2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Opening weekend Menu?

3K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Hard Head 
#1 ·
A tradition around here is to post up your opening weekend deer camp menu.

Seeing how I'm the chief cook at our place, I get to come up with the menu. So here's how it's to go.

Thursday evening: Hot Dogs and chips (long drive that day)

Friday: Rib Eyes, grilled shrimp, baked taters, onions and mushrooms in wine.

Saturday: Grilled Pork Chops, baked taters or mac and cheese, and pinto beans

Sunday: Hopefully grilled Axis Backstrap wrapped in bacon, baked taters and left ovewr beans.

Here are a few pictures of years past of meals from opening weekend.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well let me see. Friday nite my famous baby back ribs with corn on the cobb cooked in the husk in the oven, bush beans doctored with brown sugar and cilantro with blackberry cobbler topped with Blue bell home made vanilla. Think I have a picture. Saturday night cajun stuffed boneless chicken with fresh green beans, home made bread, and peach cobbler with blue bell.

Charlie

Attachments

#6 ·
Sounds like a Jab at Handicaps to me! Hey StateVet, can't we file a claim with the State against TH or just deal with him ourselves? lol Between our two nubs, I think we could work him over!

Trouthunter said:
Heck Don, I could cook all that with just one hand. :D

Looks good...but I don't see Mama Chole's on the menu. ;)

TH

#7 ·
Hard Head said:
Sounds like a Jab at Handicaps to me! Hey StateVet, can't we file a claim with the State against TH or just deal with him ourselves? lol Between our two nubs, I think we could work him over!
Considering what I witnessed you do to Doug at the show, Don....ol' TH don't stand a chance. Lol!

What'd y'all do with that Old Crow? Use it to start the fire? :D

BTW, we loaded up on Prasek's marinated ribeyes, dove poppers, Bobby Layne's salt steak, green bean casserole, gumbo and garlic bread, wild boar tacos, and who knows what else. Fed the salad to the rabbits.

#9 ·
Ours varies a little bit from year to year but here is this years plan.

Thursday night: Grilled ribeyes, baked potatoes, Ranch Style beans (makes for an interesting sleeping situation) and salad with your choice of dressing (mine is chunky blue cheese)

Friday night: Some of last years venison in various forms like link sausage on the grill, other cuts of venison pounded out and chicken fried and ground deer meat for burgers. Served with assorted sides.

Saturday night: Hog backstrap that has been cooking slowly on the smoker since our arrival Wednesday evening with assorted sides.

Sunday night: Speckled trout, redfish, flounder, jumbo shrimp and red snapper. Fish caught by us, shrimp purchased locally here in Seabrook at Rose's.

On a funny note (at least it's funny now - it wasn't when I was experiencing the moment) one year we had lobster flown in from a friend of my dads in Maine. I love fresh lobster dipped in drawn butter, however, I do not recommend this idea. I was up all night with...................well, how can I put this? Um, yeah, I think you get the picture! I was locked WIDE OPEN! It was not a good night for me and opening morning was interesting to say the least!

#10 ·
Hard Head said:
We can file a claim, no problem (since I work for the State;) ) or we can just do it ourselves show him what the old saying means....."You ain't been loved, till you been nubbed":cheers:

#15 ·
That is one of the many things I miss about deercamp....we ate like KINGS!!!! Me and my dad would wake up early and cook a full breakfast and then wake up everyone....pancakes, sausage, bacon, fresh bisquits, sausage gravy and OJ and milk and the like...and then when we came in from the morning hunt, whip up something great again! (can't be hungry at deer camp.....EVER!!) LOL

#18 ·
Thursday - 1" thick Ribeye like last year. Instead of shrimp scampi we will hit the cajun seasoned taters and texas toast.

Friday - fried specs and shrimp - huge batch to eat on for lunch and dinner.

Saturday - BBQ at the Doss Country Store.....along with the hanka banka music and cold ones.

Crow with an "N" is what we mix......in the belly with Shiner and BL.

Few from last year......can smell them now!

GCB

Attachments

#20 ·
General CoolBro said:
Thursday - 1" thick Ribeye like last year. Instead of shrimp scampi we will hit the cajun seasoned taters and texas toast.

Friday - fried specs and shrimp - huge batch to eat on for lunch and dinner.

Saturday - BBQ at the Doss Country Store.....along with the hanka banka music and cold ones.

Crow with an "N" is what we mix......in the belly with Shiner and BL.

Few from last year......can smell them now!

GCB
Heck, I think I can almost smell them too!!!

#21 ·
And for any of you that hunt the Real County area that enjoys good Mexican food, stop into Mama Chole's in Leakey and order the Mama Chole's plate! OMG, it fills Trouthunter up! I'll be there Friday at opening time (11:00). The place gets packed by 11:30.

#22 ·
Hard Head said:
And for any of you that hunt the Real County area that enjoys good Mexican food, stop into Mama Chole's in Leakey and order the Mama Chole's plate! OMG, it fills Trouthunter up! I'll be there Friday at opening time (11:00). The place gets packed by 11:30.
I'll second that, great food! As far as filling Trouthunter up, I can't vouch for that:tongue: nor would I want to be around him four or five hour after he has been filled up with mexican food:cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.