2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

deer rifle suggestions

3K views 26 replies 25 participants last post by  sandybottom 
#1 ·
I want to surprise my hubby with an early Christmas present. He has an old rifle and would like to get a new one for him. We are going back out to fill the feeder tomorrow and I can't wait to surprise him with a pretty new one. He is going to be so excited.
Wait a minute if I buy it in my name I can still give it to him as a gift right? The gun laws are so complex I want to stay on the good side of it.
So any suggestions around the 400.00 range.
If he doesn't like it I have a new one haha.
Thanks

#4 ·
Marlin 30-30 ($329 @ Academy) and a modest scope ($100-$150) should cover most hunting applications and would make a fine gift. However, IMHO, Trouthunter makes a good point, there are so many different types of rifles that you may want to consider taking him with you and make the purchase together. This will give him an opportunity to see and feel several different types and get the one he is most comfortable with. Good luck.

#7 ·
#9 ·
I would try if possible to spend about a couple hundred more than that and it will open up a world of fine rifles....try to figure out what caliber you hubby likes....a suprise will be a great thing if you can hit what he really wants......A thought might be to get him a gift cert and let him decide.....but.....I will say this ......If my wife bought me a new rifle I would be happy....what ever it was

does he like wood stocks or synthetic?
you say he has a old rifle...just that one?
.270 is a very popular caliber.....if he does not have that caliber...you might try that one
I had the pleasure of shooting for the first time last night a 25.06.....another great caliber
Also try to figure out what manufacturer he likes and try that one in a different caliber than he already has
a rifle to a man is a trophy in it self ....something that he will brag about for years so try to find something that will hit that area....also if you can afford it get him a nice scope and have it installed at the store by a professional....so he can just go and shoot it
A gun to a man are like a fine piece of jewelry to a woman....
Think about it .....your hubby is in the jewelry store and he is looking at a pair of .25 carot diamond earrings.....for a couple hundred more he could get you the .50 carot earrings....what would you want?
Also....you will brag about them and show them off to your friends....he will do the same with the gun
Goodluck with the purchase

BTW....Nikon makes some very good, quality optics for a decent price

#15 ·
Simply don't do it. Guns are personal. Likelihood of buying what he really wants (cal., mgf, style) is remote. Great thought. Don't get me wrong.

But all of the men on this board likely have gifts from wives that reflect great initial motivation, but poor execution because its almost impossible to figure out our desires absent very candid discussions that would necessarily reveal the surprise.

#22 ·
All great suggestions--Your right I think we will go together and pick out one. I'd like to check out that Savage and the Browning just for myself because I'm thinking about getting a deer this year too. I like my Mossberg 835 12g and I have a single shot Topper model 158 Harrington and Richardson 12g.
He's got an old Mossberg 151M that's fun to play with along with a few handguns and 12g Mossberg too.
He served in the Navy and has taken a gun course so he is good to go anything he gets.
I need to take a course because I want to be certified too.
I have my eye on a Bersa Thun9mm handgun.
Thanks for your suggestion guys.
Nikon scope good idea too.

#24 ·
Good for you, what a nice wife, I wish mine did something like this. But, like others have said, let him pick, but make a big deal out of it. Take him out and pick a rifle then take him to dinner for his Bday. I don't know one guy that wouldn't consider that one of thier best Bdays ever. It shows that you want to get him something he really wants, but that you want him him to be as happy as he can with the gift, so he doesn't have to do the "fake smile" orthe "well.... I would have gotten a ....well I thought you would like that one...". Remember most places don't allow gun returns, like Academy. I do have to say that you are on the right track though, he will love it.

"I have my eye on a Bersa Thun9mm handgun."

I would re-think this. I know that some of you have a Bersa and it is OK, but as a whole they are not a reliable gun. Ask any CHL instructor or gunsmith, and I have senn it myself first hand. Sandy, save an extra $100 and get a Taurus auto, or look for one used that would be cheaper. Or a CZ or EAA auto can be had used in the Taurus new range( the 9mm with poly frame model). I know eveyone has an opinion, they are like well you know,lol, but the reason I say stay away from the Bersa is its reliabilty, especially if you are going to use it as a home defense weapon or a carry weapon. I know it off subject, but I just thought I would pass this on to you.

Have a great time gun shopping!

#26 ·
Sandy, Cudos to you for the thought and wanting to do this right. As far a s guns I just got my first Savage and it shoots great. I have a friend with a Tika and am really impressed as well. Calibers for texas anything hunting you can use from 25-06, .270, 30-06, 7mm mag, 300 win mag will make any guy happy.

I have a .257 Roberts .270 and a 7MM STW

Nikon buckmaster or monarch 3x9 or 4.5x14 or 6x18 is a great scope to put on your new rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.