2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

South Texas Late Season Tactics

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  El Cazador 
#1 ·
Been invited to a corporate lease in Dilley this weekend.

I have hunted this property before and have taken one nice 11 in 06'

Typically , I try to get down there a week before Christmas , but my schedule didn't allow it this year.

I have a tripod that is on a secluded area on the lease and it has not been hunted since 06'.

I have seen some decent younger bucks in the area and they will come to rattlin' before X-MAS.

Would it be worth bangin' horns this late?

I will have 4- -6 hunts to take a buck if I can bring one in.There are no shooting lanes in the area , just an old scendero that is never traveled.

Most of the hunters on this lease are there to party and they stay on the top end of the lease in their plush blinds.

I will stay in the field all day.

Any suggestionswould be appreciated.

Brian

See less See more
#2 ·
By all means, RATTLE and keep rattling. I have hunted out of Freer for many years
and I have seen rutting activity right up to February.Young does coming in late are
very attractive to an old dominant buck. Seen some good fights in late season,too.
I'll be down to finish out the season, as well. GOOD LUCK !!!!!

#6 ·
By all means, RATTLE and keep rattling. I have hunted out of Freer for many years
and I have seen rutting activity right up to February.Young does coming in late are
very attractive to an old dominant buck. Seen some good fights in late season,too.
I'll be down to finish out the season, as well. GOOD LUCK !!!!!
This guy has not shot a deer in 15 years on that lease. I know because he lets me shoot all the deer for him. He likes to drive around and drink beer. He is deadly on the coyotes with his savage 223. In south texas, the deer will continue to rut well after the season. The old ranchers down south will tell you, the bigger bucks aren't seen until Feb.

#3 ·
Best bet may be to corn pretty well and bring in the does and hope an old buck cruising for the late does comes by to check them out. This is when those bucks show up out of nowhere looking for a hot doe. I have seen new bucks at the end of the season, just traveling along a road or fence line looking for the right doe. Could be any time of the day.

Rattling may work, or the big boys may be tired of fighting by now.

#7 ·
I have spent quite a bit of time in this blind in past years.

I have never seen a doe.Only some quality younger bucks that I passed to hopefully see again.

One buck has been taken this year and it was not any of the ones I've seen as it was an 8.

Should I relocate my efforts to a blind with a feeder with does present.

Most of the bucks I have seen have been moving in the middle of the day once the corporate partiers have returned to the camp.

Brian

#8 ·
My favorite time to hunt is after the 1st of the year, Yea i love huntin the full rut but it has always seemed like i see more mature deer in janurary. As for tactics, don't have any that others will not tell you. Just hunt late and earlier that most, and ofcourse a little luck never hurt. Let us know how it goes.

#10 ·
I hunt in Tilden, which isn't that far from Dilley, and I rattled in a good 150 class, 5 1/2 year old 10 point last weekend. I would try rattling in the middle of the day hours and then hunt the food in the morning and evenings. They are hungry and stay out there. The older bucks know when everyone is in camp. Good luck.

#12 ·
This time of year, I tend to use the grunt call more than the rattling horns and when using the horns, I use them more for rubbing on a tree. The rubbing can be very effective on mature bucks looking for some late season does.

As far as feeding, I think that deer are more comfortable with feeding on the roads than at a feeder. When I have corn on the roads, I see very few deer at my feeder but all of my roads will have deer on them. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.