2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

25-06 Questions?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  willielancon 
#1 ·
I have a Ruger M77 25-06 and was wondering about putting a heavier barrel on it and a Thumb Hole Stock.

Is this action even worth it?
Can it be done?
What would you say the costs would be? (low, middle, and high)
Who would you recomend to do these things?
How long would it take?

This is my first year to be hunting out of a blind and thought I could do these things and not have to worry about the weight of the gun.

Can't think of a better place to have my questions answered!

#2 ·
Before I would go to all of that-- what do you want to do it?? How is the gun shooting now? What kind of groups are you getting and with what ammo. If you are getting groups of 1 1/2" or better, and all you are doing is hunting, I would just leave it alone. If you are not getting those kinds of groups, then I would first try some other loads, before I would go to all of that other trouble.

Does a thumb hole stock and a bull barrel automatically make a gun more accurate?? Not necessarily. I shoot a little Remington Model 7 with a light weight 20" barrel, and I can shoot 3/4" groups with it all day long with 95 gr ballistic tips. No thumbhole stock, no bull barrel. I believe that there is a load which will match up to almost any gun. You just have to find it.

I just bought a new Springfield 40 s@w XD sub compact. It wouldn't shoot Hornady TAP's or hydra shocks inside 4-5" off the bag at 50'. Whereas my handloaded 155 gr speer gold dot's loaded over 10.5 gr of blue dot, will shoot inside 2". Every barrel has different harmonics.

The 25-06 is a great deer caliber, but it is not an inherently accurate cartridge like a 308 or 7mm 08. So if you are trying to wring some sub MOA groups out, I don't think I would waste my time or money, especially with a Ruger M77. Do that with a Remington 700 or a Winchester model 70. There's a reason that the military, swat teams, seals, etc. have used those guns for decades. They are accurate. I just shot a 1/2" 5 shot group with my Rem PSS this past weekend. Those guns will shoot.

If you do want quality custom work done on it, I would talk to Kerry at match grade arms- it's just west of Carter's on Treaschwig. He makes "guns for the stars." Seriously he does excellent work, and is a very nice guy. Tell him Chip sent you.

Hope this helps,

THE JAMMER

#4 ·
You would be better off buying a sendero or Savage HB, I have been to a lot of money shoots and there are not much Ruger Actions there. Just the BRL and labor may run 800 Bucks. How much did you spend on the scope? How much did you spend on the mount? Stock 300 bucks + A savage tactical with a leupold Mark 4 would be cheaper with the mark 4 mount once you got it done.

#5 ·
I have a heavy barreled ruger 2506, I can drive tacks with it. It has a lot to do with the load your shooting. Find someone in your area that you know that reloads, get some dies and build a custom load for your gun!!!!!!!!! Save some money, good luck Regard Donk

#8 ·
talk to some folks who reload that caliber and try their reloads , they ought to be close, except for headspace..

then, spend your money on a reloading setup, get the rcbs package w a set of 25-06 dies and your good to go, but jammer is dead on , what do you want to do hunt or punch paper?

suspect you can try a few diff brands of ammo and tighten groups considerably.

federal premium
hornandy custom
winchester

#9 ·
Guys,

Thanks for your replies. The story behind the gun is that it was given to me and the barrel has some rust damage and the stock is pretty beat up.

I know the gun will shoot and hit as is, I just was thinking about putting a little money into it and make it a great gun if it is worth it.

In West Texas we did all of our hunting on the ground and the weight of the gun made a big difference when making your way around the hunting grounds. I have since moved to Houston and am now going to be hunting out of a blind and was wanting to put together what some of you refer to as a "tack driver".

That is why I asked, to see if this Ruger that I already own would be a good candidate for alterations. If not I will just use what I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.