Ski Barge Boats any experiences???? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Old 10-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Fishinrob is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishinrob is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishinrob is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishinrob is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishinrob is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishinrob is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishinrob is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishinrob is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishinrob is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishinrob is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishinrob is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Ski Barge Boats any experiences????

Just picked up a clean 14ft Ski Barge , side console with a 40 Johnson with tilt & trim. Remote control troll motor. Is this enough boat to Fish Laguna Madre around Pita and King Ranch??? Launching from Laguna Shores Marina.

Anyone have small Ski Barge experience?????

Thanks in advance......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Registered Users-pm+

o_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Riggero_brother has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I'm not familiar with Ski Barge, is it set up for saltwater? If its set up for fresh water then the salt will eat up everything on it.. Anything thats not stainless or coated will rust in no time... As far as fishing around Pita and KRS you should be fine.. Watch the weather and make sure you don't get caught too far from the ramp if the wind picks up...

Mike
Old 10-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Registered Users-pm+

FishinTheBarge has disabled reputation
Not sure of the side console, but my first boat was a 1987 center console 20' fishing edition ski barge . Good first boat. Originally had tower on front and back with 88 Johnson special, used primarily in south Texas. Didnt run fast, a little wet with a decent side sea, but caught unknown amounts of fish and good times along with the wear and tear of an older boat and engine. No storage what so ever, but I can't beat the memories I had on her. Buddy did catch a sail on her about 2 miles off the jetties at south Padre.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Fowlhooked has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Fowlhooked has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Fowlhooked has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Fowlhooked has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Fowlhooked has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Fowlhooked has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Fowlhooked has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Fowlhooked has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Fowlhooked has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Fowlhooked has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Fowlhooked has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
When I was a kid we had a 16ft Fish N Ski Barge. It did just fine for us in West Galveston and the occassional trip to Lake Sommerville.

As with any bay boat of that size, be mindful of the weather and you'll be just fine. Oh yeah, a jackplate would probably come in handy if you're fishing the Laguna. Enjoy!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Shrimpin' Aint Easy

Location: Aransas Pass Tx, A drinking community with a serious fishing problem.
DFoley has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateDFoley has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateDFoley has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateDFoley has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateDFoley has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateDFoley has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateDFoley has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateDFoley has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateDFoley has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateDFoley has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateDFoley has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
Dam, I havent heard the name ski barge in a long time. My old man was a dealer for them in 78-79. Before 78 he worked for a dealer that had sold them also. He always told me that the hulls were ahead of their time, because of the little step on the bottom of the boat.

To this day I can think of 3 that we sold that are still out there being run by the original owners. We repowered 2 of them later on. My older brother fixed one up when he was 16 and ran it in redfish bay for bout 2 years. I think he ended up just chunking plywood in the boat and ran it. Kinda one of those "learner" boats for him haha.

Oops kinda being nastalgic, anyways just check for rot in the floor, transom, etc. The good thing bout those boats that I remember is that they are pretty easy to replace wood in. You could have that thing lookin like new for almost nothing.

Take care.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 PM
POC chunker

Pocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
I had two of them before I found Boston Whalers. Pretty simple and straight forward design. Very wet riding in a quartering chop. Main problem you will find is soft floors around the console because the screws that mount the console were not sealed good. They were a first generation bay boat whose design led to Redfins, BayHawks, Cajuns and slew of others. The rail is structural and adds to the hull's rigidity. If it is missing pieces, you'll get hull flex in that area and possible eventual cracking. You can't run a motor mounted real high because of pretty prominant keel structure that will interfere with waterflow if the motor is too high. All that said, I would not hesitate to buy one if the rail was intact, the transom good, and most of the floor solid. It's pretty easy to replace the floor either around the console, or all together.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered Users-pm+

bb1234 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiebb1234 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiebb1234 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiebb1234 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiebb1234 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiebb1234 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiebb1234 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiebb1234 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiebb1234 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiebb1234 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiebb1234 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Had an 86' 20ft. with a 115 johnson. As mentioned before ah memories. She always got me back to the dock, but kinda rough and wet, not self bailing or a tunnel, but what a barge!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Registered Users-pm+

SPECKulation has been promoted to PirateSPECKulation has been promoted to PirateSPECKulation has been promoted to PirateSPECKulation has been promoted to PirateSPECKulation has been promoted to PirateSPECKulation has been promoted to PirateSPECKulation has been promoted to PirateSPECKulation has been promoted to PirateSPECKulation has been promoted to PirateSPECKulation has been promoted to PirateSPECKulation has been promoted to Pirate
My first bay boat was a late-70's 19' Ski Barge. It was a dog when I bought it. Rotten floor, ugly. I replaced the floor, re-set the console and added a front casting deck. It was a great boat. Fished POC and Rockport for several years. I finally sold it when the transom was getting bad. But I sold the boat and trailer w/out a motor for the same amount I had paid for the boat, trailer and motor several years earlier.

I also have a buddy who ran a 16' barge for many years around POC. Great little boats.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Registered Users-pm+

jbrightwell is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Kenner Ski Barge

Would anyone be interested in a Ski Barge 16' with a 70 hp Johnson? I bought this boat from the original owner 3 years ago, and have only used it twice. Once before fixing it up and once after. The boat is a 68 and the motor is a 74. Please let me know if interested and I can send some pics.
jbrightell@q.com
Old 11-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Newbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to Pirate
get a swim mask and snorkel if you plan on running in chop....