How to preserve the fish that you want to mount - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB

Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
badboy
Registered Users-pm+

badboy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)badboy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)badboy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)badboy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)badboy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)badboy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)badboy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)badboy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)badboy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)badboy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)badboy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
How to preserve the fish that you want to mount

Hello all, just have a question on what I should do when the time comes and I catch that dream fish that will go on my wall. I have never had a trout mounted before, the reason is I have never caught one that I wanted to mount. I've seen plenty on here and I want your advise on what I need to do when that day come to keep my fish fresh as you would say to get it to a fish taxidermy. Thanks in advance.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
CoastalOutfitters
sea monkey rancher

CoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to Pirate
get accurate measurments and several clear photos

then buy a fiberglass mount
CoastalOutfitters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
mrs puddle shuttle
Registered Users-pm+

mrs puddle shuttle has been promoted to Piratemrs puddle shuttle has been promoted to Piratemrs puddle shuttle has been promoted to Piratemrs puddle shuttle has been promoted to Piratemrs puddle shuttle has been promoted to Piratemrs puddle shuttle has been promoted to Piratemrs puddle shuttle has been promoted to Piratemrs puddle shuttle has been promoted to Piratemrs puddle shuttle has been promoted to Piratemrs puddle shuttle has been promoted to Piratemrs puddle shuttle has been promoted to Pirate
Be gentle with the scales, especially with a trout. Wrap it in a wet towel, bag it, then lay it gently in the freezer. Obviously, if you can take it immediately to the taxidermist then there is no reason to freeze it. Please don't leave it on ice too long.
Mrs PS
mrs puddle shuttle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
dennis_99
Registered Users-pm+

dennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Pirate
Thats the same advice I've heard as well Mrs. Puddle Shuttle
dennis_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
CM
Registered Users-pm+

CM has disabled reputation
You do not really need to use a wet towel, but if you feel you need to its OK.

Here is what I tell my customers, put the fish in a BLACK trash bag, roll it up to put layers of plastic around the fish. FREEZE IT. The layers of plastic will not let it freezer burn.

Now, most taxidermist that have been in business for a long time (at 30 years) will usually recommend a reproduction of the fish. Either way, use a plastic bag and you can't go wrong.
CM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
TexasFlats
Custom User Title

TexasFlats has been promoted to PirateTexasFlats has been promoted to PirateTexasFlats has been promoted to PirateTexasFlats has been promoted to PirateTexasFlats has been promoted to PirateTexasFlats has been promoted to PirateTexasFlats has been promoted to PirateTexasFlats has been promoted to PirateTexasFlats has been promoted to PirateTexasFlats has been promoted to PirateTexasFlats has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalOutfitters
get accurate measurments and several clear photos

then buy a fiberglass mount

I agree. Photos are much easier to deal with than a dead fish. Plus, you can release the fish if all you need is a photo.

CM - a little expert advice please - skin mounts will go bad after a while, won't they? Newer techniques are surely better, but all of the old skin mounts I have ever seen don't look that good anymore.

TF
TexasFlats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
salth2o
<***********>< Fish on.

salth2o has been promoted to Piratesalth2o has been promoted to Piratesalth2o has been promoted to Piratesalth2o has been promoted to Piratesalth2o has been promoted to Piratesalth2o has been promoted to Piratesalth2o has been promoted to Piratesalth2o has been promoted to Piratesalth2o has been promoted to Piratesalth2o has been promoted to Piratesalth2o has been promoted to Pirate
IMHO, there is no comparison between a skin mount and a fiberglass replica. If I wanted a fiberglass replica, I would go ahead and get it then wait to catch the fish. I am all for catch and release, but if/when I catch what I consider a trophy trout (something over 8#)...a skin mount is going on the wall.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
dennis_99
Registered Users-pm+

dennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Piratedennis_99 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by salth2o
IMHO, there is no comparison between a skin mount and a fiberglass replica. If I wanted a fiberglass replica, I would go ahead and get it then wait to catch the fish. I am all for catch and release, but if/when I catch what I consider a trophy trout (something over 8#)...a skin mount is going on the wall.
I agree....
dennis_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
CM
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlats
I agree. Photos are much easier to deal with than a dead fish. Plus, you can release the fish if all you need is a photo.

CM - a little expert advice please - skin mounts will go bad after a while, won't they? Newer techniques are surely better, but all of the old skin mounts I have ever seen don't look that good anymore.

TF
If you take care of your skin mount, it should last for many, many years to come. One of the keys to caring for skin mounts is to keep them from direct sun light. Remember your dealing with a skin thats brittle. Also remember that all reproductions are not all that good. Tell the taxidermist to show you their reproductions. Some have closed gills, skinny bellies, and are just not that good.

Most of the problem with some of the old skin mounts are they are not the best mounted, and they also had a problem with running the airbrush. Most trout mounts look grey.

Here is a skin mount of a 37" speckled trout that was mounted back in 1938, Ronnie luster brought it to me to repaint and repair fins. It was his dads and it meant a lot to him no matter how the mount looked. It came out pretty good.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
CM
Registered Users-pm+

here is a photo of a reproduction trout. Big difference.