2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Hill Country Whitetail Report

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Haute Pursuit 
#1 ·
There are already suprising # of bucks running does which seems a little early compared to years past. Im not sure what has em chasing so early, probably a combination of the wet/mild spring & summer along with a hotter than usual Sept/Oct followed up by a nice late Oct cool front and low temps in the high 30's - low 40's for the last week and a N wind and full moon for the last week as well. There are lots of dead deer along many of the highways as well.

#2 ·
I sat in my wife's stand Sunday morning in the north end of Mason County. She had four 8 points under her feeder at one time. A doe showed up and one of the smaller 8 points chased her around half of the morning, while the other three 8 points seemed unintrested. Maybe just getting going in our neck of the woods.

James

#8 ·
surfspeck said:
There are already suprising # of bucks running does which seems a little early compared to years past. Im not sure what has em chasing so early, probably a combination of the wet/mild spring & summer along with a hotter than usual Sept/Oct followed up by a nice late Oct cool front and low temps in the high 30's - low 40's for the last week and a N wind and full moon for the last week as well. There are lots of dead deer along many of the highways as well.
i noticed the same thing in Llano and Mason this weekend

#9 ·
Weather has nothing to do with the rut according to every deer biologist, breeder etc.. I have ever talked with. Deer go into rut / heat based on the number of hours of daylight they are getting. I beleive it is once there is approx 10 hours of daylight each day that triggers them to go into heat?

Companies that collect doe urine keep does in confined barn areas and control the lighting to trigger it.

The reason you are seeing "more, early" rut activity is that it is cooler and the deer are moving around a little more. From my experience I have seen over the 35 years I have been hunting that the hill country rut is before thanksgiving, a large part of south texas is around christmas and deep south texas (laredo / encinal) between christmas and new years.

This is my .02 cents worth of opinion! I think if you research it on the internet and look around you will find this to be true.

No matter what, HUNTING SEASON IS FINALLY HERE! Lets have some fun!

#12 ·
I just report what I see in the field, not what I read on the internet. I live and play in the middle of the hill country and in past years have seen does getting chased from Oct through Feb on any given day. What I report about yesterday doesnt mean its gonna be on for next weekend at all. One thing I do know is that the major rut up here is gonna happen sometime in November and I hope to be out in the field to see it happen.!!
br1006 said:
This is my .02 cents worth of opinion! I think if you research it on the internet and look around you will find this to be true.

No matter what, HUNTING SEASON IS FINALLY HERE! Lets have some fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.