2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

ANYONE interested in splitting cost on vineson?

4K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  Ninjazx9rrida 
#1 ·
I had two deer processed recently and got a little carried away! i figured about 120-150.00 a deer but i was way off! the bigger of the two got finished today and cost me 326.oo. it was over 40lbs deboned. i got 30lbs smoked 30lbs pan and 30lbs of burger. 37.00 of it was the 5lbs of jerkey i had done. This deer was done at juniors smoke house in crosby. (very good i might add!)

the other deer will be ready thursday. i had it done at goings in baytown. i got 25% smoked jalepeno/cheese 25% pan 25% burger and 25% cutlets/stew meat. this one will prob be 175.00-200.00

i believe the burger is 60/40 and i cant rem. the split on the sausage. i think either 60/40 or 50/50
I am the only one in the house that eats deer meat. i usually give some away, but 500.00 on meat is a little stiff right now! not to mention i cant eat it by next season!

If anyone is interesed in some sausage or hamburger or anything let me know!

Im in highlands/baytown area!
thanks
Treb

its all wrapped good to. no paper

See less See more
#2 ·
Junior makes some good stuff. Check up on the game laws though, as Im not for certain, but you might be in a grey area when it comes to selling game. If someone is just paying the cost of processing, it might be different. Like I said, I dont know for sure, and Im sure you dont intend to break any rules, but you might run it by a GW just to make sure. That said, if you find out you have a green light to do this, PM me. Im interested in some mild pan sausage if you have some. My processor messed up and made it all with jalapenos, and the wife cant eat it. I cuss them, but they are making it right, so Ill give them another chance, and no, I wont say who messed it up since they are going out of their way to make it right.

Im sure whether Im right or wrong, Someone on the board knows for sure, and will speak up soon.

#3 ·
I know what sounds right isn't always the rule, but common sense should prevail in that it would be morally right to split costs and meat to promote maximum consumption of the harvest. Seemns as though it should be allowed as long as no profit was made on the transaction.

#5 ·
Im with you Cowboy. Id just make sure all my ducks are in a row first. If its just paying for the processing, I dont see how that would matter at all. In other words, if it was $200 to process a 100# deer, and each person paid $100 for 50#, then I cant find any law that has been broken, as the money is being paid for a service, not the meat.

#6 ·
I would do some checkn before you do anything NOW, as IMO you have set the table to be busted if it is indeed against the law. When we did processing we would have people (LAW) ask to 'buy' some deer bones out of our dumpster, when told to get all they wanted they would insist on paying, when all was said and done they would leave with NONE. The law is out there doing their job...WW

#9 ·
I had a deer and a hog done at Jackson's in Crosby... I paid $200 for both. Got 55 lbs of sausage, 15 lbs ground meat, 15 lbs of pan sausage, steaks, 15 lbs slim jims. Sausage costs $1.00/lb. For what you paid, they should have thrown in a couple cases of Sirloins!

#17 ·
First of all, I don't believe Treb meant to sell the meat, simply asked for compensation for the processing. I don't see anything wrong with that!

I bought cigarettes for my Dad once, when I was about 12 years old. That was around the mid 60's, don't know if there was a law against it then.

SoL, you can call youself anything you want! That's our prerogative. And if you can find a better way for ATF to fine business owners selling to minors, I'm SURE they'll be all ears for ya!:rotfl:

#22 ·
Hey Ninja! Ya gotta watch out for the JGW's on here! :) If ya run out and someone needs more pm me. Got 4 deer in the cooler and will have one more this weekend with any luck. Can't eat all of it and usually give some away to friends and family.
Brice
Wasnt trying to be a JGW. I figured the deal was for splitting the processing fee, not selling the meat, and just wanted to advise Ninja to make sure everything was OK as far as the law went. I wasnt sure either, and was looking forward to the answer.

I was reading the story of the spineless poacher who killed Bucky a couple weeks ago, and they were interviewing a GW who mentioned that they get info on bad 'hunters' from message boards. I for one am all for it. Im not saying that any of us 2coolers are in that small group, but I have seen other boards that I dont post on where you would be amazed at what some folks will do, like posting pictures of themselves with fish that are undersized and way over the limit. If a GW happens to see a post like that, (highly unlikely on 2cool) and can use it as a tool to hold someone accountable for their actions, I say more power to them.

#21 ·
Jr's must be good, because I've heard of his outrageous prices for years. But he's still in business. Everyone I've ever talked to that did business with them complains of his prices. I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone leaving out of there for less than $200. With that said, I've never processed any of my deer there and I can't say I've had any deer sausage from there. I have had pork sausage and it was real good.

#25 ·
Ya lol. I got 5lbs jerkey. 37.00
30 lbs smoked sasuage - @120.00
30lbs pan - 97.00
30 lbs burger - 30-40.00
55.00 process fee

they saaid it was over 40lbs of meat once deboned

as far as the LAW goes. I didnt see any prob with splitting process fees.
i called the laport TPWD office and left my info. the local warden is going to call sometime.

Ill let you guys know what he says!!!

#29 ·
Please understand the law:

From the TPW Game warden reports ( I am not accusing anyone of anything, just hoping to help avoid a situation):

No, you can't buy (or sell) it:
On Nov. 25, a Garland law enforcement clerk received a call from someone inquiring about the legality of selling deer meat. The caller forwarded the clerk an Internet posting by a man attempting to sell a deer he had at a processor in Garland. The clerk quickly forwarded the e-mail to the district supervisor, who contacted a Dallas County game warden to investigate. The game warden arrived at the processor before the exchange took place and parked in the back of the building. The game warden then identified and filed on the seller for illegal sale of white-tailed deer meat. He then had the seller wait inside until the buyers arrived and observed the purchase of the meat. The game warden then filed on the buyer for illegal purchase of white-tailed deer meat. The deer meat was seized.

#32 ·
Guys, guys, guys that is way too expensive to have game processed. I had two bucks and 4 hogs processed(including sausage ) at a lot less than that. It ended up costing me about 50 cents a pound which makes it affordable. heck, you can almost buy it cheaper at Fiesta.
You didnt give the most important info. Where? And how did it turn out? I dont mind paying more for a better quality job, but some of the processors are getting a little high in my opinion. It just cost me $240 to get an axis doe and about 60# of hog processed. I had 25# J/C sausage, 10# stix, some pan, and the rest ground. This year Im going to get myself a good set of cutting tools, and a grinder and start doing it myself. Hunting is way too expensive as it is, without the processors jacking the prices up too. Im all for them making a living, and dont mind paying a little extra for good work, but last year I paid half of what it cost and that was for two whitetails and two hogs. I also noticed that the processor, who I wont call out on this board, charged me for fat that was presumably used for the sausage. This wouldnt bother me, but the hog had been feeding on corn, and had plenty of fat without me having to pay for more.
All that said, I have had work done by Junior, and I can say in good faith that you might beat his prices, but you cant beat his meat!:cheers:

#31 ·
Ya'll just don't know anything about sales. Let's say that I have 10 pounds of beautiful catfish fillets, that you want. Well, I can't sell them to you, cause I don't have a license to sale.

So, I pick up a rock off the ground and say, hey, I willl sell you this rock for 30 dollars and with every rock purchase, I willl throw in 10 pounds of beautiful catfish fillets for FREE..

I think that is considered a loop hole. Something to get rid of your meat, without actually selling it. It works with a blade of grass, a stick, alll knds of stuff. Trust me.. You will not be breaking the law. I have seen rocks go for way more than 30 dollars(Diamonds).. So who is to say you got a bad deal, or paid too much for your rock. And you got free meat as a bonus..

#34 ·
Ya'll just don't know anything about sales. Let's say that I have 10 pounds of beautiful catfish fillets, that you want. Well, I can't sell them to you, cause I don't have a license to sale.

So, I pick up a rock off the ground and say, hey, I willl sell you this rock for 30 dollars and with every rock purchase, I willl throw in 10 pounds of beautiful catfish fillets for FREE..

I think that is considered a loop hole. Something to get rid of your meat, without actually selling it. It works with a blade of grass, a stick, alll knds of stuff. Trust me.. You will not be breaking the law. I have seen rocks go for way more than 30 dollars(Diamonds).. So who is to say you got a bad deal, or paid too much for your rock. And you got free meat as a bonus..
WON'T work!!!!...WW

#33 ·
So wouldn't allowing someone to pay you for a trophy buck, cull buck , doe (Kill Fee) be illegal. You are actually buying the deer you killed right. What's the difference between the processed meat and the deer standing under the feeder on a private ranch.

By the way all you JGW need to find something better to do with your time. The guy needed help paying for the processing fee the way I see it the other guy is paying for the pork used in the mix not the deer and just getting the venison as a bonus. The deer didn't cost anything (I know it was alot more etc...) the money being spent is to cover the fees added to the meat by the processor. Labor, time, and mix.... the Deer meat has ZERO cost to the processor and is not included in his fees....

#36 ·
Im still waiting for a call from the GW, but i figure it will be best for the meat to just stay in my freezer!!! i guess you could say we will be eating good at work for the next year!

Thanks for the inquires though fellas, but due to the grey area of the law ill just keep the meat! hey its just money right! I make to much money to get in trouble over a few hundred bucks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.