2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Is it ok to take kids out of school for hunting

Taking kids out of school

11K views 113 replies 74 participants last post by  rem260man 
#1 ·
Who takes their kids out of school early on Fridays alot?
My wife always complains about me doing this every deer season
We do it about 10 times a year....is that too much?
I get off @ noon on Fridays and am fixin to get off right now and plan on getting the kid out of school and head to Llano....with or without the arse chewing

#5 ·
as a kid, i will never forget Dad showing up early on a friday and getting me to head to the ranch. It made me feel so special and grown up. Best feeling in the world for a kid. When it is a surprise its even better.

Keep it up, misisng 2 hours of school on a friday afternoon is nothing compared to a weekend outdoors with Dad. Kiddos will learn way more over the weekend than they would in those 2 hours of school...and be way better off too.

#6 ·
Be cautious about driving your truck loaded to the school if they really would like to make a stink and your rifle is in the truck you can be delayed a good while....

Other wise he is your child my opinion does matter so why ask.....

John

#13 ·
DO IT! thats probably one of the best things you can do for your boy. Man, I remember the feeling I would get, when I would see my Grandad pull up to school, instead of my parents. I knew we were going to the ranch! He would have already gotten "clearance" from my Mom, and picked up a change of clothes for me before picking me up. I loved getting out of school early! I sure miss my Grandad. Good luck on your hunt!

#18 ·
Texas has a mandatory 90% attendance rule. Just make sure that they dont miss more than 9 days per semester. In earlier grades as long as they are there untill 10 am then that day counts as present. In High School they count it by class period. Speaking as a teacher I say "Go For It!" as long as it's something like that. I hear from parents all the time that pull kids out because they, the parents, are bored or they just cant make them go to school. What a load of ****! But when your talking about a hunting or fishing or camping trip thats different! Experiences are great teachers!

#21 ·
I have and will take mine out. I do it after 10 am, then they are counted not absent. And being from a small town school, when I'm checking him out, the ladies in the office always ask, "Yall going dove huntin" or "Yall going to set up the deer camp"!!!
And if I can't get there, the wife will do it!!!
But also, my son's grades are always A's and B's, so he deserves it!!!

#22 ·
I was even taken out of school for a week to go to colorado with my parents and grandparents hunting. Just got as many assignments as I could and took it with me.

Took off plenty of Fridays from school when hunting in texas as well. I see no problem with it as long as the kids are good and understand it is a privledge. Have to have their things in order or if they just expect it no matter what, then maybe they will not get to go early.

#25 ·
deebo said:
as a kid, i will never forget Dad showing up early on a friday and getting me to head to the ranch. It made me feel so special and grown up. Best feeling in the world for a kid. When it is a surprise its even better.
I remember Dad picking me up early a few times and you're right, it was a great feeling. One day, Dad showed up at school a couple of weeks before the season started to surprise me with a trip down south to fill the feeders and hang out for the weekend. Unfortunately I skipped out that day. Man, was he surprised to see the note "he" had written about my doctor's appointment. And, apparently the school saved everyone of my "doctor appointment" notes and Dad got to see them all. Needless to say I didn't get to make the trip and Dad was waiting for me when I got home that day with a loaded down truck. He went the next day... by himself.

I felt awful about it, and even worse now that I'm a father and know how disappointed he was. I missed some good memories.

#26 ·
Hey Shoalwater, i gotta say i imagin he was disapointed and I know you were too having to miss out on that weekend.. however, i couldnt help but laughing when i thought about high school and we "borrowed" a pad of slips to leave and filled one out for my buddy. The funny part was we didnt know they had them all color coded and we grabbed the WRONG COLOR!!!! Dang were we busted!

Back to leaving school, I say that as long as hes making good grades take him. If their learning ethics and having family time its almost worth more than sitting in that class anyways. Besides, being a college student, if hes making good grades chances are one day he'll be in college too, and unfortunately the hunting and fishing slows down a LOTTTTT!!! Rather they want it to or not. And my campus is actually on the bay, so that tells me something. Good luck on yall trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.