2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Boat Show Goose Hunt

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bucksnort 
#1 ·
While at the Boat Show, I commented to Capt. Danny Neu that if I had to put up with Houston traffic much longer, they were going to see my face on the 10 o'clock news. I needed a break. Danny talked to his brother Jeff and told him of my plight. He said maybe I should go shoot something. I told them I had been tempted to do just that several times on the freeway that week. A few more phone calls and we quickly had a hunting party rounded up.

Now, I have never seriously hunted geese but Jeff and Danny along with Capt. Jesse Arsola, Capt. Ryan Rachunek and Brian Simmons new exactly what to do. It was a real pleasure to hunt with this group.

3:00 am came real early but I was a little excited about the prospects. Jeff had mentioned that with a forecast of light winds and "blue bird" skies, that it wasn't exactly ideal conditions for what we were attempting. I met up with half the crew at the Sealy Whataburger and the rest met us in Garwood. We then headed to a super secret location and unloaded our gear.

Jeff has a neat set up for transporting decoys, hunters and equipment into the field and in no time, I was learning the fine art of deploying a spread of windsock style decoys. It took us a while but we finally had a spread of 800+ and were dug in for the duration.

At legal shooting light, the action started. It was much better than our fearless leader had predicted and with Jeff's skill at mouth calling, we had geese cupping and dropping out of the sky all morning. It was quite a sight to see. I managed a quick video during one volley. We had several like this.

Garwood Goose Hunt

It was a long day but well worth it. Thanks again to my humble hosts on a great hunt.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.