2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

The Boy's Big Week!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  S.O.B.(Salt On the Brain) 
#1 ·
Actually a week and a day.

Last weekend we hit Gander Mountain Lubbock for the first time. I know I shouldn't have these kind of feelings for a store.... Anyway, on the way home we got to wondering when the duck opener was, the dates weren't out yet when we got our licenses. Got online and found out it was a youth only weekend up here in the HPMMU. Dang! We didn't have any steel shot, and it's an hour back to Lubbock, and I'm just not that mad at the ducks. The Boy pouted, so I showed him how to pry open a dove load and fill it with BB's and re-close it. He spent half an hour doing up ten of them. It's now 10pm and I sent him to bed.

Next morning he sneaks up on a pothole full of ducks and flushes them just as two flocks he didn't see are trying to land. One minute later he's down nine shells with no ducks. I try to tell him to be patient, but no luck. Boom. Done. We're going home.

I suggest we check the hog trap. 114 lbs of polka dotted pig. We head rope him and tie his feet and call the hog buyer and decide it's not worth the trip, so we butcher him ourselves. He's joined us for some very fine meals this week!

This weekend. Friday night. The Boy's birthday is next weekend, just a few days before trapping season starts and he knows he's going to get some traps and trapping stuff, so we hit the local bullfrog pond with the pellet gun to put som trap bait in the freezer. Frogs being hard to find up here in November and all. We shot a few monsters in addition to the small bait frogs, but most of them sank into deep water near the steep banks. We did manage one monster and he got to try his first frog legs.

Saturday morning we hit the milo stubble before daylight and spook a bunch of tiny little pigs before we can even see to shoot them. They spooked the big ones and all but one runs off. The boy misses that one, but a whole herd come running by from farther up the field. I bust a big sow and hear bullet hit, but she's into the neighbor's brush and lost forever. Dropped The Boy off and went to work. The wind was screaming and we noticed the ducks we saw didn't want to fly, so we hit the potholes for a second try. This time with #6 steel. It was all over so fast! This time he got a greenwing teal female, shot the head OFF a female mallard, got something I can't identify but suspect it to be a female ruddy duck, and nailed a couple coots to make five.

He was too tired to get up this morning, so I was hunting solo. (The wife and daughter blew me off, too) I hit the same milo stubble, and yesterday's pigs were too smart to show, but two others showed and I did my best to welcome them. I had to stalk them in the open to within 60 yards to be able to take an offhand shot due to the wind. One saw me and started running and I busted him and then missed a "Texas Neck Shot" on the second pig but then nailed him with a perfect running shot to the shoulder when he turned broadside.

Went to check the trap and the guy with a trap near mine had just shot one outside his trap and ended up giving it to me along with three more he had in the trap. Butchered the three dead ones and distributed meat to family and friends, then loaded up the live ones and sold them for $177.00!!

Not a bad weekend, but my face hurts from smiling so much!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Great report! Man I miss living in Lubbock and hunting the panhandle. Keep up the reports, please.

Great pic of your son and the dogs and that is a beautiful chocolate lab. It probably was a ruddy duck, we use to shoot alot of those dumb little birds up there,lol. The drakes make a great mount.

#6 ·
Wacker,

Yes we do hunt cranes. That's not to say we have ever killed any. Hoping to break that curse soon. There are some big flocks just north of here and we're expecting them in the milo stubble any time now.

Deke,

My wife thanks you for the compliment on her lab. That was his first legitimate hunting retrieve. He's done a little pigeon retrieving at the gin, and is deciding that guns really aren't that scary. Not bad at all for a dog who never saw a gun 'til he was two years old.

Lance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.