2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

33 years of Bowhunting

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Captn C 
#1 ·
Thinking back over the past 33 years of Bowhunting and to the best of my memories I believe the game is still winning. Here is how it broke down for me as good a this ole brain can remember.

Deer - 10 kills, 12 misses and 2 lost (lost don't count as kills)
Hogs - 2 kills, 4 misses
Bear - 1 kill
Rabbits, squirrels and other assorted small game - many kills, many misses.

Guess that's why it is still so much fun after all these years. It was rough on the ole deer front until the early 90s when I was 7-0-2. I hit 9 deer in a row and all of them were good shots or so they seemed. The two I lost were both late evening shots with light rain and the only two I ever shot with a bow in the evening, so you don't see me hunting much in the late evenings and never in the evenings and light rain. I generally quit and hour and a half before dark and it might have cost me a lot of shots over the years, but I don't want to go through losen another one.

So I've spilled my guts, how are the rest of you doing...............

#2 ·
Thanks Derek! That makes me feel a whole lot better after what transpired this past weekend!

#4 ·
Bret it happens to all of us, even more so those without wheels and cables on their bows. When I started hitting with my longbow it seemed easy, it was almost like I was in tune with the deer.

Of the total 33 years there were 12 when I did little or no hunting and no bow hunting. 8 of those was when I was in the Air Force. This year was the first arrow I've let fly at a deer in about 6 or 7 years. Once the kids got older we didn't have the money for a lease so I hunted public lands. Saw a lot of deer during bow season just never got one I felt good about taking a shot on. You will get there, I promise!

#5 ·
In the early days my hit to miss ratio was way off. I started with an old Bear Whitetail (1978). It sounded like a train wreck everytime I shot it. After at least three misses (one was hair shaving) I had a guy build me a Longbow which I shot my first big game animal with in 1980, a Bateville goat. My first deer came in 1982 with the same longbow. As time to practice went away (kids and wives-yes more than one) I moved to a Bear recurve and back to compound bows. I have loosed so many arrows at "stuff" over the years I have no idea how many misses, but I can tell it is a bunch.

Here is my "hit list":

20 deer (1 this year)
in the low 30's on hogs
2 Ibex/goat crosses
1 Corsacan Sheep
1 Black Hawian Sheep
3 Javilina
5 Raccoon (1 this year)
2 opossoms
4 Rattle snakes
2 Cotton Mouths
1 Wild Turkey (this year)
2 Doves (1 this year)
1 Quail
Dozens of rabbits and rats

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.