2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Best low cost scope, Bushnell?

5K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  Muddskipper 
#1 ·
I've looked through a few scopes, have one nice one. I'd like to find a hundred+ scope that'll do the job.
any of ya'll been thru this?

#5 ·
I don't know how they would work on a big gun, never tried, but I put one of the BSA Platnum Target line, 6-24X50 Mildot on my 17HMR and it has been great. Figured I could get away with a little cheaper scope because of no recoil out of the 17.

The Mod 70 300WSM that I won in a raffle came with a Tasco 3-9 on it and it only took that gun 5 rounds to destory that scope. I have a Simmons on her now and it's alright, but the gun does need something better!

#7 ·
Correctamundo!!!!
CHARLIE said:
Yes I have been through all that. I tried em all. My suggestion is just hold on and save for a better scope. Bad optics are just not worth it. You will spend the money sooner or later for a good scope if you continue to hunt..

Charlie

#8 ·
Like any tool ask yourself how will you be using the scope?

Bought myself a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn. Less than 100 dollars. Mounted it on my Marlin 45/70. Works fine. Would have preferred a Leupold scout scope .... but I also would have preferred to be born rich and handsome.

Consider your surroundings and range:

I've bought both good scopes and **** scopes. In average conditions the scopes perform roughly the same. If your hunting out of a covered blind you may get a way with a cheaper scope as it's covered and protected from the elements.

Same is true for distance. I tend to shoot within 100 yards so cheaper scopes compare okay to better scopes. In fact - most of my shots are within 75 yards, so a cheaper scope works fine. (Not great, but fine.)

Move onto low light, overcast, or rain pricier scopes perform better. I picked the Dust to Dawn cause it has a bigger bell on both ends and let's light through. There were issues mounting it on my rifle. In fact the bigger bells caused all kinds of mounting issues. I ended up having to buy a leather 'monte carlo' gizmo that allowed me to rest my cheek on the stock at the right hight. A compromise at best.

But at the end of the day, I have a scope that works just fine for the conditions I most frequently hunt out of. A little comprimise here allowed me to buy a better scope for my 30.06.

#10 ·
I have used a $60 Bushnell 40mm x 4-12 for about 10 years on a 30-06 and it has never moved. When I mount a scope I use a drop or two pipe glue or nail polish on the bases, the screws and inside of the rings. I would only do that if you don't plan to change the sope. If you want to change the scope latter you would have to use acetone and heat to remove it.

#11 ·
KIKO said:
I have used a $60 Bushnell 40mm x 4-12 for about 10 years on a 30-06 and it has never moved. When I mount a scope I use a drop or two pipe glue or nail polish on the bases, the screws and inside of the rings. I would only do that if you don't plan to change the sope. If you want to change the scope latter you would have to use acetone and heat to remove it.
Good point on the mounting of your scopes.

I didn't think to mention it, but I only use steel rings and bases. I know alot of people use the aluminum rings. They will work, but not as well as all steel.

#15 ·
Check out the Tasco world class line, this scope is a one piece tube design, which are usually found only in high end scopes, even the elite and prostsaff are not one piece designs.
I have a bushnell banner in 6x18x50 on a .243, and cant stand the the thing, the clarity at 18 power is basically unusable, I have to keep it at 12 power or less, it fogs up in the winter, cant see **** at dusk etc etc . I have a 6x16x40 tasco world class on a .22 hornet, that was priced less and works 10 times better than the banner.

#16 ·
Leupold rifleman is pretty good for the money and comprable to the old 1960's Vari X-II. Go to a store that has a mount for 2 or more scopes and try them side by side outdoors after sunset if possible. You will see a difference in the low end and high end scopes in optic clarity. What you won't see is the reliabilty, repeatability and durability, which you will not find out untill it is to late.

SWFA usually has some good deals on demo and refurbished scopes on their "List".

#17 ·
Leupold is my favorite, the older ones even better. You can find one used cheap. However, I have a couple carp guns that I wanted to put something on, but not invest. If you live in Austin go to McBrides. They are carrying their own brand or manufactured for them scope "Shooter's something or nother" 49.99 -69.99 for 3x9s plus of course scope rings, but they will also install right there for free, and bore sight.. which is.. nice..

#18 ·
Use cheap mounts and it won't matter if you have a $50 Tasco or $1,000 high end scope.

I like the Leupold rings and bases. I don't have one scope over $150 or $160 and they group just fine.

The optics won;t make you a better shot. they may give you an advantage to see earlier or later than other scopes but good mounts, proper ammo and disciplined shooting techniques are the key, IMO.

#26 ·
I was at the Bass Pro in Grape Vine holding a ZEISS that only cost $399

Now that aint Cheap......but its a freckin Zeiss......one of the leaders of high end scopes

I believe it was only a 3 x 9 so it was not high power, but it was nice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.