2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Sniper Bullet Question

4K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  mickey839 
#1 ·
A question for some of you ex snipers out there.

Knowing that the most popular sniper rounds for the last 100 years have been the 30-06, then the 308, then the 300 winmag, and recently the 50 cal- my question is: for the 308 what bullet do they use- in either the 308 or 30-06?? I know the the perrenial accuracy favorite has always been the Sierra 168 gr match bullet, but that is not the best "killing" bullet.

So do the snipers use that type of bullet because of the accuracy, and say even that bullet will kill sufficiently with the shots that they take, or do they opt for a better killing bullet that still has good accuracy, like a ballistic tip?

THE JAMMER

#3 ·
The US Marines typically use a 16.5 lb. M-40A3 in 7.62 Nato (308 Win) Typically they use 175 grain Serria Match King round loaded for 2850 fps. Confirmed kills at 950 meters but Marine Snipers limit range to ~800 meters for reliable hits. They use 0.50BMG Barrett M82A-1 s for kills out past 1000 meters but these big 32.5# guns are typically used to defend roads from fixed firing positions near fire bases or to stop suicide vehicles.

#4 ·
Not a sniper

I am not an ex-sniper, unless you count E-Bay. The Geneva convention outlawed quick expanding bullets, so all military rounds used by our troups are FMJs, built to military specs. The .308 is still the most widely used sniper round, the .50 is too heavy and hard to conceal for field sniper use. The .50 and the newer .416 Barret are used extensively in the Middle East because they can set up on rooftops and not have to move. Do not know about the grain usually used, but I would guess it would be on the heavier end of the scale for the caliber used, less wind drift and better down-range energy.
This advise and $4 will get you coffee at Starbucks.
BB

#5 ·
I can speak for police snipers...the 168 gr. Sierra Match King, specifically the Federal Gold Medal Match, has been the standard for several years because of its accuracy. However, its tends not to hold up so well when shooting through light barriers, especially glass (which is a legitimate LEO scenario). Recently we've switched, and there's starting to be a trend with other agencies, to the 168 gr. Hornady A-Max bullet. Its match ammo with a ballistic tip, and we've been able to get the same accuracy when compared to the Federal Gold Medal Match. Plus, in tests we've conducted, its held up better when going through glass. Bonded rounds are better for barriers, but then you get the over penetration associated with that...unfortuneately, there's yet to be "the perfect bullet".

#6 ·
This M 118LR round is what the USA Snipers use in Iraq. Bullet has a hollow tip but is not a expanding bullet and is judged "legal" by USA DoD policy.
7.62MM Sniping Ammunition

7.62MM M118 LR : 175 GR BTHP MV=2600 FPS; ME= 2627 FT LBS
20 rds/ box ; 500 rds/ case - Price On Request
American Ballistics' 7.62MM M118 LR cartridge utilizing our special 175gr BTHP bullet, has extremely
uniform muzzle velocity with excellent standard deviation and ballistic coefficient ( .490 BC ).
This cartridge is designed specifically to ensure and obtain unsurpassed shooting accuracy
and performance at distances of 1000 yds and beyond.

#11 ·
Didnt they used to make a 168 gr. match bullet for the military that snipers used. It was ball and used in matches back in the 60's and 70's ? Why does everyone worry about drop. They all drop some just a little more than others. Many of 1000 yard matches were won by the 06 and 308..

Charlie

#12 ·
I have witnessed Marines hitting "beer coaster" targets with the M40A2 out to 1000 yards. This was at Hathcock Range on WTB Stone Bay, NC. I don't remember if they were using 168 or 175 gr rounds, but it was match grade ammo. These men are true masters of their profession. A .308 round is deadly a LONG way out.

#13 ·
Some people out of ignorance think you need the biggest and newest magnum to shoot long distances but the truth is you just can't beat those old 30's. Ijust had a conversation with a marine sniper's dad and he said 175 hollow point like said before. But that the Austin swat team that he trained with used the 168. Just personal preference I guess.

#16 ·
30-06 fyi

i have been flirting with different grains of bullets trying to get less recoil with faster speed and keep it flat as possible. wanted to keep accuracy. i ordered several different bullets off the internet from 55gr ( yes 55 ) to 140 gr. the 55 is hard to control at 100yds but very fast ! i settled on a 125gr remington "managed recoil" . very fast , accurate and as the box says managed recoil. not that im intimidated by the 180 gr , i just feel like i shoot much better with the lower grain bullets . thought this may help someone else .

#21 ·
Donk I'll let you in on a little secret. Jack and I have a friend, I believe he shot quail with ya'll last year, whose father shot on the Marine Corp team with the Gunny. He is the one that taught most of us kids how to shoot and handle weapons properly. He is a pretty interesting guy to talk to as well.

#23 ·
That how the Gunny ot started, most won't speak of it (sniping) unless they get around a fellow who's put some down range. Too Tall when are you coming down South, I have been working just down from your place. I have my kabota down that way, shredding quail runs and cleaning up fence lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.