when should i plant oats - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board

Notices

Old 06-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
pilar
El jefe

pilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Pirate
Clover when should i plant oats

my rancher wants to plant oat ans rhy grass now i say wait till oct? i think hog will just eat up the seed? any input ? thanks
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
beaver
Registered Users-pm+

beaver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)beaver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)beaver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)beaver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)beaver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)beaver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)beaver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)beaver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)beaver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)beaver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)beaver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
your rancher must be unfamiliar with oats and ryegrass...they are cool season crops and they will not grow in the heat of summer....I'd plant in mid-september, october may be a little late to get a good stand in time for deer season.

beaver
beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
farmdude
GOT WHEELS NOW

farmdude has been promoted to Piratefarmdude has been promoted to Piratefarmdude has been promoted to Piratefarmdude has been promoted to Piratefarmdude has been promoted to Piratefarmdude has been promoted to Piratefarmdude has been promoted to Piratefarmdude has been promoted to Piratefarmdude has been promoted to Piratefarmdude has been promoted to Piratefarmdude has been promoted to Pirate
right before a rain in the spring.... spring to me for your weather is winter lol
farmdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
activescrape
senor member

activescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirateactivescrape has been promoted to Pirate
In north Tx. we plant in mid Sept.
activescrape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
redlegg
TopWater Tango

redlegg has been promote to Gunnerredlegg has been promote to Gunnerredlegg has been promote to Gunnerredlegg has been promote to Gunnerredlegg has been promote to Gunnerredlegg has been promote to Gunnerredlegg has been promote to Gunnerredlegg has been promote to Gunnerredlegg has been promote to Gunnerredlegg has been promote to Gunnerredlegg has been promote to Gunner
Oat's in September, and Rye grass in October. Or plant them together in late September or early October. 100 #'s of oats per acre and 30#'s of Rye grass per acre. You can cut those #'s back some if planted together.

Cover oats about 3/4 - 1 inch deep and the rye needs to be lightly covered or broadcast on the plowed ground/short standing forage.

Jed
redlegg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Slightly Dangerous
Democrat was not always a curse word!

Slightly Dangerous has been promoted to PirateSlightly Dangerous has been promoted to PirateSlightly Dangerous has been promoted to PirateSlightly Dangerous has been promoted to PirateSlightly Dangerous has been promoted to PirateSlightly Dangerous has been promoted to PirateSlightly Dangerous has been promoted to PirateSlightly Dangerous has been promoted to PirateSlightly Dangerous has been promoted to PirateSlightly Dangerous has been promoted to PirateSlightly Dangerous has been promoted to Pirate
Just to clarify a bit...

The rancher did not say to plant oats or rye grass right now. The rancher said to pick a section where he wants to plant oats or rye grass and fence it off so the cattle do not get into it. Don't ask me how I know that. :-)

Cheers
Slightly Dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
kweber
Registered Users-pm+

kweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Pirate
every ruminent I've ever seen will pezz on rye to get to a good stand of oats.. early Sept with moisture is optimum planting time.
kweber is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
swtmike
Registered Users-pm+

swtmike has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieswtmike has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieswtmike has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieswtmike has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieswtmike has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieswtmike has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieswtmike has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieswtmike has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieswtmike has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieswtmike has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieswtmike has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Right on Weber, rye is good for cattle as a winter grass, deer will much prefer oats. Is he planning on opening the section after hunting for his cattle? If not, I probably wouldn't mess with the rye grass, and plant Mid to late September. Some people wait for October hoping to get a few fronts in on top of it, instead of planting early and getting the early september rains then it drying up before the, if any, October rains.
swtmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
ETXHNTR
TAKE A KID HUNTIN AND FISHIN

ETXHNTR is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)ETXHNTR is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)ETXHNTR is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)ETXHNTR is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)ETXHNTR is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)ETXHNTR is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)ETXHNTR is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)ETXHNTR is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)ETXHNTR is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)ETXHNTR is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)ETXHNTR is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I agree with everyone on the time of year.Anytime in September works.I always plant 100 lbs of oats to 50 lbs of fertilizer(131313),I also always plant FEED oats instead of SEED oats.If i remember correctly there is only a 15% germination difference.FEED oats are way cheaper(atleast they were before the inflated prices) and come up just as good IMO.A light drag over the top of the seed will cover them enough so the birds dont get all of em'.Throw a few turnip seeds out at a rate of about 2 lbs per acre,the deer will tear em' up late in the season after the first good freeze (iN E.Texas atleast a cold spell LOL).This is how weve done it for years in East Texas(Polk County)

Last edited by ETXHNTR; 07-03-2008 at 01:12 PM.
ETXHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #10
great white fisherman
Registered Users-pm+

great white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirate
Forget about the rye grass at all. It is kind of bitter to deer and they will pass on it. FEED oats is the way to go as all the group above are telling you like it is. You want to watch the weather real close starting in September. When a cool front or rain chance is high, plant right then and hope for the rain. If you where going to plant something other than oats i would do wheat before rye. Our rancher will give us all the wheat that we want. I just prefer oats on my food plots just to be different. Only two months, getting closer. With the cost of corn approaching $10.00 or more by hiunting season i think more and more people will be doing food plots. May a 10 point meet in your cross hair!
great white fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message