2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Predator Calling

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  warcat 
#1 ·
So I've got a wild hair about doing this.... I've never done it before and would like some tips. Not sure if it was a good move, but I bought a mini digital call very similar to this (didn't want to spend a heckuva lot of money on something that I've never done before):
http://natchezss.com/product.cfm?co...odID=ELMP602&prodTitle=MINI PHANTOM -PREDATOR

A few questions for the experts...

Will this call work? Where/how should I set up? Which sound works best for cats (bobcat)? I'm planning on trying it out with my .223 right after deer season. I've seen a bobcat or two on game cam along with the coyote howls every evening... Any tips would be great!

#3 ·
Camo, camo, and more camo. Cover up everything. Be really still. Yotes will try and circle to wind you so be ready. Cats normally just come in to the call. Set the call a good ways from you. Might add a wounded rabbit or some moving type decoy near the call to get them to focus on it. However if the yotes have not had any pressure may not need it. Once you shot move to another location that is out of hearing range. Good luck

#4 ·
I'm thinking of setting up in the middle of a field in a small patch of brush. That way I've got a view all around me... Is that the right plan? Also, since the call I bought seems to be a handheld (mini), should I keep the call on me, or still set it out away from me?

These animals have never been pressured, and should come right in (at least I would think they would??). I'm really looking for a cat, but if I get yote shots, I might take them.

#5 ·
I have one of those, but I added one of these to it. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104031
You can add almost as much speaker wire as you want and put a mini headphone plug on the end. It plugs right into the caller. That way the varmints come in to the speaker and not you.
You can also plug the jack into one of these http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665089310
You can find calling sounds for free on the internet and burn them on a CD to use with the Walkman.
It may not be a Fox Pro or a Johnny Stewart, but it's a lot cheaper and it works.
Good luck to ya!

#8 ·
Go visit the Texas Predator Posse, this is what they do and can be of great assistance to you. Your caller needs to be away from your stand, as was mentioned lots of camo, pay close attention to the wind, be very still, very quiet, be ready to shoot fast, watch your back cuz you never know where they are going come from, and a shotgun as a backup is advised. We have mountain lions that are being seen more and more in our hunting areas, and to them we are part of the food chain, I would suggest a hunting partner. This is loads of fun and once you get started, your hooked.

#9 ·
To answer your question, I would not have the call anywhere near me. Second I would not hunt out in the middle of a field unless this field has a lot of cover in it. I would not try and hunt 360 degrees. You cannot cover that much and you will move to much. Not knowing your " field" I can,t really tell you about it. Make sure it has lots of cover in it for them yotes to move around. I personally like to hunt on one side of a draw or side of a hill where I can see across to the top of another hill. Yotes seem to like to run along the edges and ridges of these hills. It takes time and practice that is what it takes. One way to hunt the cat is to set out some bait. One yesar we had taken some ducks or a pig I don,t remember and we put them in a small open spot. We backed off about 100 yards after dark and set for an hour. On the count of three I turned on the spot light and my son fired. Killed a nice cat. Use a dead chicken, rabbits or any game parts to try and get a cat in.

#10 ·
The field is regularly planted in the summer with hay grazer, approximately a rectangle- 600 yards by 150 yards with a tiny 20 yard island of brush more or less in the middle. This particular field is bordered by heavy south texas brush on three sides, with a dry creek on the fourth side. There aren't any real hills on my place. I was planning on being on the ground, but am rethinking that. I could move a tripod into the brush island...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.