2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

444 Marlin

983 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  davidb 
#1 ·
Just a question for you Marlin Buffs out there!

What is your opinion on the 444 Marlin--Is it enough Gun for Bear/Moose and other Large Game ie: Africa?

I have one and have shot it a few times --Dead on--ok groups--I used factory rounds Rem. but would like to see what You have to say on a Hot Stop That Bear NOW for her!?

thanks

swampus

#2 ·
Swampus said:
Just a question for you Marlin Buffs out there!

What is your opinion on the 444 Marlin--Is it enough Gun for Bear/Moose and other Large Game ie: Africa?

I have one and have shot it a few times --Dead on--ok groups--I used factory rounds Rem. but would like to see what You have to say on a Hot Stop That Bear NOW for her!?

thanks

swampus
Don't own a Marlin in a .444. Own a 30/30 a .22 and 45/70.

However, check these guys out on the Marlin Owners websites. All .444 users, and have killed just about everything under the sun.

http://marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=22858

http://marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=15151

#3 ·
One buddy who would over winter in the camp I guided at in Alaska carried the 444 and swore by it. I don't know if he shot any Brown Bear but he would take five Moose a season on a homestead permit with the marlin. And shot a couple of Black Bear that were as big as an average Mt. Griz.

If I was buying I would get a 45/70 but if I had the 444 I would load up with Garret, Corbon, Buffaloe Bore or heavy and hot handloads featuring a 265-350 grain bullet. Then you would be loaded for bear. The standard 240 gr. factory load would be a poor choice as it is designed for deer and actually would be less effective than a 44 mag pistol due to velocity.

If your ever up real close to a Big Bear anything you could shoot with out a swivel mount will seem like a pea shooter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.