standards.

BTW, I am a wetland scientist, I know this stuff.

Sorry for the hijack...

#31 ·
Give us a brake

I think we are getting off the subject the point of the thread was not to hate every hog hunter you run a cross. I know i get tired of people talking bad about the sport I love most but the point is that we are not all the same. I live close to several other hog hunter that i consider good for nothing. Just because of the way they treat the land and the land owners. They gives us a bad name and we don't need any help as it is. Don't knock it Till you try it. These guy are telling you the truth about there dogs not running deer mine are the same way. That is why the shock collar was invinted. If you have hunter running dog during deer season on land that is being deer hunted. They most not care about there dogs to much. I don't want no deer hunter to shoot my dog. Like i said we ain't all the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.