2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Amarillo to Montrose, Co-best route

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Pattillo 
#1 ·
Headed out for the third gun elk season in Colorado Tuesday.

I'm debating the best route from Amarillo to Montrose. Do I go through Raton up the interstate and cut off at Walsenberg, or Pueblo west on hwy 50 through Canon City, Salida, Gunnison and into Montrose? Or perhaps north through Chama, west at Pagosa, and north on hwy 550 at Durango?

I'll be towing a 28 ft trailer with a 1970 bronco and polaris ranger. The trailer has electric brakes. Big hills should be ok. I've never made this exact trip so looking for some veteran advice.

#3 ·
I have made that trip from Amarillo several times and I generally take the 2nd route that you mentioned - north through Chama, west at Pagosa, and north on hwy 550 at Durango.

I like both drives actually it just always seemed to work better for me to go this way.

Go luck.

Clyde

#7 ·
If you go the first way cut off at Walsenberg not Pueblo Because that Arkansas River road will slow you down. I always go the way shown by TH. I hunt just south of Blue Mesa between Gunnison and Montrose. If your hungry when you go through Gunnison hit tha Mario's pizza for a lasagna and a wood bowl salad they are awesome.

#9 ·
Roger that davidb, on the red or green. I lived in ABQ for 10 years, and I will not eat tex mex. It's garbage compared to New Mexican mexican food. Green chili all the way, even on a quarter pounder in Santa Fe.

Do you know what "give me Christmas" means at a New Mexican restaurant??

THE "WILL DRIVE OUT OF MY WAY TO GET GREEN CHILI" JAMMER

davidb said:
Depends on if you want Red or Green Chili on the way. If you travel by at the wims of your belly, like I do, you'll want to get green chile in Taos and Red in Chama. The pass at chama will be a little exciting but not bad.

#10 ·
Trouthunter and dlove, the Alamosa, Montevista, Saguache to Gunnison route looks very good as well. Easy roads between Raton and Saguache with the one pass through the Sangre de Christos. I've never been on 114 between Saguache and Gunnison. Any foreseeable problems on that road?

Clint, just be glad I'm not making you fly to Houston first. And if you didn't know it, you get to haul our animals out since you are the youngest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.