2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

New Hunting Club Advice

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  thatdoggJake 
#1 ·
The company I work for recently dropped our lease of 30 years in which I had the opportunity to manage or play the role of Camp Master. Fortunately, I was able to work out a deal with the land owner to continue the legacy. In my previous role, I had full authority from establishing rules to harvest allowances. Now, with a "club" of equally paying members, I'm having a hard time developing rules that are fair and worth the members dues while still maintaining the lease I've helped develop over the years. I've been a very strict manager and held a hard line on harvests around mature animals,culls or ratio adjustments. I could really use some 2 cool advice here especially around the following:

Harvest- What is fair number of animals per member while holding a hard line on management?

Guests- How many? Harvest rights?

Anything else that you might think of you would appreciated.

Ted

#2 ·
In my opinion it should be a family lease with one trophy,cull and does accordingly.If there are a few older spikes showing up in different places they should be taken as well usually by the wife or kids.And then all the hogs and other varmints.Any management minded hunter shoulnt have a problem with rules.As far as any other guests besides the family i would say bring them in the off season or for extended doe and spike season if there is one.Any other time they shouldnt be allowed to hunt.
Its also a good idea to video any buck that a hunter thinks is a trophy and a decision should be made to take or not after the video is reviewed.A trophy to some might not be to you.And make sure you put management minded hunters on the lease be sure they know how to age deer and score them on the hoof.Be sure they are the type people you want to hunt arround.Maybe have a probationary year clause in the contract so if they do not work out the first year you can ask them to leave.The main thing is if you want to manage the place properly you have to have the same mentality in the hunters you put on the place.

#3 ·
10R, do it the same as you did before. If you hadn't been doing a good job, I promise the landowner would not have you back.

As far as the latitude you have setting harvests etc, get some professional TPWD help, figure out what the right buck doe/ratio and carrying capacity of the land is and allocate accordingly.

It may help you to think of yourself as Manager rather than Master. You know already about dealing with the owner, now you just have to extend those philosophies to the resource. The advice above about having a probation period is good, as well as like minded hunters.

In addition, think about putting a contract in place with the sublease people, I am thinking you are responsible for collecting the money and paying the lease, correct? Make sure the lease contract states you can be terminated for any reason, solely at YOUR discretion, and that the hunter agrees to follow all the rules developed by YOU. Failure to follow = lease end. Make them sign a copy of the rules EACH season, and file. There is always a guy who thinks he can bend one, and he will be back next year regardless. Make an early example and that won't happen twice.

I think you will find your previous latitude is rare on most leases, and kudos to your landowner for seeing that you are a good manager. It seems as if your concern is that "every one has a say in the lease". Well...... if you want to keep a good thing going, they DON'T!!! And if you let them think they do, it ain't gonna be pretty, but I think you already know that. Worst thing I ever did was ask a couple of lease "partners" about how to handle something I already knew what to do about. Next thing they are talking to the landowner about stuff he and I had already set in place. He called me and asked " who did I trust the lease to - you or them?". He wants to see only ONE guy that he handles stuff with.

Be in charge, be fair to all, don't let what I call the "angle shooters" think they are in charge and you will hopefully have 30 more years of bliss on Earth. Good luck,

MM

#7 ·
In addition, think about putting a contract in place with the sublease people, I am thinking you are responsible for collecting the money and paying the lease, correct? Make sure the lease contract states you can be terminated for any reason, solely at YOUR discretion...

MM
Can't imagine anyone signing that contract. Who would give their money when the manager can tell them don't come back for no reason at all?

#4 ·
I agree with the other two replys. As for guests, I have always wanted to hunt with friends/family. Depending on what your quota for deer is per person, then decide on wheather the guests can shoot or not, but what they shoot will be counted oun the "paying hunters" allowed number of deer. Even if guests can't shoot, I would still allow them. Just my two cents.

#5 ·
Win Their Trust

"I had full authority from establishing rules to harvest allowances. Now, with a "club" of equally paying members, I'm having a hard time developing rules that are fair and worth the members dues while still maintaining the lease I've helped develop over the years. I've been a very strict manager and held a hard line on harvests around mature animals,culls or ratio adjustments."

My 2 cents - There is no doubt that you are a great manager and know the lease, but listen to what the new folks want and make your ideas seem like their's. You may have to compromise a little this year, but it will make for a nice experience for all y'all. Please let me know if you have an opening.

#6 ·
ur best bet it to get with tp&w and get a population assesment and some professional help on the status of ur herd. then and only then will u be able to make sound judgments on the amount of animals male/female that need to be harvested from your property. who knows you may be able to allow every hunter to bring a guest to harvest an animal, or it could be with the amount of hunters currently on the property you may be stressed already. you just dont know with out some good help and a good deer count.

#15 · (Edited)
I would be careful of 'family' and 'guest' if left undefined. Family sometimes might translate into parents/children/spouse to some people and to others it might mean ex-brother-in-law/second cuz/( and personal favorite) 'best friends might as well be brothers'.

I would allow direct family (parents, wife, children) at any time and then allow a guest or two after a specific date, usually after the rut in your area so that all the paying hunters had a good crack at the hunting first.

Keep it strick, grow good deer, and let the ones who don't like it take a hike. You'll have plenty standing in line to get the chance to get on a well ran lease.

my 2 cents.. and what he said below

#8 ·
paid guns get to shoot their lic worth of animals, paid guns get first say on the blinds etc. they can let family shoot off their tag quota.

1 trophy, 1 cull, and depending on your horn rule , at least 8 or better and outside the ears

long spikes don't count against anyone's quota

assess the does and old spikes as needed.

#9 ·
Bagman, they always sign. Look at how many folks are looking for leases on here alone. You want that clause to remind them that they are on the lease at YOUR discretion alone, and that you can and will terminate them if that is what it takes to make it fair. Don't have that clause, there are folks that will want to go to court, etc etc. Save YOUR time and money, be upfront, tell them you make the rules, not them. Then, after that, be as fair as you can.

It's a lot like work - the good employees need to see ( they WANT to see ) the bad employees feel the consequence of bad actions/behavior. If they do not see it, they may become bad too. For instance, "he shot an extra animal, why shouldn't I? No one will know." Much of that, and the lease is toast.

10R, sorry to run on, on your thread. I have run a few leases, have two now, one duck and one deer, and had to learn a few things the hard way.

Trust me in this, be hard, but fair, and everyone will be happy. Worried about making them happy? They will make it miserable.....

MM

#12 ·
I hope things work out for you. I would talk to TPWD they are always willing to help and they will give great advice.

As far as having problems with other members in my opion it goes likes this. You are the "owner" of the hunting rights lease and its your but on the line when members mess up or can't pay there dues. The members answer to you, you answer to the land owner.

I was on lease where we could not bring guest, well the members could not bring guest but lease manger could do as he please. He would bring guest and shot deer that were legal in the county but not legal by the mangement rules he had set forth. I guess all i am saying is that everyone must follow the all rules no exception.

Bring me to my next point, do you have any opoeings??? PM if you do with any info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.