2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

First Bow Kill

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  EastBound 
#1 ·
Pictures from my first bow kill. Bitter sweet.

Fantastic evening. Saw 5 deer. Almost every half hour deer would visit my feeder. As my stand is in a place where the wind blows at my back, every deer that came into the feeder had her nose in the air. Couldn't draw on any as they were very nervous and not stopping for long to eat the corn. Finally one came in with her head down. A good clean shot.

The doe ran away behind some scrub. I waited about twenty minutes and climbed down from my stand. With the shadows growing long I couldn't see a blood trail.

Went after the trail the next afternoon. Pretty proud of myself. I tracked the deer blood drop, by blood drop. It was hot and dirty work. At each speck I placed a piece of trail tape.

I eventually lost the trail. I looked for a while and couldn't pick it up. My eye caught some fur under a bed of straw. At first I thought that the doe had covered herself. However, when I uncovered her I found that something had eaten my doe. My guess is she was eaten by a Mountain Lion or Bob Cat. As Bob Cats are so prevalent in this areas I would guess the later.

A little bitter sweet as it would have been great to have some deer sausage for the mornings during rifle season.

The next morning I went out to look again, and the doe was once again covered with straw. Whatever had eaten her, came back the next night to snack again.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
laws of nature, too bad you didn't have a game cam to see what's coming to dinner. good story and better luck next time. I use small pieces of toilet paper when I'm by myself because it will detoriate and I don't have to pick it back up after I find the deer

#9 ·
OUTLAW said:
laws of nature, too bad you didn't have a game cam to see what's coming to dinner. good story and better luck next time. I use small pieces of toilet paper when I'm by myself because it will detoriate and I don't have to pick it back up after I find the deer
Outlaw, on my lease I'd be afraid to follow pieces of toilet paper ... I'm certain it wouldn't lead me to a deer, but to a big pile of .... never mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.