2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Good day at the range with Hornady rounds

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  sps 
#1 ·
Went to Hot Wells today to re-site my new scope on my 30-30. I had sited it in at 50 yds with Winchester 150 gr flat nose. It shot a little low at 100 yards with them. Swithced to the Hornady Leverution ballistic tips and instantly noticed it shot several inches higher at 100 yards, hmmmmmm... so after a few shots I got it shooting a tighter group than this gun has ever done. I was pretty impressed as I didnt think this gun had the ability to group 3 shots in 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards. So hopefully I'll get a chance to see how well they actually kill hogs and deer this year. Next weekend will be practicing with the 25-06, as Im not used to using a bolt action much.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
You sound like you have the same guns as I do I went to Carters last Friday with the new Horandy bullets with the old 30-30 and I had mine sighted in an 1" high at 100yrds and with the Horandy bulletts it was 7"'s higher but right in line so after 3 clicks and 5 shots later I had the same grouping as yo have in your pictue they seem to shot really great out of my Marlin with a weaver 4x. I also shot my 25-06 with the winchester silver tip 120gr and had the last three shots touching each other 1" high at the 100yrd range good luck with your new found 30-30 that is the way the bulletts made me feel that I had a new gun to shoot.

#5 ·
thanks guys, i am exicited and feel like i have a new toy to play with now. Im now much more confident in taking a 100+ yard shot with the Marlin. THe other one is a Remington 700 25-06 with a bushnell banner scope. Ive only shot it at 50yrds to check it out and i had to get the target to see that all 5 shots were in the same hole, made the hole just look like a .45 had punched a large hole in the paper. Im very anxious to shoot it out at 100. I actually want to use the silver tips also as thats what the original owner always shot thru it and said it was pin-point accurate. Do they make the silver tips in only 120gr.?

#6 ·
I went to the range today to fire a fouling shot in my 7MM WSM and 204 Ruger. The 7MM WSM "trusty" needed the fouling shot before she went sub MOA (loves the 160 grainers), but to my suprise the Savage 204 hit the bullseye from a cold bore after it was cleaned. Then it just got fun from there on. I am a .204 fan now.

The Marlin 30-30 is on my list. Good groups you got there!

#8 · (Edited)
Not to hijack this thread, but I would be careful using ballistic tips on game. Some people have had success, but there is a reason they have been banned from several ranches that I know of. They group well, but performance on game has been poor in many situations. I had problems with them using my 25-06.

#9 ·
220swifter said:
Not to hijack this thread, but I would be careful using ballistic tips on game. Some people have had success, but there is a reason they have been banned from several ranches that I know of. They group well, but performance on game has been poor in many situations. I had problems with them using my 25-06.
I see this comment every once in a while.

Personally I have been using them for years and I have never had an issue with one...not one. I have only used them in .243, 6mm imp .270, .280 and 7mm mag.

They have all been hand loaded and I like it hot. I wonder if they are not pushing them hard enough?!?!? I like max powder charge in all of mine.

BTW-great group for a 30-30! Pretty darn good for any caliber!

#10 ·
Captn C said:
I see this comment every once in a while.

Personally I have been using them for years and I have never had an issue with one...not one. I have only used them in .243, 6mm imp .270, .280 and 7mm mag.

They have all been hand loaded and I like it hot. I wonder if they are not pushing them hard enough?!?!? I like max powder charge in all of mine.

BTW-great group for a 30-30! Pretty darn good for any caliber!
I am not real sure why. I am far from an expert, but I have personally witnessed several deer where the bullet just exploded on impact with virtually no penetration. I think I was shooting light loads in my 25-06.(117 gr.??) Maybe the combo of high speed/light gr is the problem.

#12 ·
Captn C said:
I am shoot 95 grain in 6mm imp and 243, 130 in my 270 and 140 in both 280 and 7mag.

Isn't 117 about as big a bullet you can get for 25-06?
I think so. I see in some earlier post that they mentioned 120 gr. I now shoot Nosler Partitions in my 25-06 and do not have problems anymore. I have just heard people say that high speed and ballistic tips are accurate, but do not hold up well. I shoot Noslers out of my 220 swift with great results too. I really don't hunt myself much anymore. My kids and wife do most of the shooting, but I would not hesitate to use my 220 swift on a large buck, but not with ballistic tips.

#14 ·
220swifter said:
When the ballistic tip bullet design was introduced, that is what it was made to to. EXPLODE
It was to go shallow into game and explode. Working like a fragmenting grenade and doing lots of internal damage.
They didnt work so well.
That bullet design has been off the market for sometime. Barnes now makes one similar for varmits.
Most of the ballistic tip bullets today are made very well with thick outer jackets. Before I buy a bullet I would check it out on the web to see how its built and how its supposed to perform.
A couple out today are the Swift scorrocos and Hornady interbonds, both have ballistic tips and retian mucho weight after impact.

#15 ·
Redfishr said:
When the ballistic tip bullet design was introduced, that is what it was made to to. EXPLODE
It was to go shallow into game and explode. Working like a fragmenting grenade and doing lots of internal damage.
They didnt work so well.
That bullet design has been off the market for sometime. Barnes now makes one similar for varmits.
Most of the ballistic tip bullets today are made very well with thick outer jackets. Before I buy a bullet I would check it out on the web to see how its built and how its supposed to perform.
A couple out today are the Swift scorrocos and Hornady interbonds, both have ballistic tips and retian mucho weight after impact.
That could be, my experiences were 5 years ago. Maybe my info is outdated.

#16 ·
To Redfishr's point, Nosler did re-design the Ballistic Tips and now makes both Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint Bullets and Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting Bullets. The hunting bullet are supposed to have a heavier jacket construction than the prior design. The varmint bullets come in .20, .22, 6mm and .25. The hunting bullets come in 6mm, .25, 6.5mm, .270, 7mm, .30 and 8mm.

Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting
http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=5&s=5

Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint
http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=5&s=17

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.