2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Blind questions

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  redfish bayrat 
#1 ·
Getting a late start building a new blind. Others at the lease are too small or too bad a shape for two to hunt. Going 4 x5 and was wondering what the angle is for the tower legs. Don't want them straight down from the blind. Would like to splay them out a little for more stability. Will also be using a deadman anchor set up. Just guessing the angle is somewhere in the 30 degree area. Any help would be appreciated.

#3 ·
redfish bayrat said:
Getting a late start building a new blind. Others at the lease are too small or too bad a shape for two to hunt. Going 4 x5 and was wondering what the angle is for the tower legs. Don't want them straight down from the blind. Would like to splay them out a little for more stability. Will also be using a deadman anchor set up. Just guessing the angle is somewhere in the 30 degree area. Any help would be appreciated.
When we build a 10' tower we make the top a 4'x4' (to match the 4x4 box) and the bottom is a 5'x5'. To anchor we set on mobile home "screw" anchor in the center between all four legs. Run 1/8" steel cable from the top of each leg to the anchor using an 8" turn buckle on the anchor. Use a turn buckle with an eye-bolt on one end and a screw hook on the other. Cable through the eye and hook the anchor. Bend the hook closed over the eye of the anchor. Use jam nut on the turn buckle.

We have used towers like this for about 14 years now and have had one blow over in a storm. That was before the jam nuts and bending the hook over the anchor.

We also set the feet on 12" round concrete paver stones.

#5 ·
For what it's worth, I always use scaffolding. You can make it 5' or 10', it's stable and quick to assemble. I build my stand 4 X 6 and lay 8' landscape timbers or 4 X 4' across the top of the scaffold which gives room for a 2' porch. Here's a pic of my setup (I went a little overboard on the stairs).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.