2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

!!! Sons First Dove Hunt !!

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  LIONESS-270 
#1 ·
What a weekend. Took my son on his first Dove hunt where he would be pulling the trigger. Borrowed a over/under .410 from my dad for him but did not tell him he was going to be shooting until we got there. Boy was that a mistake, he could not sleep and would not be quiet long enough for everybody else to sleep. Saturday morning the birds were flying pretty good and he was banging away at $ 15.00 a box, but having the time of his life. Then it happened. The worlds unluckiest dove flew across him and he folded it. The excitement he had was undescribable. He almost got to the bird before it hit the ground and asked me about 100 times if he shot it or if I shot it. Sunday Morning I could not hit the ground if I tripped and one snuck up on us. After I blew a shot the boy followed me up and folded another one. 2 birds, on the wing, on his first hunt with a .410. I could not be more proud.

#4 ·
I love to take both my kids to the field with me. My daughter likes to go but not so much the shooting part and that is just fine with me. As long as she is out there and having fun. My boy is a totally different story. I have tried tell his bio dad to take him because he loves it but for some unknown reason he just does not ever take him. My opinion is his loss is my gain. I can't understand a dad not taking his kids if they have an interest and like to do it. Mine took me all the time and we still hunt together to this very day, and they are the most memorable. Blood or not blood they are still the best.
Fresh2Salt said:
Congrats...My son shot his first dove last year and I can still remember exactly how it all unfolded.

#8 ·
activescrape said:
Love to hear stories like this! This is where the meat of teaching a boy to be a man happens, and a bond that can not be broken forms. Plus you get some doves to eal. lol
AMEN Brother !!!! He told his mother that he kinda wishes I was his real dad because I take him hunting and fishing and his "dad" doesn't. That made me well up pretty quick.

#16 ·
ccrocker1313 said:
Hey Dad that's Cool got my boy statred at the age of 8 with a single shot .410 some of the best times watching him shoot..Awesome Job.. It's better hunt with'em then for 'em..
That last statement could not be more true. I know it kept me and Hardbait out of a bunch of things that we could have gotten into.

#21 ·
first dove

I have been taking my grandson dove hunting at my cousins
place in palacious for the past 3 years.This year he is 5.It kills him
that he can't shoot yet.I let him pull the trigger as I hold the gun.12 gauge.
This last time I borrowed my fathers 410 to let him pull the trigger.
He had his aim down pact,but he put his cheek on the stock while he
pulled the trigger,he screamed and held his face.I freaked out.After
I looked at his face and realized he was ok.He told me he did not want
to shoot the 410 no more,but said he wanted to shoot my 12 instead.
THATS MY BOY!!

#23 ·
Finaly Got The Pictures Back

chazmac said:
What a weekend. Took my son on his first Dove hunt where he would be pulling the trigger. Borrowed a over/under .410 from my dad for him but did not tell him he was going to be shooting until we got there. Boy was that a mistake, he could not sleep and would not be quiet long enough for everybody else to sleep. Saturday morning the birds were flying pretty good and he was banging away at $ 15.00 a box, but having the time of his life. Then it happened. The worlds unluckiest dove flew across him and he folded it. The excitement he had was undescribable. He almost got to the bird before it hit the ground and asked me about 100 times if he shot it or if I shot it. Sunday Morning I could not hit the ground if I tripped and one snuck up on us. After I blew a shot the boy followed me up and folded another one. 2 birds, on the wing, on his first hunt with a .410. I could not be more proud.
It took long enough but I finally got the pictures back and this is the very FIRST DOVE my boy ever shot ON THE WING.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.