2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Deer attractants....who uses them?

7K views 56 replies 31 participants last post by  topcat5 
#1 ·
How many of you use any of the commercially available deer attractants on the market today? Which ones have you used and did they work?

I never have really used them, until this weekend. While on our annual hunt at the Cueva Ranch, the guys from C'Mere Deer where there filming a hunt. They provided us with a few of there products to try out. I got to say, I was pretty impressed with them. I would have deer eating the C'Mere Deer when the feeder went off......they would just look up at the feeder and go back to eating the C'Mere Deer. I was kinda shocked. I think some of the guys were equally impressed.

Just curious what experiences some of you folks on here have had with it or some of the other similar commercially packaged products.

#3 ·
TXPR- do you think if the feeder was'nt there they would have stopped? in other words what if you threw it down a trail or sendero like corn? does it smell? if you go to their website there are mixed reviews, just curious..

#9 ·
Leemo said:
TXPR- do you think if the feeder was'nt there they would have stopped? in other words what if you threw it down a trail or sendero like corn? does it smell? if you go to their website there are mixed reviews, just curious..
Hard to say from my personal experience, because there were always feeders around. However, many of the deer seem to prefer it over the corn.

Borderbandit will have to give you the details, but, I think they had a deer last year that wouldn't come to corn or near the feeders. But, he would come to the C'Mere Deer. I believ that was his ultimate downfall.

#10 ·
So did the Buck Grub work better for you Dwhite??

I am gonna use them side by side openning day 30 yds apart and video it and see.--Send the tape to Alan Warren and to C'MERE DEER!--

I do like the Hog Wild and the deer do also--guess they liked the fruit smell.

On attractants I "Harvest " the urine of hot does myself at the skinning table every year and put it in a nasty bottle in my Hunting Bag--I know that works for me.

Also I harvest the BUCK urine and Bottle it --you will be supprised how that gets the attention of both Buck and Doe's alike!

That's my $25 trick for the day! Ha!

$50 trick is the plastic bag of TARSLE GLAND of Bucks in Full Rut also "IN THE BAG" so if you hunt with me be very carefull what you get out of my bag! Ha!
May take several showers to get it off! Ha!

swampus

#11 ·
We feed corn from feeders during the winter just like most others and I haven't ever tried any commercial attractants. I am planning to use Acorn Rage, I picked up 2 bags at Academy, this year just to see if it works. I don't normally hunt right on top of our corn feeders as I prefer to find trails to and from bedding and feeding areas. I will also hunt the oak trees in our hardwoods bottom areas if I see that they are producing a good acorn mast. I have had more success hunting away from our feeders although I admit sometimes, say 10%-15% of the time, I'll hunt a feeder.

#12 ·
Swampus said:
So did the Buck Grub work better for you Dwhite??

I am gonna use them side by side openning day 30 yds apart and video it and see.--Send the tape to Alan Warren and to C'MERE DEER!--
Buck Grub worked really good for us South of Ozona. We bowhunted on a friends place in Llano where there were no feeders. I put buck grub and C'mere deer out at my friends stand and he shot a 6 pt that stopped at the C'mere deer. Did the same thing in val verde and they stopped at the buck grub...must be a regional thing!

#14 ·
Swampus.. that's a great idea. I thought I was on the technological edge because I made my own cover scent! I think you've got me beat at the "home remedies" :)

I've been using C'mere deer in front of my trail camera, along with dumping corn when I'm there. The deer are definitly coming to the c'mere deer. I watched a couple of does licking it this weekend (poured the powder on a rock) and they would take a few licks, walk off and eat corn, then come back to take a few more licks. They repeated this at least 10 times. Maybe it's the same as eating a really rich food to humans...I'm just guessing.

I haven't tried anything else, but I like the idea of putting two different (or 3, or 4) things next to each other, and see which one gets the most attention.

#16 ·
Kyle--If that Big Buck is chasing that doe--It will Work!--Just like those Bucks stop to smell EVERY Rub on the trees and scrapes--saves a boat load of $ also--fresh'n up every year!--Makes them think other Bucks (like Mexico Bucks bottles) are in the area!--I like to study them and see reactions!--Those Tarsle Glands are easy to hang up about head high and really work!

#20 ·
Just a heads up.....there are certain ways of using the product that will make a huge difference in the way it performs. This is my 2nd hunt with Ivan and Steve and they are coming back in the spring to do an exotic hunt with the product. This stuff is pretty impressive.....my favorite way to use it is as "M&M's". They really get after it that way. Maybe some of the crew remebered how that was done?

#21 ·
Bucksnort said:
Well, I don't know if State Vet made some kinda deal with Mr.C'mere Deer but if he can post his video it is solid proof the stuff works. Heck even the dogs loved it. I think Palerider went and ate some too.
The video is available for $19.99 + Shipping and handling:biggrin:

#22 ·
Code Blue !! worked for me when I arrowed that nice buck earlier this year..I knew that the rut wasn't on yet but thought what the heck and poured a half a bottle on the ground when I got out of the stand from the evening hunt..The next morning the buck was waiting for me when I got in the stand..I used to be a Tinks man but I may convert.. not as proveable as c'mere deer b/c the deer aren't eating it but the Code Blue seem to say c'mere buck that morning..

#24 ·
Acorn Rage? Bah. We tried it...it's still where we put it a week before bow season started.

I didn't have much luck with the C'Mere Deer when I first tried it and blew it off as just another gimmick...it didn't work because I didn't follow the directions. I was very impressed with it this past weekend but then we had the guy who invented it there to show us what to do. (Actually, all you have to do is READ the directions, lol.)

The M&M's they made by soaking Corn in either the ROOT'N JUICE or in liquid C'Mere Deer, then putting the powder C'Mere Deer on it and shaking it up. The powder covered each kernal of corn and Ivan calls those "M&M's".

Anyway, it works, and where I hunted the C'Mere Deer wasn't placed close to the feeder, so who knows? I think that once the deer find it that they'll keep coming back for it. I'll let you know. :D

TH

#25 ·
That's right Martin, I forgot, where you shot your deer and where George shot his first one, were away from the feeders.

I think the "M&M's" Ivan was making was made with a diluted Rootin' Juice and dusted with the powder. However, I think he said plain water works. Just put corn in a bucket, add enough water to wet it thoroughly and add the powder until all the kernels are coated.

#26 ·
I have used c'mere deer, buck grub, lollipops, mineral blocks, scented blocks, 2000 proof, code blue, tinks and, yep, you guessed it, Activescrape, by Wildlife Systems. I have had mixed results from region to region. They love the minerals near San Saba and could care less in Palo Pinto. Up in the panhandle they do use them but not heavy. I put out a block about 3 years ago in San Saba. It was too strong for them. It even killed all the grass around it. The rain finally melted it last year and I forgot about it. Guess what??? The deer have dug a HOLE in the ground now where that block used to be. I guess the minerals diluted enough now that they are eating the dirt right out of the hole. I have them on film doing it. Also, in Palo Pinto, the corn is piling up since the acorns dropped but we are still getting lots of feeder shots because the deer are coming to our maple flavored blocks. They are eating them like candy. As far as scents, I used to like tinks 69 best but I am sold on Activescrape now. I use a dripper over a scrape and pour some right in the scrape. I definately increases buck activity.
To be fair on the c'mere deer I can't swear we went by the directions so maybe that's why we didn't notice any positive results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.