2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

lever guns this season

4K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  pccurr 
#1 ·
How many of you guys use an old lever gun for deer to spice up the action? A 44-40, 38-55, 32-20 or other lever gun with open sights. I find it adds to the hunt and sharpens my skills. How about you?:doowapsta

#3 ·
I have a marlin 30-30 lever rifle and I always say I'm gonna bust it out! I haven't, but I should. You are right, it would add to the hunt. I'm gonna try to use it for axis, maybe in february. this sunday, I'll probably just use my 22-250 scoped. Thanks for the reminder.

#4 ·
Archery with a rifle

Why should the bow and arrow boys have all the fun. Abandon your 100 yard tower blind and set up an archery type temporary blind (brush, camo netting, etc) about 40 or so yards from the feeder (observing the wind direction). Up close and personal. Good way to get a doe or a hog IMO.
I have a couple of new version Winchester 1895s, one a carbine in 30.06 and the other a takedown in 405 Win. Good hog guns for variety.

#5 ·
Using one this weekend. My favorite Marlin - a Stainless Steel 30.30. My blind is about 65 yards from my feeder. Whacked some big hogs and a few deer.

I also have a 45.70 lever action ... my all time favorite pig gun. Not to mention my Puma Lever action 44. Love to carry it with me when I'm walking around the lease. Makes me feel like it's the 1870s.

Great post!

Attachments

#9 ·
I have hunted with my model 94 winchester .25-.35 for the last three years. I like the challange. It sucks when you see a monster buck at 200 yrds and can't take a shot but thats when the hunting starts.

#11 ·
Good on ya scarecrow. "That's when the HUNTING starts." Right on.

It's all about attitude. It's funny that when I am hunting with a scoped rifle, and I see an animal at 400 yards, I start trying to figure out how I can get to 250 yards. When I'm hunting with my flintlock, I start trying to figure out how I can get to 75 yards. When I'm hunting with my bow, I start trying to figure out how I can get to 30 yards. Same animal, same initial distance, different attitude because of the weapon of choice that day.

THE JAMMER

#10 ·
I have never shot a deer or hog any other way....no wait I did shoot a doe with a buddy's 270 once. Other than that I shoot my Win. Model 94 30-30 or other Lever Guns. The 30-30 is a 1954 and was my Great Uncles gun. My family are lever gun fanatics from 22lr to the new Marlin .450. My personal favorites are short barrel saddle guns .44-.40, 22mag, 45-70. Yep I really like the lever guns, it never fails its what I grab. My 30-30 has a side mount weaver scope on it but I can't get any consistency with it, so I usually use it as a spotter and then put it on um with the open sights. Here is my story about the deer I shot this year with the 30-30.

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=189026&highlight=stalking+deer

#12 ·
I carry a Marlin 41.mag. that started life with a 20" barrel. I wanted it shorter and handy, so I cut it back to 16 1/4" and it still shoots with authority. Many deer have fallen to my different lever guns and like someone else said it is fun being close to the action.

Years ago I was hunting a big spread down near Roma in Starr county. All of us young guys had the reach out a get-em big guns. The Mexican ranch hand that was taking care of us had a pile of huge deer horns out in his back yard. I asked him what he hunted with and sure enough it was a weathered model 94 in 30-30. He said he would slow crawl through the javelina tunnels in the prickley pair and sneek up on out of the way secluded bedding spots. I asked about the rattlers and he said "oh yes, sometime they want to used the tunnel to." Some folks will do what ever it takes. My Mexican friend would do well in Washington.

#13 ·
I carry a Marlin 41.mag. that started life with a 20" barrel. I wanted it shorter and handy, so I cut it back to 16 1/4" and it still shoots with authority. Many deer have fallen to my different lever guns and like someone else said it is fun being close to the action.
That's way cool. Always wanted a .41 lever, but opted for the .44 as they are much easier to find.

#15 ·
Getting my grandpa's pre 64 winchester 84 30-30 fixed and cleaned at the gunsmith right now. Then it will be time to lay down the law on some porkers. I went out lastnight and picked up 3 boxes of shells, one box of the new hornady ammo, one box of standard winchester 30-30, and one box of winchester ballistic tips (cause you never know).

#16 ·
I love leverguns. Hunting to me is when the targeted critters are less than 100 yrds. This picture is my son and his first deer taken at about 60 yards with a Marlin 357 magnum levergun. Nothin like sitting in a stand with your son getting up close and personal with the game, whispering strategy,making the decision to shoot or not, being the first one to see one,etc. Our best father and son conversations have taken place in a deer stand. If I never take another deer it would be ok, the feeling I get being with my son when he takes his animal is enough for me. It saddens me to think I only have a couple more years to do this, then he will be old enough to hunt on his own. Yes, leverguns and what they bring to the table are very special to me.

Attachments

#17 ·
I've killed animals at short, medium and long distances with my rifles, up to 200 yards with my handgun (7mm-08) and up to 35 yards with my bow. If I thought I could, I'd try killing them with rocks and a sling.

Just get out and hunt and have fun however you like to do it!

#18 ·
35 Remington is what i shoot, (Marlin 336C). I like the style of the levers and the nostalgia behind them. I have since scoped mine but it's just like the one pictured. I have shot a facing pig right in the head at night at about 70 yards or so. It dropped him without even a squeal, lol!

Attachments

#22 ·
44-40 & 30-30

My family owns a ranch in Linares, Nuevo Leon Mexico. There are many Winchester 1994 30-30 and 1892 44's arround. I have bought one of each and keep them there for whenever i get to go hunting. I am trying convince my 100 year old great uncle for sell me his octagon barrell 30-30 Winchester. He says those type of rifles are form the mexican revolution area. He clims that Pancho Villa and Zapata fought the Americans and French in that region in the early 1900.

I still use mine for javelina and a subspecies whitetail deer called miquihuana which is a lot smaller that a Texas whitetail and a lot more challenging to hunt. These deer crawl in these javelina tunnels that you talk about.

quote=daddyhoney;1891512]I carry a Marlin 41.mag. that started life with a 20" barrel. I wanted it shorter and handy, so I cut it back to 16 1/4" and it still shoots with authority. Many deer have fallen to my different lever guns and like someone else said it is fun being close to the action.

Years ago I was hunting a big spread down near Roma in Starr county. All of us young guys had the reach out a get-em big guns. The Mexican ranch hand that was taking care of us had a pile of huge deer horns out in his back yard. I asked him what he hunted with and sure enough it was a weathered model 94 in 30-30. He said he would slow crawl through the javelina tunnels in the prickley pair and sneek up on out of the way secluded bedding spots. I asked about the rattlers and he said "oh yes, sometime they want to used the tunnel to." Some folks will do what ever it takes. My Mexican friend would do well in Washington.[/quote]

#28 ·
Stovepipe,

I also have an 1892 38-40. Four digit serial number made the first year they made them. Great gun.

I love that 1895 you have. That's one of my "gotta have it before I die" guns. Saw 4 of them at the gunshow this weekend. $3500 for the 30-40 krag, and the 30-06, and I think about $5500 for the "Big Medicine" 405 Teddy Roosevelt caliber. Beautiful guns, but the wrong time in the economy for me to take the leap.

I will have an 1895 before I die, however.

THE JAMMER

#25 ·
Stovepipe, I love that 1892 of yours. All my levers are new production models but I lust after a good shooter of that era. Gun Broker has a few all about $1,000 each.

I have not shot the 38-40 but would like to do so one day. Thanks for sharing the picture. Gary

#27 ·
I roll with a 357 Marlin. It has a peep sight and a skinner front sight post. On Saturday evening, I was being molested by Javalina. Shame on 2 of them! Fifty yards and they rolled over. I waited until my doe was at 40 yards. I took it w/ a shoulder shot. The exit wound was 3/4 inch. The bullet did everything a big gun bullet is supposed to do with no recoil and no need for earplugs while hunting.

I am shooting a 158 grain jhp over H110. I think it is ~20grains. It is a full grain under max anyhow.

Also.... I made a new enemy. I introduced an 11 year old boy to 243 and 38's in a GP100. Now his grandpa has to go out and buy $1000 worth of guns for the kid. Everybody gets to share in the misery of gun-envy.

#30 ·
Levers

Have shot about 8 deer and 2 hogs with Marlin 3030's in last 3 years. Latest was a doe at 30 yds on run last sat of reg season. I wafered up w/earth scent and sat 30 yds from feeder. Definately a rush and it'll be difficult to sit in a box blind @ 75-100 and shoot thru a scope. Aquired a '65 336 .35 rem for next year. Gonna put on a Bushnell 1.5x4.5x30.

Attachments

#31 ·
Having pistols in .357, .40 S&W & .45 LC, I too have developed an itch but in a little different way. I wanted to get rifles that would pair up with my pistols. I was able to sorta scratch it with picking up a Hi-Point carbine in .40 S&W. I'd love to have a couple lever guns in .357 & .45 LC. Since it's not a huge deal I know I don't need one, just want one. :cool:

#32 ·
Having pistols in .357, .40 S&W & .45 LC, I too have developed an itch but in a little different way. I wanted to get rifles that would pair up with my pistols. I was able to sorta scratch it with picking up a Hi-Point carbine in .40 S&W. I'd love to have a couple lever guns in .357 & .45 LC. Since it's not a huge deal I know I don't need one, just want one. :cool:
I'm pretty sure when it comes to guns there is no difference between need and want. :spineyes:

#34 ·
Van, you need to tell her that it is the economical thing to do, matching hand guns to rifles. Just consider the shortage of ammo now days and the benefits the two gun ammo match brings. It really is a blast to walk in the woods plinking at near and far targets while having the two gun choice. Keep trying, Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.