2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Monster Horns!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Spec-Rig.006 
#1 ·
While dozing on the ranch (dozer, not sleeping) this piece of antler turned up! Looks to be a few years old...

It's 6.5" around at the base. The main beam is broken off after around 6-7" and is 5.5" around where it's broken off! Weighs 12 oz!

1.5" to the first point, 4" to the second...

but I would sure love to see this thing in the FALL!! This goes along with some tracks we've found (have a plaster casting of one) where the hoof print is easily 4" from front to back! I'm not making this up! Crazy swamp deer!

Someone get the History channel out here...we've got a MonsterQuest!! (On second thought, they never find anything...so maybe they should stay out of it...:rotfl:)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
bagman,

The more I think about it..the more I think you're right. I'm not familiar with elk antlers at all, but looked these up online. The two brow tines (I guess you would call them that) match perfectly with what I have. One is very close to the base, the second is just a few inches higher. There's no turn to the main beam until well after the second tine.

Also, the tracks that we found many years ago, of which we have made a plaster cast, are more of an appropriate size for elk. (That's a 6 inch ruler and the size of that elk track coincides almost exactly with what we found). Haven't seen the large tracks in some years.

This is on a low-fenced ranch on the Navasota river outside of Bryan/College Station. So maybe someone's elk got loose and was later killed? I've certainly never seen one out there!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.