2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

i know better

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  haparks 
#1 ·
:hairout: i know better than to go out with out spraying on some decent spray-soaping up with some decent soap--using decent deoderant---man what a rookie mistake only cuz i forgot to buy it so far this year--i was in the stand a good 45 min before any light--and was enjoying a metor or two in the night sky--now mind u im deeeeeep in the woods --a good 2 miles off the main road-- a mile off the oil top road --and a few hundred yards off the oil feild road-- and a hundred off the property road-:walkingsm -u get the idea--so the sun rises--the feeder goes off at 7.15 and at about 7.45 i hear rumbling through the woods--yep here they come--hogs--the blood starts pumpin they are 5 yards to my right--at about 3.30 or 4.00 oclock--they stop sniff and like a miklitary cadet--make an about face and leave the same way they came in--the smelled me--i was so dissapointed-:cry: -i was gonna have piggie on a plate--pigs in a blanket--deep fried pig sandwitch--so i bet u know what im havin--a wish sandwitch--ya i wish i woulda got one--so im gonna get some decent products asap---PS ON ANOTHER NOTE---PLEASE BE CAREFUL--SOME ONE I KNOW --HAS A FAMILY MEMBER--FELL OUT FO THEIR DEER STAND--BROKE THERE BACK IN 4 PLACES--PARALIZED FOR LIFE--SO BE CAREFUL PLEASE:texasflag

#3 ·
Man that sucks but if you stink to a pig........LOL

I think a 100 gal full body dushe won't keep them from winding you.
I don't allow game to come in down wind of my stand, If they make a trail within 60yds I block it off with limbs or brush . works well for me.

#4 ·
Yeah, I doubt the sent blocker stuff would keep a hog from smelling you...I think they are the most wary critter on the planet.

I try to set up my feeder so they have to come in from up wind. I use water (ponds or deep drainages) as blockers. My biggest problem is when the wind switches are to the north they can smell me during bow season, not much of issue once gun season starts.

#5 ·
This past weekend I had two deer move in down wind of me. All I did was wash my clothes in scent free detergent and wear one of the fresh earth disks. Arrowed my first deer the same night. 1.5 yearold spike. Scent makes a difference. On the hog smelling you they have done the same thing with the same treatments on the clothing. Good luck on your next hunt.

#6 ·
txhoghtr said:
On the hog smelling you they have done the same thing with the same treatments on the clothing..
THH are you saying you have been able to trick hogs with scent control?

I have had them smell "hand thrown" corn around the feeder and take off.

I think deer are a bit easier to fool when is comes to scent. I sprayed down really well with Repel this weekend so I wouldn't be eatin alive again by the ciggers and I had deer smell me, but they came to the feeder any way.

#7 ·
wow thanks for all the sugestions like brush piles to block trail and drainage ditches etc--but i have fooled the hogs with decent spray buit u have to follow thess steps first bath of hot hot hot water---soak--use decent soap--dry off with towel has been decented--spray body with decent-put on decent deoderant-spray pits crotch etc every where-dont forget to spray ur hair-put on underwear that has been washed in decent--spray underwear with decent--put on camo that has been washed in decent--spray camo with decent--rubber boots--spray inside and out with decent--dont to forget the socks the as above--spray inside truck wher u touch and sit--when u get to hunting area spray urself again and all ur gear--i know this seems like alot but if u do not want to get caught by game u gotta do it-- if i have seen it once i ahve seen it a thousand times-- if u do not take these precautions u will get scented--winded or just plain caught by the game-like i did--i took a chance and lost--i thought i might loose but i wanted to hunt--that was the chance i took--i have to laugh--cuz i knew better

#8 ·
Sometimes with pigs it doesn't matter. I've seen them stand there and lick the blood off of one I shot, making it very easy to nail another one. At the same time I've had them smell a spot were I've bled one the day before and all aboutface and leave from where they came.

#9 ·
Pigs are smart critters. We had one drowning dogs. The young man took care of that old dude.
I buy the plastic container from Walmart. Line the bottom with cedar chips and put all your huntin gear in there and put the lid on it. When huntin season starts use the dirt soap etc. and your cammo, belts, jackets, coveralls all smell like a good old cedar chip.

Biggie

#11 ·
These are the exact steps I follow except I have a cigarette while I am getting dressed so I won't want one on the stand.

haparks said:
wow thanks for all the sugestions like brush piles to block trail and drainage ditches etc--but i have fooled the hogs with decent spray buit u have to follow thess steps first bath of hot hot hot water---soak--use decent soap--dry off with towel has been decented--spray body with decent-put on decent deoderant-spray pits crotch etc every where-dont forget to spray ur hair-put on underwear that has been washed in decent--spray underwear with decent--put on camo that has been washed in decent--spray camo with decent--rubber boots--spray inside and out with decent--dont to forget the socks the as above--spray inside truck wher u touch and sit--when u get to hunting area spray urself again and all ur gear--i know this seems like alot but if u do not want to get caught by game u gotta do it-- if i have seen it once i ahve seen it a thousand times-- if u do not take these precautions u will get scented--winded or just plain caught by the game-like i did--i took a chance and lost--i thought i might loose but i wanted to hunt--that was the chance i took--i have to laugh--cuz i knew better
I am joking........LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.