2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Cost of ammunition

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  Lezz Go 
#1 ·
Here's an example a month ago I bought a box of Federal Premium vital shok 300 WSM 165 grain barnes triple shock for $50 and now it sells for $60. When I ask why is the price of ammunition going so high? I couldn't get a straight answer. Is it the war? Is it the price of fuel? Is it the metals used in bullets? What is driving the price so high?

#2 ·
Not just a coincidence that the price is hiking along with the arrival of hunting season. This happens each and every year. Usually only by about $2-$4 bucks. Then after season the price comes down only a dollar or two. A ten dollar hike is a huge increase and I would probably start looking at other retail shops. Possibly online venues such as Sportsmansguide.com or cabellas.com.

All the things you mentioned are driving factors, but wouldn't account for that much of an increase. As far as the issue of the war, cost increases are always felt on firearms in a big way, but ammo usually stays pretty steady. There seems to be enough mom and pop manufacturers to give the big boys in check.

#3 ·
bullet inflation

Might as well blame it on the cost of oil-everyone else does!!!!! Corn going up was blamed on the use of it to make ethanol for an alternate/flex fuel. So some part or all of the materials required to manufacture a bullet and delivering it to a retail outlet can be attributed to the increased price for oil!!!! Therefore, during prehistoric times, when oil was just a black, tar substance that stuck to the bottom of cavemen's feet and trapped and killed dinosaurs that wandered into the water-covered pits of it, bullets were free-or very cheap!!!!

#5 ·
Economics 101: Supply and Demand. My guess is the ammo manufacturers are making so many rounds for the military (to meet their orders) that they are not producing as many of the hunting loads, while at the same time there are probably more people wanting that round. The price of commodities in general is going through the roof and this plays a big role as well. Reloading may be a better option for the time being.

#6 ·
Metals used in ammo are in high demand from India and China.
Middle East conflicts also causing shortages.
Prices reflect this. Been happening for a couple of years now.
Powder and primers are way up too.
Ammo plants are running hard to keep up with military demand.
Civilian ammo is 2nd priority.

#8 ·
Prices

I did not realize the price had gotten so high. Went to the new Bass Pro to pick up some loads for my new 25-06, even the "cheap" shells were $22 a box, the good stuff was $40. I handload for all our rifles, and usually buy 2-4 pounds of powder and a couple of boxes of bullets at a time, so I have not felt the increases. Unfortunately, I am running low on many items. Bad timing on my part. Hopefully things will settle out a bit come summer, I can hold off buying supplies until then.
BB

#10 ·
You aren't kidding. At Academy,:

Winchester Drylok 3" ar $17.87(within a couple cents,lol). I remember they were $11.99 the last time I bought them.

Also those crappy Winchester Xpert shells were $8.99 to $9.99 last year now they are $12 per box! And these shells have powder that doesn't always burn and different sizes of shot in each shell, plus paper wads!! LOL

I can't imagine what my 10ga. shells ill be this year!? I unserstand a $1 o 2, but $3? or even $5 price raise!!?? That is crazy,IMO.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.