2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Anybody going Mule Deer Hunting?

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Swampus 
#1 ·
I know whitetail rifle season opens next weekend but in less than 30 days, Desert Mule Deer season will be here. Leaving Thanksgiving Day and heading to Presidio.... Can't Wait!!!

#11 ·
Yes I am headed out for my First Muley Hunt in Alpine the Monday after Thanksgiveing for a 4 day hunt with my Dad and Brother!!!

The day after Thanksgiveing we will pass into Mexico and Hunt opening weekend and from there go strait to Alpine on Sunday!!! I can't wait!! Never done this EVER! any pointers would be cool! All I know is if He is outside his ears and split with some mass and tine it is gonna be GAME ON!!

swampus!

#12 ·
I have hunted all over West Texas and New Mexico, and currently hunt north or Marathon in the glass mountains and, there is nothing like it! It is a great time.

There was a lot of rain out in the Big Country this year, so, things should be really good, and the deer should be fat and happy.

#15 ·
Greenheadless said:
My dad used to guide in the Davis Mountains and he told me to walk ridges and glass like no tomorrow. Even toss a rock or two over the ledges if needed.

Any tips would be great, as in where to start. What do you look for in a ridgeline or a valley? What food to key in on?
Food will depend on the type of country and whether they have had a frost. Do you know the elevation where you will be hunting? Are you hunting along the river?
FYI, there are very few deer in the presidio/lajitas area.

#16 ·
bigfishtx said:
I have hunted all over West Texas and New Mexico, and currently hunt north or Marathon in the glass mountains and, there is nothing like it! It is a great time.

There was a lot of rain out in the Big Country this year, so, things should be really good, and the deer should be fat and happy.
Hunted in the Glass Mountians last year. It was beutiful country.

Went Muley hunting the last 2 years in a row, but I wont be going this year. Hopefully I will get a hunt lined out next year. Its lots of fun!!

#17 ·
I went for the first time in Fort Stockton last year. There are tons of mule deer in that country. We drove up on top of the Mesas and walked the ridges looking down into the draws. Was a lot of fun and everyone got a deer. The amazing thing to me was how well muleys can hide with very little cover and they don't always run when they see you. Kinda reminded me of quail hunting because your jumping them up when you drive or walk. Loads of fun!

#18 ·
I hunt in Langtry so I'm alot closer than many other hunters to mulley country .
I would like to set up a hunt but have yet to make it a priority . I see an ad in the Houston Chronicle "all the time" thus making me alittle gun shy .
I have been burnt before on a couple of leases , so now I try and do my homework on any new place . Can you recomend anything??

Thanks , Bet they are some MONSTERS out there this year !
Keep us posted after the season .

#19 ·
bigfishtx said:
Food will depend on the type of country and whether they have had a frost. Do you know the elevation where you will be hunting? Are you hunting along the river?
FYI, there are very few deer in the presidio/lajitas area.
Will be hunting Big Bend Ranch. Max elevation, 4000 I think. Little more flat areathan the east and north of there if the topomaps are correct. No rivers, just creeks and draws.

#20 ·
I have hunted and studied the deer in West Texas for quite some time now. There are quite a few things that I've learned.
1) Mule deer generally don't mature(sexually) until they are 2.5 yrs.(ie. you will see several groups of 5 deer) It will consist of an old doe, her twins from last year ( complete with a fork horn) and her twins from this year.
2) You can use a varmit call to squeal up does sounding like a fawn in distress
3) The deer will lay down and let you walk within 6 ft if they think they are hidden.
4) I don't even start hunting until the sun comes up - for some reason you just don't see these deer real early.
5) Look for deer laying in the most inane places ( ie. out in the sorriest looking country there is - not in the big, pretty country)
Remember they are a completely different deer than a Whitetail.
Any where east of the Davis Moutains there are Whitetails and they do cross with the Mulies.So be careful that you shoot a Muley. Many guys shoot what they think is a Mule Deer to look at the tarsal glands and be told by the biologist and/or game warden that they have to use a Whitetail tag.
Most of all, have fun and enjoy that magical country called the Trans Pecos!!

#22 ·
These are pics from 2006 in Fort Stockton. Can't wait until Saturday morning at daybreak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.