2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

28ga. O/U - Beretta or Browning

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Reel Lucky 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a 28ga. O/U. My limited search has it narrowed down to a Beretta Silver Pigeon S or a Browning 525 Field. They seem to be priced about the same. I know having the best fit to me is the number one concern, but does anyone have an opinion to help me choose between these two guns assuming they both fit me well?

I'm also stuck between a 26" or 28" barrell. I'll use it for 90% dove hunting / 10% quail.

I got hooked on my dad's Winchester 101 20ga with 26" barrels and am trying to get something of my own that feels as good.

#3 ·
BERETTA SILVER PIGEON

I have a silver pigeon II sporting 12 gauge with 32" barrels, LOVE IT.
Remember Beretta is made in Italy.

The 525 has that crazy palm swell (I don't care for it), plus they are ported. I'm not sure if the 28 is but you know a 28 need no porting.

Plus I think the 525 is more money.

That is mearly my opinion though.
I say you get what you want. People will tell you get what fits you best, but more than likely when spending that kind of money you will have it proffesionally fit anyway.

Get what you like.

#7 ·
The most important thing is how do they fit you. Brownings' geometry is much flatter that most Berettas. I.E. Less drop at the heel and comb. Every Browning I have ever picked up, I am looking at rib, and would have to have major stock modifications made to make them fit.

Berettas fit like an 1100 Remington. They fit almost everyone. Shoulder each gun with your eyes closed, and then open your eyes, and see what it looks like. I would bet that on the Browning you are looking at significant rib- you'll shoot high every time.

I have the Beretta you are talking about in 12 and 20 in the sporting clay model with 30" bbls, and love them both.

Remember that the overall length on an over and under vs. an automatic, with same length barrels, will be about 2 inches shorter. On the auto you have the action at the back of the bbls. In other words, 28" bbls on O/U will give the same length overall gun as an auto with 26" bbls- approx. So if you are comfortable with 26" bbls on your auto, get 28" on your O/U. For what you are wanting to do, I would definitely get the 28" bbls. I have 30" bbls on both of mine and love them both- even for skeet and quail. Although I will admit that for quail I usually pull out my side by side AYA'S- 28 ga and 410.

THE JAMMER

#9 ·
Both

I have the Browning Featherlite in the 12 that I love and just got the Silver Pig in the 28 and got to shoot it a couple times this weekend at Carters... It is really nice and I am verypleased with it.

Heading S to put it to the real test Friday!

J

#12 ·
28 ga

I own and like my Beretta Silver Pigeon II Sporting with 30" bbls in 28 ga. Around my gun club it is a toss up between late model Berettas and Brownings. Get the one that fits best and you like. But I have a real firm opinion on one part of your Q. Be sure to get at least 28 inch barrels....unless you are very short. And get the wide rib that comes with sporting clays/target versions. This is because the 28 gauge is itty bitty....but with the longest barrels your height and physique allows with a wide target rib you are swinging and looking down a real gun and not a toy. I would not want 32" because I think I would be dragging them on brush etc. But someone 6'4'' would probably prefer 32s.

#13 ·
Thanks!! - excellent feedback

Thanks for all the feedback. This is very helpful information. I live in San Antonio and we don't seem to have a store that has a real wide range of O/U's. I'm leaning heavily towards the Sivler Pigeon S 28ga with 28" bbls and I found one by phone one so I'll stop by to see if it fits.

In regards to the wide vent - I'm not aware of a wide vent in the "S" version which is a field model, but I can see where that would be nice because these guns really are small.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.