2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Time To Fess Up - We've all Goofed!

6K views 33 replies 31 participants last post by  FlakMan 
#1 ·
The Lama post had me laughing. Who could make such a boneheaded mistake? Funny? Absolutely. Also, a little dangerous - we all know not to pull the trigger unless we have 100% identification. Anyway, made me think back to some mistakes I've seen, and even made myself.

So I'll start - but y'all need to fess up as well. What's the funniest/dumbest thing you've done?

Here's mine -

Started hunting in my mid-30s. First hunt was a dove hunt. Wounded a dove. Looked at my buddy and asked him what to I do. He said he twist it's neck. Made a mess of it. Tried to separate the head from body by pulling (not twisting.) He immediately took the dove from my hand, had the dove by the head, and in one quick motion swung the body snapping the neck. I was impressed and a little embarrassed.

Fast forward to spring turkey. I shoot a turkey. Wound it. He turns to me and says, 'do you know what you need to do?' Not wanting to embarrass myself a second time I sprung into action. Grabbed the turkey by the head and started swinging the body. (Just like he did with the dove.) Let me tell you that ol' turkey had a lot more fight in him than the dove ever did. He was pecking and clawing and putting up a big fuss and I was swinging him over my head like a bag of bowling balls.

My friend was laughing his butt off. Apparently, when he said, 'you know what to do?' He meant finish the bird off with another shot. Um, makes sense ...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I too am the victim of a turkey beating ... shot a very good gobbler in Wilcox County Alabama at 40 yards with my ole Win. Model 120 .20 gauge.

Much to my proper training I immediately bolted to the bird at the shot and grabbed him by the neck and got wing beat and spured for a good ten minutes while I tried (12 at the time) to dispatch the bird. I'll try to find the photos of a bloodied me tonight.

But ... the most emabrassing thing that ever happened to me in the woods was ...

A couple of friends of mine put a photo silhouette target of a big whitetail in the grass about 30 yards off the food plot I was hunting. An empty magazine and a phone call from the stand that he was "still there and not moving and I needed more ammunition" later ... and I finally figured it out over the laughing. Man that deer was big ... !

#4 ·
In 1989 I was hunting on a ranch about half way between Hebbronville and Freer. I saw a buck in the sendero 500 or so yards away. Put the scope on 12 power to get a better look at him. Forgot to take it off 12 power. Lets just say that 8 point I shot at 75 yards had a whole lot of ground shrink.

#5 ·
Year - 1984
Town - Pearsall, Tx.
Location - Dove Camp
My Father, Big Earl, had around 1,000 acres of prime dove hunting fields. He would load up all of his customers, sometimes up to 25 customers & BUDDIES, for a great weekend of dove hunting. They arrive at camp on Friday afternoon and get settled in. I, arrive back home from New Orleans from a job on Friday night, just enough time to get one of Pops buddys who couldn't leave with the rest of them. I contact him and away we go. Guns, alcohol, and ammo in the truck.
We arrive around 2am and everyone is sitting around the camp fire. Me, having a few cocktails on the long drive decided once I got off the ground from falling out of the truck, needed to do #2.
Off around the cactus I go, only to begin screaming for assistance some minutes later. Apparently my equilibrium was off just a tad and during my squat, my balance went South, as well as my arse, right onto a big cactus plant. Needless to say the sight around the fire with Pops pulling needles out of my butt and pants around my ankles was a sight to be seen. I guess Pops' BUDDIES felt the glow from the fire was insuffucient lighting and needed extra lighting from all of their cameras
I do miss my Best Friend.

#6 ·
This is not a shooting story, but a good one nonetheless. This happened to a high school buddy of mine. Six of us were dove hunting, and we came back to our cars to find a game warden. He checked our licenses- no problem. He checked our bags for over limits- no problems. Then he started checking for plugs. When he put his hose into my friend's gun it sank to the hilt.

The game warden said,"Son did you know you didn't have your plug in your gun?" "No Sir," he replied. Game Warden, "Have you been shooting 5 shells all day." My buddy, "Oh no sir, just four." Game Warden, "Son you're too dumb for me to give you a ticket." My buddy had no idea what he had just done.

THE "EMBARASSED TO TEARS FOR MY BUDDY" JAMMER.

#7 ·
When I was about 13 or 14, went to Del Rio with my dad and uncles to go deer hunting. Well, we're at the lease, it's mid day, everyone is around the fire eating lunch, drinking beer and telling the morning stories. Some one asked me to pull my dad's truck around to unload fire wood. Well, me being 14 thought I was hot sh!7, put it in reverse and backed over 2 rifles that were in hard cases. After everyone was yelling to stop, I put it in drive and go right back over them! Nothing happened to them at all, cases were a little out of whack. Dad said, "yeah, we'll find out they are ok when you take a shot and the bullet comes back around the canyon and hits you in the arse!" 20 years later, my cousins still bring it up.

#8 ·
Opening day of bow season this year. Assumed no one had messed with my back pack. Got a bad case of the bubble guts right after sun up. I scream down the tree run off in the distance do my business and end up loosing my lucky boxers because my girlfriend had taken my roll of tp out of my back pack a couple weeks earlier!!!

#9 ·
First REAL deer hunting trip of my life, last month. On the way to my boss's south texas deer lease. He tells me on the way down there that they only take bucks 12 points or bigger, cull bucks "on his say so", and this one monster 8 point they figure to be a 170 class B&C. He said, "the 8 point is one of the biggest they have ever seen on the lease and that they have only had 2 chances at him and missed both times. Also he said that i will know what deer he is talking about immediately because it looks like a horse with antlers and that i will say OH MY GOD about ten times." The first morning of the hunt I got in the blind they have seen him around in the past years. I was watching all sorts of 8, 9, 10 points fighting with lots of does around. Out comes this monster deer and goes straight to the feeder. I couldn't see his horns because he was behind the tripod feeder. All i could see was his neck and body and already i was about to **** all over myself. Then he came around the front and i said oh my god about 3 or 4 times before i realized this was the deer my boss was talking about. I glassed him and compared him to the other deer around me and there was no comparison. I was shaking like a tree in a hurricane. I watched him for a couple of minutes just to make sure i wasn't about to make a mistake. I didn't realize the mistake was about to come. I went to raise up my gun and i noticed i hadn't taken the scope caps off. Then i realized if i hadn't done that, i also hadn't loaded one of my shells into the chamber yet. I did all this as quiet as possible! finally as i raise the loaded gun up i notice him trail a doe away from the feeder and i never saw him again. my boss came to pick me up and asked what had happened because it looks like i had seen a ghost. I told him i pulled the biggest bone head move in the world.

#10 ·
In my teens I once shot what I thought would be my first bobcat- instead it was someones housecat.

Another year I shot what I thought was my first turkey, thought he was laying down. I arrived to find a dead jackrabbit.

Put a bullett hole through the cabin roof also unloading my gun.

Glad I made it out of the teen years!

#11 ·
:an4:
In my teens I once shot what I thought would be my first bobcat- instead it was someones housecat.

Another year I shot what I thought was my first turkey, thought he was laying down. I arrived to find a dead jackrabbit.

Put a bullett hole through the cabin roof also unloading my gun.

Glad I made it out of the teen years!
I'm glad you made it through the teen years also..great name for hunters..!!:bounce:

#12 ·
Road hunting in December at 10 degrees out and my buddy puts the rifle down between his legs and loads a round. As he is pulling it up to stick it out the window...........BANG! The round goes through his boot, between the big toe and the second toe and right through the heater core of my sisters 63 Chevy that I had borrowed to go hunting in. My friend is screaming that he's been shot, the car's fogging up from the antifreeze leaking into the front seat at below freezing temps and I'm ******* my pants because I'm laughing so hard.
The bullet just grazed his toes requiring two bandaides, I replaced the heater core before returning the car to my sister, and have never chambered a round sitting inside an automobile since. We were 16 at the time.

#13 ·
Saw one of the biggest bucks I have seen as I was walking back to the truck to exchange 30-06 shells for the 243 shells. Had the wrong gun or wrong bullets either way it wouldn't work. Make sure of ammo ever sinse. The deer looked at me like he knew.

#14 ·
over the christmas break i went for a wade down in christmas bay, grab my mesh sack that has my waders, wading boots, belt and stringer in it, my rod and reel, and my back pack that has my lures, wading jacket, pliers, and my emergency flask of post fishing whiskey, i get down to christmas and jump into my waders and open my back pack to get my wading box out and find a bunch of toy army men, the movie Cars, and a cap gun, i had grabbed my little cousins back pack, luckily i found 3 soft plastic lures a 2 jig heads after ripping apart my car, caught some fish and came home to an angry mom waving a flask full of whiskey!! no bueno!

#15 ·
1. Several years ago a friend got his new bow, nocked an arrow for me to check the arrow length past the rest. As I was reaching up to place a mark on the arrow he pulls the trigger release and sends the arrow through his new home, right through the wall into the master bedroom.

2. Hunting out of Comfort, TX, had a great lunch at a local greazer and headed back to the lease. I get half way and had the stomach rumble. When I get to the gate it is an emergency. I throw open the gate and make a dash to the nearest cover (not much) as I'm doing my thing the game wardens (2) show up at my truck (still running), I'm 15 feet away, well the lady GW starts walking my way, that is until I stand up with my drawers around my ankles. She did a 180 and I never saw them again.

#16 ·
My bonehead move.

Back in the middle 90's, I was sitting in a ground blind with a co-worker and we just knew we were going to get a deer that day. Even with all the joking and laughing and BSing...we were both going home with venison that night.

Yep.

Then I heard something move out in the grass...

[silence]

I raised my rifle and looked through the scope, just in time to see a pair of eyes looking back at me. I didn't know what it was, but it was definitely some kind of animal. Being short of patience and a bit trigger happy...

...BOOM!!!

Little did I know that I had just exploded a little gray fox from about 15 yards with a 270.

We both just stood over what was left of it and didn't say a word.

I still feel bad about it. Definitely one that i'm NOT proud off.

#17 ·
I was around 10 years old and riding around some family friends ranch in New Mexico. We jump what looked to be a monster buck in the thick cedars. It comes to a clearing and freezes. I pull out my SKS and line up open sights. I squeeze the trigger and boom...the deer runs off and dust rises over its back. The "antlers" stayed in place where the deer stood, needless to say he was a she and I was on a buck only hunt.......thank God I missed!

#18 ·
My '66 'Stang

I was fortunate enough to have a father that bought a fixer up Mustang and tought me basic vehicle mechanics while making repairs. It was a peppy 289 that had an extemely light rear end.

Goof #1 - Fishtailed in front of a DPS trooper's house. He was standing in the front yard. I didn't see him until he was in my rear view mirror.
($89 Display of Acceleration citation)

Goof #2 - same car - Fishtailed it into a chain link fence.

Goof #3 - same car - Tried to spray paint to cover up Goof #2 with orange paint...body paint was candy apple red.

Desperation breeds stupidity for me....every time.

#20 ·
My first real deer hunt last year during late spike and doe season on my buddies lease shot a nice doe on the first hunt. 2 days later he lets me hunt on my own. I hadn't seen anything all evening then a lil before sun down I see another nice doe that went off into the brush, I thought she was gone so I was playing with my phone and I look up and there she is at the feeder. Its almost dark and couldn't see all that great but I was trigger happy BOOM!! Dropped her in her tracks. Excited as I was I ran down to her and as it turns out she was actually a 4- point buck. His antlers went straight back and were hidden by his ears. Luckily they brought me back to redeem myself this year. I shot a spike and I studied that deer for at least 10-15 minutes before I shot I was NOT going to make the same mistake twice.

#21 ·
Aransas Pass

Aransas Pass Wildlife refuge archery hunt. It was the first morning of the archery hunt and just barely getting daylight. It was very foggy that morning and a little cool. The mosquitoes were horrible as usual. The guy heard something coming up behind his tripod. He softly blew his grunt call and then rattled his horns. The movement sounded like it was coming closer. He slowly turned around while he was drawing his bow back. Fully turned around and nock rested on his cheek he saw an animal coming through the brush. WHAPP the arrow hit with a thud! And then he heard a loud yell for HELP! Holy crud he had shot a human. The arrow hit another hunter in the leg. The guy most likely would have survived but they have strict rules out there. ANYTHING you shoot must be filled dressed before you bring it in to be weighed and logged. <smiles>

#22 ·
around 13 years of age my cousin and I had made us bows out of willow limbs. We bought wooden cedar arrows and got pretty good shooting. One day a cocky friend of his was visiting and bragging and also talking bad about our homemade bows. He was smoking a cigarette about 10 feet away and all of a sudden he sticks out his neck and says "I bet you can't hit this". Before the words got of his mouth I drew and shot and to this day I do not know how I hit the cigarette. It scared the &*(%%$ out of him and he wanted to whip my $%^&. I knew I had screwed up when I got to thinking I could have killed him. Needless to say when my dad found out I got a major $#%^ whipping.

#23 ·
around 13 years of age my cousin and I had made us bows out of willow limbs. We bought wooden cedar arrows and got pretty good shooting. One day a cocky friend of his was visiting and bragging and also talking bad about our homemade bows. He was smoking a cigarette about 10 feet away and all of a sudden he sticks out his neck and says "I bet you can't hit this". Before the words got of his mouth I drew and shot and to this day I do not know how I hit the cigarette. It scared the &*(%%$ out of him and he wanted to whip my $%^&. I knew I had screwed up when I got to thinking I could have killed him. Needless to say when my dad found out I got a major $#%^ whipping.
This one falls under the category of "Don't start any ***** and there won't be any *****". Lippy punks need to be put in place every now and then.

#24 ·
1) When I was about 11 years old and quail hunting out in West Texas with my dad, his friend, and his friend's son that was my age. We got stopped by the Game Warden and he was checking out dad's licenses while we sat in the Jeep about 20' away. We had just gotten new .410's for Christmas and I wanted to shoot his, so I took aim into the bushes and shot. That GW came off the ground about 10 feet!!!!!!

2) Also quail hunting, I shot at a covey that came up between me and my dad's Suburban, which was about 75' away from me. I chased the covey for about 15 minutes and came back to see my dad brushing the rest of the tempered glass from the back window off with his glove! (he was actually pretty cool about it...even though there were pellet dents all over the back door!)

#25 ·
uh oh!

I shot my first dove when I was eight. It was still flopping around so I shot it again. I was shooting a twelve gauge and the dove was ten feet away. Nuff said. My father told me of a story where his friend killed a mockingbird and slipped it in his friend's bird bag. He thought it would be funny for him to pull it out of his bag while cleaning birds and be like, what the @#$%. Not so funny when they rounded a corner and saw a GW waiting for them at their trucks.

#26 ·
Many years ago,Several friends were hunting a buddies ranch south of Ozona. Late (very late) that evening we were on the Blacktop ranch and come across a solid 140" 12 point. We decide to let one guy who is the very best rifle shot I have ever known take the shot. 1st shot - the deer doesn't even flinch. 2nd shot he flinches a little. 3rd shot he finally runs off. We are dumbfounded(and dumb). A few days after the hunt the shooter calls and says "Hey - I was telling my brother-in-law about what happened Friday night on the way back from Acuna. He says 'Oh yeah - I made a few adjustments to your scope last week! THought you'd think it was funny!" Anyway he takes it to the range and the thing is shooting about 4' high at 50 yards! Pretty funny practical joke. Good thing we weren't on a paid hunt!

#27 ·
Many years ago,Several friends were hunting a buddies ranch south of Ozona. Late (very late) that evening we were on the Blacktop ranch and come across a solid 140" 12 point. We decide to let one guy who is the very best rifle shot I have ever known take the shot. 1st shot - the deer doesn't even flinch. 2nd shot he flinches a little. 3rd shot he finally runs off. We are dumbfounded(and dumb). A few days after the hunt the shooter calls and says "Hey - I was telling my brother-in-law about what happened Friday night on the way back from Acuna. He says 'Oh yeah - I made a few adjustments to your scope last week! THought you'd think it was funny!" Anyway he takes it to the range and the thing is shooting about 4' high at 50 yards! Pretty funny practical joke. Good thing we weren't on a paid hunt!
You took deer rifles into Mexico????

#28 ·
20 years later the truth fianally comes out.....

30 years ago my father & his sons were invited to go deer hunting on one of his vendors deer lease around Junction. We had arrived to the lease just in time to see a man that was riding a horse w/ rifle in hand coming into camp. Walking in front of him was a man with his hands tied behind his back being pushed by the guy on the horse. Turns out the guy on the horse was the ranch forman & the guy tied up being brought into camp was a poacher. The forman introduced himself & left a lasting impression as being someone you don't want to upset. Well he took the poacher into town & came back to go over all the rules of the lease. He also mentioned that there was a MASSIVE trophy hog in a particular area for us to shoot if seen. We went about our hunt & killed many deer that trip w/ lasting memories.

Fast forwarding 20 years we are having dinner & drinks over at my dads & this hunting trip comes up. My dad finally fesses up to something that he did that trip. Hunting in one of the blinds about 100 yards in front of him was pasture w/ a slight hill. At dawn he noticed a huge black object walking just on the other side of the hill & got his gun ready knowing it was this prized hog. He squeezed the trigger & knew he made an great shot but due to the hill he couldn't see the outcome. He waited several minutes climbed out of the blind & went down to see his trophy hog. As he came over the top of the hill he says he nearly started to urinate himself. He had immediate thoughts running through his mind to when we first drove into camp seeing how the forman was treating that poacher. Well has he gets closer he sees that the black hog is actually a prized bull w/ tag in his ear. The bull is standing with blood coming out of it's nose.

I'll be back to tell you the rest of the story....

#29 ·
Redheaded Woodpecker

I was about 9 years old and was at our deer lease in Groveton,Tx. I had just got a new 20 gauge single shot. My cousins and I were walking around behind camp shooting squirls and birds when i see this bird fly up to the top of the tree. Well it was game on, raised up the gun and BOOM!!!! I was proud of myself. I come walking back into camp with the woodpecker and yell out check out what we got. My dad and uncle come around the corner and my uncle immediately says what have you done. Do you know that you aren't allowed to kill these birds. They are protected. He then tells me that he is an assistant game warden and that he was going to have to take me to jail. My dad said,"sorry son there is nothing i can do for you." The tears start pouring out of me and I am thinking that i am going to be living on bread and water for the next 20 years..... My dad and uncle got a big laugh out of it..
I am 34 now and to this day won't even look at a redheaded woodpecker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.