Difference between a pompano and jack crevalle? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
spitfire
Registered Users-pm+

spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Help Difference between a pompano and jack crevalle?

Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between a pompano and jack crevalle? Cause I would hate to throw back a pompano, as I've heard they are quite tasty, thinking it was a crevalle!!!!
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Dipsay
Registered Users-pm+

Dipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to Pirate
Pompano are more silver in color. The Jack has more of a yellow/bronze tinge. Not to mention the Jack will get alot bigger around here than the pompano. Also Pompano tend to have more of a rounded head than the Jack. The biggest I've seen around here was last year in the surf. My buddy(Pescadocompadre) hooked up with one around 20 to 24" He thought he had hooked a freight train. LOL
Dipsay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Oyster Dog
Just for the halibut

Oyster Dog has been promoted to PirateOyster Dog has been promoted to PirateOyster Dog has been promoted to PirateOyster Dog has been promoted to PirateOyster Dog has been promoted to PirateOyster Dog has been promoted to PirateOyster Dog has been promoted to PirateOyster Dog has been promoted to PirateOyster Dog has been promoted to PirateOyster Dog has been promoted to PirateOyster Dog has been promoted to Pirate
Try these links from TPWD:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...ecies/pompano/

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...pecies/crjack/

A jack has a prominent black spot just above and forward of its pectoral. A pompano does not have a black spot.
Oyster Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
luna nueva
This space for rent

luna nueva has been promoted to Pirateluna nueva has been promoted to Pirateluna nueva has been promoted to Pirateluna nueva has been promoted to Pirateluna nueva has been promoted to Pirateluna nueva has been promoted to Pirateluna nueva has been promoted to Pirateluna nueva has been promoted to Pirateluna nueva has been promoted to Pirateluna nueva has been promoted to Pirateluna nueva has been promoted to Pirate
pomps are delicious. jacks are supposed to be terrible.
luna nueva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
spitfire
Registered Users-pm+

spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)spitfire has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Thumbs up I heard that!!!!

that's what I hear!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luna nueva
pomps are delicious. jacks are supposed to be terrible.
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2008, 02:55 AM   #6
DMC
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker

DMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to Pirate
Never caught a pompano, but unless they fight like a jack, you will know the difference because your reel will be spooled if it's a big jack.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2008, 03:14 AM   #7
fishingcacher
Registered Users-pm+

fishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Pirate
I was wondering the same thing. Here is a picture of a jack my friend caught.
It was caught with a live mullet on 16 lb test line.
Attached Images

fishingcacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
Top Kat
Banned

Top Kat has been promote to GunnerTop Kat has been promote to GunnerTop Kat has been promote to GunnerTop Kat has been promote to GunnerTop Kat has been promote to GunnerTop Kat has been promote to GunnerTop Kat has been promote to GunnerTop Kat has been promote to GunnerTop Kat has been promote to GunnerTop Kat has been promote to GunnerTop Kat has been promote to Gunner
there is a huge difference between the two, if you have ever caught a jack you will know the difference. Pomps have no yellow on them and are very tasty. jacks fun to catch but thats all i have to say about that..
Top Kat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
Instigator
Duck removal service

Instigator has been promoted to PirateInstigator has been promoted to PirateInstigator has been promoted to PirateInstigator has been promoted to PirateInstigator has been promoted to PirateInstigator has been promoted to PirateInstigator has been promoted to PirateInstigator has been promoted to PirateInstigator has been promoted to PirateInstigator has been promoted to PirateInstigator has been promoted to Pirate
The easieast way is to check the base of the tail in front of the tail fin. If there are sharp bony plates on the sides of the tail you've got yourself a jack. Smooth sides on the tail like a trout or red and it's a pompano. As for the color thing, it depends on the water they come out of and it is not dependable. One of my articles in Gulf Coast Fisherman (The Bay Naturalist, spring 2006 I think) a couple of years ago included photos of a pompano, permit and a jack crevalle all caught on the same trip down in South Bay at SPI. That pompano was golden yellow especially around the throat, but yeah in murkier water they will be mostly silver.

And, small jacks are not bad at all if you grill them. If you like spanish mackerel you would be pretty happy with a 2 pound or so jack over the coals. The bigger they get, they fishier and even I won't mess with one more than about 5 pounds. They're no pompano, that's for sure but they don't deserve the food rep of a hardhead either.
Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
ANYBDYHERE
Wishin I was Fishin

ANYBDYHERE has been promoted to PirateANYBDYHERE has been promoted to PirateANYBDYHERE has been promoted to PirateANYBDYHERE has been promoted to PirateANYBDYHERE has been promoted to PirateANYBDYHERE has been promoted to PirateANYBDYHERE has been promoted to PirateANYBDYHERE has been promoted to PirateANYBDYHERE has been promoted to PirateANYBDYHERE has been promoted to PirateANYBDYHERE has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Kat
there is a huge difference between the two, if you have ever caught a jack you will know the difference. Pomps have no yellow on them and are very tasty. jacks fun to catch but thats all i have to say about that..
Pomps DO have yellow on them....
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...ecies/pompano/
ANYBDYHERE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message