2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Need deer hunters help...

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  eastmattycjh 
#1 ·
I am very new to deer hunting. I lucked out and had my boss take me to his low fence ranch in south texas this year. I shot my first doe, my first two hogs, and my first "cull" buck. No matter that it was a cull or not i was excited beyond belief. In fact i know where i live in east texas that this deer would've been a huge buck, so i definitely know how lucky i am. I have only duck hunted growing up and i still do that religiously but I have been bit and bit hard by the deer bug. My wife tells me if i get a deer lease i have to give up duck hunting. Well i can't give up duck hunting so i'm looking at trying out some public deer hunting land. I'm about to get some maps of the national forest around me and try to scout it out this spring and summer and gps some locations. What i need help with is some advice on a game cam. I'm thinking about putting up a game cam in some locations that i scout out and see what frequents the area. I know its risky and can get stolen but i'm thinking about climbing a tree and putting it so its not at head level for someone to see. And i'm willing to walk a couple of miles to try and get where most people don't go. Has anyone had any luck with the satellite game cams? I wonder if they can get a good signal out if they are put in dense woods? Or do you have any game cams you would recommend. Here is a picture of the buck i killed. Its getting a shoulder mount done as we speak... he is a main frame 6 point but had two kickers at his base. one was an inch long and the other i could call it a texas point and hang a ring from it.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't get it, why do you have to give up duck hunting if you get a lease? ...or do you have to give up a duck lease? IME the duck hunting on public land is a lot better than the deer hunting, however being further East you have some better opportunities. From what I understand Sam Houston National Forest has some darn good animals if you put in the work for them. Also I wouldn't put anything expensive on public land, cams, feeders, stands, nothing you're not willing to lose.

EDIT: That's a very nice first buck by the way, congrats on that! :)

#5 ·
I don't have any duck hunting leases, i hunt on public land. Trust me, I know this sounds crazy about what my wife is telling me. Since i saltwater fish all during the year except during hunting season, my wife thinks she will not see me anymore if i start deer hunting. I keep trying to explain they are during the same season but she doesn't care. She said shes going to buy some new expensive louie purse if i go buy a new gun. I guess she has some grounds to stand on since i have a bay boat and a duck hunting boat and just bought a new truck last summer. lol, i told her i was going to buy a new gun and keep it at her parents house so she won't ever find out.

#8 ·
If your wife says no, you can always ask your girlfriend...she probably won't mind...j/k

I'm not familiar with east texas but I would agree with the statement about not putting anything on public land that you're not willing to lose. That being said, I do know that some people like to put game cams above the deer, supposedly the flash from above makes the deer think it's lightening. How anyone knows what the he11 a deer is thinking, is beyond me. I wonder if you shoot them from above if they think it's thunder??? Anyway, most cams should have give the range specifications on the box or on their website so maybe that will help you decide how high up to put them.

By the way, that is a fantastic buck. Probably one of the best 6 pointers you'll ever kill. If you were registered in any hunting contests, you'd probably be right up there.

#15 ·
Find a good deer lease and ditch the wife. Any woman that doesn't understand about hunting aint worth keeping! Just kidding LOL Find a "duck lease" with lots of deer to hunt when the birds aren't flying.
Actually, LOL. i had one of those EXACT leases. Said we could deer hunt if we wanted to but we were on it to duck hunt. To bad all we killed was a few wood ducks. We saw as many deer as we did ducks but we weren't into deer hunting at the time. I think i might call that guy back up, but that would put me at buying a feeder, building a stand, and getting a 4 wheeler which my wife would definitely have a fit about.

#16 ·
Heck of a nice deer, one you can feel good about in all regards. A trophy six, first deer and a good cull to take out of the gene pool.

Don't know much about game cams but as far as your wife is concerned start shopping for things with names like Coach, Calvin Klein, Eves St, Lauraunt etc. You play it right you may get that deer lease and some duck hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.