2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Hog Traps

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  texanlegend 
#1 ·
Just curious how everyone runs there. If you have the top cut off, soak corn in diesel or neither. Just curious cause I have only ran them a couple of times. I ask because im fortunate enough to have a job that keeps me in the woods alot, but today was not a good day in the field. I was on the wheeler and went around a corner and heard a loud bang. I turned around and there was a 2.5 yr old 8 point in a hog trap with a broken jaw. It looked like it was broken trying to get out of the trap. In the end I had to call the game warden to come put it down. It could not get out cause the top was on and the corn was spread all over the bottom. I was curious if this was common practice with hog traps or not.

#3 ·
Ouch!!! That had to hurt. The plan was to set the deer free until I noticed its lower jaw was hanging off its face when I got closer to it. I guess it happend when it was trying to get out of the trap. The thing is the door was pretty low on this trap but who knows if it was hungry it was getting in there..

#5 ·
Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done. No matter how small the opening is, if a deer is hungry, it will find a way into a trap. Yes, some deer get hurt, and some must be put down. You did the right thing calling the game warden. But I must say a deer in a trap is about as pleasing as seeing deer run around with broken arrows in them. Hopefully, people are checking their traps daily and letting the deer out. I have seen some traps with dead and decomposing animales because they were set, and forgotten.

Terrible stuff...

#7 ·
are you using a guillotine trap? if so, that may be your issue. We do not use guillotine traps bc they are to easy for deer to enter. the only way they are permitted is if there is an open top. for example, we have a hog trap thats 25yards in diameter with cattle panels for the perimeter w/ a guillotine door. this works for us bc there is no top on the pen and the cattle panels have 6 feet of heavy gauge paneling to prevent the pigs from getting out. the only area we didnt put the extra paneling is above the door so that deer can get out...pretty successful thus far.

if the pig jumps out of the trap then so be it. it will be there another day and you'll have another opportunity to take it. guillotine traps are just not useful sources to trap hogs when there happens to be a high deer population in the area.

#13 ·
ours is a one way door with a top and bottom and we have never caught a deer in 18 years ..im not saying a deer wont push open the door and go in but it seems to deter them at our place ...did i mention that we have a deer feeder mounted on top of our trap and we just open the doors during deer season and hunt it like any other feeder ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.