2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Have you ever been stranded outdoors?

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  great white fisherman 
#1 ·
The weather, this time of year, is so unpredictable and can catch you off-guard. You need to be prepared for any unintentional overnight excursions.

I always throw some warm clothing in a drybox,should a mild day turn bad. I've got a lighter, some fire starter sticks, a thermal blanket and food stashed away, should I need it. I try to remember to always bring the cellphone, but sometimes forget. :headknock

I've been stuck a couple of times over the years. It's always fun!:help: I spent more than one night on the Pennisula, in West Matagorda. I've also had to stay in Baffin once during the spring. Hurricane force winds hit a little after lunch along with driving rain. We were luckily only in about 3 foot of water when it hit. Even then it was a little scary. Several boats were swamped and a couple of houses didn't make it through that one. The weatherman said that they recorded over 80mph winds in Corpus.

#2 ·
I got stuck at my deer lease in Junction for 3 days once back in 1983 after a huge ice storm. It sleeted all night and most of the next day that i was supposed to be going home. I heard on the radio that I-10 was closed so I didn't try to leave. The next 2 days the temp hovered at zero or below and none of the ice melted. I ran out of propane the second day and there was ice INSIDE of the trailer. Luckily I had plenty of gas in the truck and could ride around a little on the ranch to get warm. Everything was moving around looking for food.

#3 ·
Got stuck on the wrong side of the Devils River with Borderbandit. It came torrential flood and there was no way we were crossing the river. We were doing a ram hunt. Ended up pretty good for my son. Since we were stuck, Bandit took him out and he got a ram also. Actually it was a great time. We barely got out the next day.

#13 ·
Got stuck on the wrong side of the Devils River with Borderbandit. It came torrential flood and there was no way we were crossing the river. We were doing a ram hunt. Ended up pretty good for my son. Since we were stuck, Bandit took him out and he got a ram also. Actually it was a great time. We barely got out the next day.
We've been trapped on the wrong side of the Dry Devils River yrs back, luckly we were on the way home, if we were trying to get there I would have been somewhat pizzed...WW

#4 ·
About 15 years ago I got lost on a Spring turkey hunt in Alabama over night. We caught a late season cold front, got soaking wet, and couldn't find my way out even with a good map and a compass ... not fun in the Alabama river bottom in those conditions.

And ... I've been stranded in Junction twice behind high water on two different occasions.

#5 ·
i went fishing when a northern hit and left my boat standing on the sand. In fact the water was a good 100 yards from the boat. We had nothing but beer and the fish we caught. It got cold and we didn't have matches or a lighter. I took some driftwood off the beach and gas out of the boat. I then took my flare gun and shot the driftwood and then we had fire. I tried eating drum over the fire but without tonys it tasted horrible. My buddy and I couldn't leave until the next morning. We did catch both our limits of reds and trout.

#8 ·
Myself and and a couple of buddies got stranded up around loma alta a few years back. It was a three day weekend, I want to say it was labor day. Anyway, it started raining pretty hard Friday night when we got there and all those draws up there started running pretty good. They had pretty much run their course in a day or so but we were hoping that we would be stranded for a week or so as long as we could get a rescue chopper in to drop off some beer.

#9 ·
got stranded on a ranch outside of Kerrville...

It was me, my dad and my buddy...we were on my buddy's ranch outside of Kerrville off Hwy 41. It was about 10 or so years ago ( I dont remember extactly what year). Anyway, we were hunting for the weekend and the weather turned bad on Saturday...it rained and rained and rained, all the rain started gushing down the dry creeks and washed out all the back roads we used to get to and from the deer lease. We woke on Sunday to a bitter cold, ice on the ground and it was determined that we were going have to extend our stay for atlease one or 2 more days until the county came and maintaned/repaired the road. Good thing we had plenty of food, water & beer! We stayed in an old house so getting out of the weather was good. We kept the fireplace going and made the best of it and continued our hunt until it was time to go home. All in All...it wasn't all that bad...we got to hunt for a few more days! : }

#10 ·
The weather, this time of year, is so unpredictable and can catch you off-guard. You need to be prepared for any unintentional overnight excursions.

I always throw some warm clothing in a drybox,should a mild day turn bad. I've got a lighter, some fire starter sticks, a thermal blanket and food stashed away, should I need it. I try to remember to always bring the cellphone, but sometimes forget. :headknock

I've been stuck a couple of times over the years. It's always fun!:help: I spent more than one night on the Pennisula, in West Matagorda. I've also had to stay in Baffin once during the spring. Hurricane force winds hit a little after lunch along with driving rain. We were luckily only in about 3 foot of water when it hit. Even then it was a little scary. Several boats were swamped and a couple of houses didn't make it through that one. The weatherman said that they recorded over 80mph winds in Corpus.
how do you forget a cellphone? that's the most important piece of surivival equipment you could bring. lol

#11 ·
how do you forget a cellphone?
It's actually quite easy. For one thing, it doesn't stay in the drybox like the other survival items do. I actually have to remember to stick it in the boat each time or it gets forgotten.

By the way, the cell phone can help you to notify someone that things have gotten, bad but it can't keep you warm while you're waiting for the weather to get better or for help to come.

#14 ·
Years and years ago right after my dad died my uncle took me to Houston to spend some time fishing with him. He had a motor and rented a aluminum boat somewhere down around Galveston. This was like a 16ft v hull small boat. We headed out befre dark as he wanted to fish some shallow reef where we got out of the boat and sat in chairs on the reef and fished for red fish using lanterns. I remember a big thunderstorm was building over Texas City so he said we needed to go. We took off in the dark and all the sudden he runs aground and shears the pin onn the motor. Here we are stuck out in the bay in a very small boat, dark as heck and I am scared to death. We are miles from shore and storm is getting bigger and bigger. Uncle George gets out of the boat and starts pulling it for a long long time. Finally it is to deep and he has to crawl back in the back. We paddle all night long and reach shore just after daylight. Thank God the storm did not hit us. I was one scared kid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.