2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Protein Feeders

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  spitfire 
#1 ·
We've decided to begin feeding protein at our lease this year and need some suggestions on the best, most economical protein feeders. We plan on buying 4-5 but there are a ton of manufacturers and different styles. Probably going to use some type of gravity feeder between 750-1000 lb. but would like to know if the timed protein feeders such as the Lamco would be better? I've looked at the BigHorns and they look durable and reasonably priced. We're planning on feeding from the beginning of February through at least July.

#2 ·
I have heard that Buck Boss are pretty good. No problems with water getting in, and the price even seems a little better than some of the others. I know a guy just north of Del Rio that distributes them. I don't know too much about them, but just from looking at websites and reading the info, they look pretty good. Pm me if you want his info.

#5 ·
I use gravity bighorn low profile 950. They are easy to fill and allow protein 24/7. Very important. I started feeding now because of the lack of rain. Beware of one thing, if you mix with corn, the ***** will pile the protein on the ground to get the corn. I would start with a mix at first so deer get used to it then stop. It might take some time but once the deer are hooked, they go through 1000 pounds a month. Also, put up hog fence. Hogs will bump the legs.

#6 ·
We use trophy feeders. www.trophyfeeders.com, they are in victoria. Been using them for years with no issues. Absolutely water and varmint proof. You do have to put them in a pen to keep the hogs from messing with them. I don't recommend timed feeders if you are going to be in an area with high humidity or any amount of rain. You can ask Charlie what he thinks of timed feeders. He just got rid of his.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone for all this info. I'm going to look into all of these. I found another website where someone posted a similar question for a 1000 acre place and most of the people told him that 2 protein feeders were good enough. We've also got a little over a 1000 acres and we just guessed 4 or 5 feeders. Will two be good enough?

#10 ·
The typical recommendation is one free choice protein feeder for every 300 or so acres. Alot of this depends on the type of cover and food supply involved in your acreage so....it depends. We have three for 1300 acres in McMullen County. Probably a little light but that is all we are going to run. When you are burning through a ton of protein at each location a month it gets ridiculously expensive. I would also say that if your neighbors are not management minded and are not feeding protein then on such a small place it will likely have little effect. We are fortunate in that we are high fenced on three sides and the neighbors on the other side are management minded and feed protein as do the owners on the other side of them. If you are high fenced entirely then that's a whole different story.

#11 ·
I have a few of the bighorns, no problems at all. I wouldn't go with a timed protein feeder. That's why they call them free choice feeders. The deer should be able to eat whenever they like.

A dominant buck will run off other deer if they all have to eat at a timed feeding. A 1,000lb feeder can get emptied real quick. If you have to drive any distance i would go with 1 ton feeders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.