2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Truly Impressed with this rifle

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mako 
#1 ·
I bought a Winchester in 300 WSM (pretty much on a lark) thinking that I would give it a try but would probably go back to my Remington 25-06 like I have with so many other guns. Took it to the range the other day and left it with the gun man to put a Nikon Monarch on it and today I picked it up and shot it for the first time. I am simply amazed at the accuracy of this thing. It took three rounds to center the scope and after that I put 7 more rounds in the bulls-eye. The recoil was noticable but nowhere near what I expected. This is a sweet shooter. My hat is off to Winchester and Nikon.

The range (American Shooting Center) was full big-time. They even had a hotdog stand setup in the parking lot. You could feel the energy of everyone getting ready for next weekend.

#2 ·
I've got a Win M70 Coyote, in 300WSM. It is a great gun. I have a Zeiss Conquest on mine, and no doubt the gun shoots better than I do! The only kill I've made was on 2 hogs......1 shot. Hopefully I will add a Wapiti or 2 to the list nest week.

So far, i've only tried 2 bullets. Both Winchest Accubond, 150gr and 180gr. It doesn;t like the 150s, scatters them.

What bullet are you shooting?

#5 ·
I have a Win Model 70 in 300 WSM that started life as a Super Shadow. It shot 1" all day long with factory ammo. I ended up puttting a Winchester OEM laminated stock , trigger job, and Limbsaver pad on it and tamed it down quite a bit. I love this caliber.

My go to gun is my Win Model 70 Coyote stainless bbl in 7MM WSM. With a Nikon Monarch on it I can get 3/4" groups with 160 grain bullets.

#8 ·
I have a Custom .300 Fish WSM Mag and it is the best shooting rifle I have ever owned. This gun is basically a .300 WSM Remington 700 Special Edition Camo print and Titanium free floating barrel. I had it Wildcatted out by "Fish" who installed a Jewel trigger, safety relocation and a Leupold III 6-20x Scope. This particular cartridge shoots customed Norma casings and a 150gr. ballistic molly coated slug at about 3650fps. Sighted in dead on at 300... my buddy killed a Red Stag this past april with one a 518yds. But back to the original thread, stock or suuped up, they are a great round and actually have more power and velocity than a .300 Win Mag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.