2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Deer Corn Bags

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Bucksnort 
#1 ·
I went to Toledo Bend lake for the weekend and traveling to the lake, the closer I got, the more upsetting I felt for Hunters. I am a hunter but know many aren't and would like hunting to go away and this is just a thorn that make us hunters look bad. In about a 10 mile area on the highway, I counted at least 30 empty bags of deer corn laying on side of the highway. I use deer corn but strap the empty corn bags down securely and bring mine home to dispose of, or burn in the camp fire but just cannot believe that many empty bags are laying on side of the highway. It must be many hunters that are not disposing of the bags properly and need to think about the messes they are making while these bags are flying around in back of a pickup truck and eventually flying out on highway. Hunters don't need any more bad raps but those that help dirty up our forests with these messes, need to think about what they are doing before they make these messes.

See less See more
#3 ·
That's one reason the people in Colorado don't have very much use for people from Texas. Just look at our bays and the national forest. It's trashed. I was taught at an early age to leave a place nicer than you found it. I will say this, me and the wife camped at a state park in Louisiana.....we in Texas have them beat all to h,,,. Our parks are kept a lot nicer. Getting back on track I agree that we as hunters and fisherman owe it to our great state to keep or trash where it belongs.

#4 ·
trash-the crying Indian

The corn bags only allow for some identification of the litterer. In general, some of us have gotten very lax about littering. As such we have taught our children to be unconscious litterers. I see people dumping their car ash trays on the road, casually discarding paper and plastic wrappers, leaving unsecured trash in the bed of a truck thus allowing it to blow out, casually rolling down the car window and tossing a can or bottle out, a food bag from McDonald's or beer can left in the road, etc. and apparently think nothing of it. Some of us were taught and do otherwise. We go to the country to try to avoid the hustle and bustle/traffic and trash in the city, and now we are seeing more and more littering in our supposedly pristine and unspoiled areas. When will we learn, when will we ever learn!

#5 ·
Probably the same slobs that blast holes in road signs and gates.

The other day I went to a place I used to go long ago when wade fishing. Hadn't been there in several years.
I was stunned by the amount of garbage laying about. Beer bottles, food wrappers, DIRTY DIAPERS!
Some people ought to be horse whipped.

#6 ·
This is another prime example of the few bad apples making the rest of us look really bad. I really believe that for the most part hunters take care of the land and really care about nature as is evident from all the fine folks on this board. However there are those out there that call themselves hunters that could give a hoot about any of that, and yes it is the same ones shooting the signs and anything else they want to shoot. I know in years past we have stopped and picked up such bags along the road in hopes not too many people had seen them. I really hope the folks that do such things get caught and their just dues given to them.

#9 ·
I was headed into Utopia one day and met a truck heading towards Sabinal. Out of the bed of the truck flew a bunch of empty corn sacks. I stopped and picked them up and stowed them in my toolbox. The truck had an unusual front guard and an advertisement for the company it belonged to on the doors.

The next morning the same truck was parked at the cafe and I walked in (everyone knows me there) and asked who owned the (enter description here) truck parked out in front? A guy at a table with two others said that it was his truck.

I told him that I had something for him outside and he followed me out.

I opened the toolbox, handed him the empty corn sacks and told him that he'd lost these just outside of town. Told him I figured he sure didn't mean for them to wind up on the side of the road here in God's Country.

He said thanks and put them inside the truck.

After breakfast and long after he and his group left when we went to pay our bill, we found it was paid for by the same group.

Sometimes you just have to remind folks or as my Daddy use to say, "Teach them the error of their ways."

And while we're on the subject, how about finding some other place to dump deer carcasses instead of along the side of the roads guys? I mean come on. The last thing we want is that kind of publicity and I really don't need another buzzard coming through the windshield.

TH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.