2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

I sneeked out mid week

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Bret 
#1 ·
Due to some employee issues.. I had the opportunity to take off Thursday and be at work by 1pm on Friday. So wed afternoon, I headed home and gathered up all of my hunting gear, put some water and Gatorade in the cooler and lit out for the happy hunting grounds. My hunting buddy, Bob was already out there and was in the stand by the time I arrived(5.30). I quickly got out, set up my solar shower and did a quick wash in no-stink soap, got my camo on and headed to my popup. I had clear blue skies and 68degrees with a cool 8-15kt breeze out of the west-northwest. My pop up is set up under an oak, overlooking a wheat field and the mesquite flat that borders the field. I was hoping the wind would lay and it finally did just before dark. I saw several deer about 40yrds away but they never got near. Back at camp I decided to move my tripod over on that trail. After dinner, we did just that and found a clump of big oaks that makes a perfect setup for the tripod.

At 5:15 I was in my tripod, the moon was nearly full and was setting. I saw a few meteors. What a beautiful morning. It was about 40 degrees with a slight breeze. Of course, I forgot to bring my long underwear. So all I had was jeans, longsleeve t-shirt and my scent-lock outfit. About 705 I see some movement to my left. The nice 10 point about 50 yds and closing. He was checking his scrape line.. but he was angling away from me.. I did a quick mouth grunt. He grunted back and came to me on a string. There he was at 10 yards and me at ½ draw and he sees me…. DAGNABIT!!! I got busted.. he bolted and ran off about 40 yards and ambled off never to be seen again.. I was so bummed…I sat there about 20 more minutes and then the adrenaline began to wear off. I realized that I was cold.. I started shivering and decided that was it. Headed back to camp for some warmth and coffee.

Bob had to go to work so he didn't hunt. I got some work done around camp, mowed the roads, trimmed lanes etc.. Cleaned up and headed back to the tripod around 5pm. I decided to put some tinks 69 out in a couple of spots… Got into my stand and within 10 minutes I had 3 bucks within 25yrds. One 3or 4yr old spike, 2- 1 ½ yr olds a 6 and an 8. Then comes another young high horned 8. He was bumping this doe around. There were so many bucks I couldn't keep track of who was who. Then 3 more does come by, Finally that old horse headed Biaaaaatch that always busts me was right under my stand, surveying the goings on of the younger bucks.. I got ready to draw and she jumped the fence and cruised out of range to avoid the bucks.. I didn't see any more does that night. Right about dark a 4yo 6 comes in and puts all of the young bucks in their places.. I had plenty of opportunity to get a shot off but passed…. I was looking for big boy and he didn't show. I hunted Friday morning and had one deer pass by before first light. I loaded up and was at work by noon.

In retrospect, I probably should have taken that big 6. But man I had one of my best bowhunting adventures to date, and didn't bring any meat home. Cant wait to get out there and do it again…

See less See more
#3 ·
Bret said:
Due to some employee issues.. I had the opportunity to take off Thursday and be at work by 1pm on Friday. So wed afternoon, I headed home and gathered up all of my hunting gear, put some water and Gatorade in the cooler and lit out for the happy hunting grounds. My hunting buddy, Bob was already out there and was in the stand by the time I arrived(5.30). I quickly got out, set up my solar shower and did a quick wash in no-stink soap, got my camo on and headed to my popup. I had clear blue skies and 68degrees with a cool 8-15kt breeze out of the west-northwest. My pop up is set up under an oak, overlooking a wheat field and the mesquite flat that borders the field. I was hoping the wind would lay and it finally did just before dark. I saw several deer about 40yrds away but they never got near. Back at camp I decided to move my tripod over on that trail. After dinner, we did just that and found a clump of big oaks that makes a perfect setup for the tripod.

At 5:15 I was in my tripod, the moon was nearly full and was setting. I saw a few meteors. What a beautiful morning. It was about 40 degrees with a slight breeze. Of course, I forgot to bring my long underwear. So all I had was jeans, longsleeve t-shirt and my scent-lock outfit. About 705 I see some movement to my left. The nice 10 point about 50 yds and closing. He was checking his scrape line.. but he was angling away from me.. I did a quick mouth grunt. He grunted back and came to me on a string. There he was at 10 yards and me at ½ draw and he sees me…. DAGNABIT!!! I got busted.. he bolted and ran off about 40 yards and ambled off never to be seen again.. I was so bummed…I sat there about 20 more minutes and then the adrenaline began to wear off. I realized that I was cold.. I started shivering and decided that was it. Headed back to camp for some warmth and coffee.

Bob had to go to work so he didn't hunt. I got some work done around camp, mowed the roads, trimmed lanes etc.. Cleaned up and headed back to the tripod around 5pm. I decided to put some tinks 69 out in a couple of spots… Got into my stand and within 10 minutes I had 3 bucks within 25yrds. One 3or 4yr old spike, 2- 1 ½ yr olds a 6 and an 8. Then comes another young high horned 8. He was bumping this doe around. There were so many bucks I couldn't keep track of who was who. Then 3 more does come by, Finally that old horse headed Biaaaaatch that always busts me was right under my stand, surveying the goings on of the younger bucks.. I got ready to draw and she jumped the fence and cruised out of range to avoid the bucks.. I didn't see any more does that night. Right about dark a 4yo 6 comes in and puts all of the young bucks in their places.. I had plenty of opportunity to get a shot off but passed…. I was looking for big boy and he didn't show. I hunted Friday morning and had one deer pass by before first light. I loaded up and was at work by noon.

In retrospect, I probably should have taken that big 6. But man I had one of my best bowhunting adventures to date, and didn't bring any meat home. Cant wait to get out there and do it again…
Great story, enjoyed it. I take it you are in a one buck county??? Plus I know what you mean about the matriarchal doe. I have one that haunts me. She's red as the river and has taught several generations to steer clear of my spot. I should have killed her when I had the chance but let her go cause she was PRETTY.

#4 ·
I can't belive ya let the toe head get away.LOL
Hope you get some more time off soon.
I got shutdown by the jolly jump and hay rides at the kids b-day party next door. But I did have a black and white cat come in but I couldnt get a age on him.:confused: Theres always another day.

#5 ·
The Duke said:
nice report! I wish everyone would let us know were they hunt. Man I am so ready for opening morning! I will be hunting the pinywoods just north of Jasper
Duke, I'm hunting in SE Archer county.. about 50 miles south of Wichita Falls.

Activescrape--- Yeah, Archer co. is a one buck 2 doe county.. you have to choose your bucks wisely.. It makes it a bit more difficult to cull the inferior deer.
here's a pic of the buck that busted me.......

Attachments

#6 ·
Nice report there Bret, hope you get that buck yet!

I'm really looking forward to this weekend. Just hope the fever doesn't get the best of me, it's been 6 years since I went hunting.

Hopefully 2 trips to the range with my son and 2 boxes of shells each will help, may take him again this week if I can get away from work.

I'd love to see what's on my cameras from last week with the change in temps but chose to not go out this past weekend and leave things be for opening weekend. Will give me 2 weeks of pics to look at in between hunts on opening day :)

So there starting to chase to does around there huh? Hopefully they'll be moving around my place this weekend too.

Earl

#7 ·
Earl, the young bucks were chasing the does around, but The older bucks were more intent on eating the 100lbs of big fat city acorns I put out. I think with the waning moon... and a couple of weeks of cool temps, might get them stirred up. I hope you and your boys get em next weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.