2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Sticky Pad

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TXDRAKE 
#1 ·
Ok guys, solve this one. My next door neighbor has a Remington 700 SPS with a R3 recoil pad that stays sticky all the time. He said it came out of the box 3 years ago this way and has tried everything from alcohol to household cleaners and so on. Anybody had this problem or can anyone tell me what we can use to resolve? Lent, dust and different foreign matter sticks to the pad. Thanks, Bobberbob

#3 ·
Did he buy it new? or did he buy it from someone else (NIB)? Before I replaced the felt in by gun cabinet (in the cut-outs for the butt and barrels), the old adhesive leaked through the felt and use to stick to the recoil pads. It was very hard to remove.

Whatever it is, can probably be removed with nail polish remover.

#5 ·
I have seen some recoil pads that where manufactured to be slightly sticky. It is suppose to help with keeping the recoil pad from slipping off the shoulder while aiming and firing. It could be that they used to much of the sticky substance during the manufacturing of the pad. Also, could be that whatever solvent he used could have caused the pad to melt or degrade slightly making the pad overly sticky. But, could just be an issue with the rubber used. Just my .02!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.