2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Ruger P94 any good?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  justletmein 
#1 ·
I've been drooling over new handguns since I almost got one for Christmas, looking at the Sigs and XD's. A friend of mine heard I was looking and has a Ruger P94 in .40 and said he'd do a trade with me for it. I'm just looking for opinions on general quality and functionality for this weapon because I haven't really looked at the Rugers.

#2 ·
I love mine. It will jam up on occasion if it gets extreamly dirty, but not many manufacturers won't. Worth the money in my opinion. When mine has jambed up it was after running several clips through it in a short amount of time. Just add a little barrel scrubber and rem oil and you will be good for a nother 500 rounds. Don't let that scare you away from this gun. I love mine and would trust my life to it if needed!

#6 ·
What are you trading?
Live rocks from my aquarium, yes they're expensive! lol

I don't like them. Just my opinion but you asked. I would much rather have the XD
That's OK that's what I need to know. Any negatives in specific or you just like the look and feel of the XD better?

#7 ·
No. Nothing specific, just never have liked it. Could be a fine gun but to me it just does not feel right. Feels sorta cheap to me. Call me biased, I'm just an old 1911 .45 kinda guy. So if you like the way it feels and shoots go for it. Just my .02

#8 ·
Fuelin took the words out of my mouth. Nothing wrong with Rugers, and Ive owned a few of them. Last one being the P345. They are built like tanks, and dependable. However, to me there is nothing like a 1911. I have three in different sizes, and the Ultra Carry II feels like it was made for me. IMO Sigs are overpriced, but the XD models, especially the XDMs are a great pistol for the price. If you are looking for something to conceal, the XD would be the way to go depending on the size. The P94 isnt hard to conceal, but for some reason, I just find it bulky, so its not for me.

I have a reef too, and I know what live rock goes for. If it isnt going to mess up your filtration in your reef, I think I would go for the deal, as long as its what you are looking for. Take it to a range and get a fell for it, then decide.

#10 ·
Thanks everyone, I told him to bring it on over so I'll probably get it. If I don't like it later I'll take it to a gun show and see if I can trade up to an XD or something.

I have a reef too, and I know what live rock goes for. If it isnt going to mess up your filtration in your reef, I think I would go for the deal, as long as its what you are looking for. Take it to a range and get a fell for it, then decide.
No problem with that, I've got about 125 lbs in my sump and another 150 lbs or so in the display. I just plain have way too much.

#9 ·
I have a ruger P98 that some one gave to my dad years and years ago and it set in his tool box at work so i took it off his hands and rebilt it and reblued it and it like brand new i love it its easy to to break down to clean and shoots good to (my wife shoots it with no problems) and you cant destroy them but i will shut up now its a good gun for the money
P.S. mine is for sale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.