2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Out for the season . . .

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  capn 
#1 ·
I found out this morning that I have to have knee surgery sometime in the next few weeks that will take me out of commission through hunting season. I am absolutely sick about it, completely at a loss. Since my dad first took me duck hunting at age four I haven't missed a single season, and have been in the field 30+ days the past few.

All of you guys please be sure to post up plenty of reports and pics so that I can live vicariously through you!

#6 ·
Dadgum MM! That absolutely sucks dirty ditch water! If you remember, last year I tore my gun shoulder out the Wednesday before the opener. Stupidly, I pressed on with the help of GREAT BIG Ibuprofens and GREAT BIG hydrocodones! Looking back it was a pretty stupid thing to do....shoulder still gives me problems.

We'll be sure and hook you up with plenty of pics and tales from the blinds!

Take it easy bud.

#7 ·
I feel your pain.

Last year I blew out the knee in August, two weeks before my archery antelope hunt. Hunt was a bust. Too much water to sit in blinds, and I couldn't keep up enough to stalk them. Cancelled a Colorado mule deer hunt and two out of state whitetail hunts. Broke out the rifle in frustration to kill a decent whitetail in the Hill Country. Had the surgery in December, and knee is doing fine. However, Buddies filled the spots from last year and now I'm on the outside looking in on those same hunts this year.

Hope the surgery goes well and you are back in the hunting saddle soon.

#8 ·
Depending on what you have to have done, you might heal up quicker than you think. I had to have my miniscus cutout earlier this year and was at the deer lease working 2 months later. Good luck and do your therapy exercises. About the only thing I couldn't do was fish offshore after 45-60 days time.

#9 ·
What are you having-- arthroscopic or full knee replacement??

If it's full knee, you're looking at at least a month if not 2. I was quail hunting 2 months after my full knee.

If it's just a scope, see if you can't get a cortisone shot to tide you over until after the season. I did that once and it got me through a caribou hunt.

Either way best of luck. They say the human knee is one of God's biggest mistakes. The other was the avodado seed- made it much too big. LOL

THE "MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU" JAMMER

#10 ·
Thanks for the well wishes guys. What they can tell from the MRI is it's a torn PCL and lateral meniscus. The are going in arthroscopically to fix the meniscus, but will have to make one larger incision.

Since it doesn't appear the PCL is torn all the way through they aren't going to touch it, evidently that particular ligament is in a very hard to reach place and will heal on it's own given time. That is what is knocking out my season, he wants me on crutches w/ zero weight bearing for 6 weeks after surgery and very restriced activity for 4-6 to give the PCL time to heal on it's own.

No bueno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.