2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Saw six, got two..

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Trent D 
#1 ·
squirrels. A recent post regarding squirrel hunting got the itch started and this morning was perfect. I was unable to go to lease and bow hunt so I decided to slip off up to the Sam Houston National Forest. It had been years since I hunted this one particular spot. I left Pasadena at 5:30 am and slid the truck off the dirt road about 7:15 am. Got my hunting vest and 22 WMR model 94 Winchester and moved into the woods at 7:30 am. The morning was perfect, no wind and a crisp 62 degrees. I hadn't gone 75 yards when I saw the first tell tale branch bounce up unnaturally. I eased forward and saw a fox (red) squirrel running down a limb about 40 yards. He would not stop long enough for me to connect. I eased forward a little and hunkered down near a little pine. Ten minutes went by and a cat (gray squirrel) went running along a branch about 40 yards away. Still no connect. I moved up about 30 yards under four large oak trees. Fresh cut acorns were on the ground. I waited again. About ten more minutes and two cat squirrels were moving through the trees coming in my direction. When one got close I could not stand it and took a shot while he was searching for an acorn in the tree tops. I fired and he took off i could not believe I missed with a 9 power scope. He only went 10 yard and I shot as he slowed down. Dang. missed again. Now I begin to wonder if my scope was off and the heart was pounding a little. He again stopped in another 10 yards and I centered the cross hairs and krepow. He fell out of the tree. I took a deep breath and did not move looking for the other one. In less than a minute he came running to the spot his litter mate had just fallen. He stopped and krepow this one fell within 6 feet of the first. Now your talking. I picked up the squirrels and moved on along. I saw two more but did not manage a shot. Maybe next time a shot gun. Before you know it it was 10:45 and I needed to get back. It was great being out and bringing back old memories. I will do this again and soon.

See less See more
#4 ·
Ok, Now I'm Jealous

Great report. Keep them Coming!

I started the "A Good Morning" squirrel thread last week and I've been itching to get back out there ever since.

Thought I'd make it out this morning, but the wife put the brakes on that.

I will probably watch the weather and take a morning off some time next week.

Trent D

#6 ·
Move Slowwwwllllyyyy

That's the key. It sometimes takes me 15 + minutes to move 20 feet if I think I'm working a good area that a squirrel is hiding in. No fast or abrupt movements.

Key in on abnormal branch movement, and especially sounds. 4 times out of 5 I'll hear a squirrel before I see it. If you hear one and don't see it, find a tree with a good view of where you think the squirrel is and sit down for about 20 minutes. They'll typically get curious and show themselves if you're patient. Listen for falling stuff. Especially falling nuts or pine cone "leaves" during the mornings and evenings when they're feeding.

Also, do a search on Youtube for squirrel sounds to see what their alarm call sounds like. That's another good way track them down.

Last, do some scouting. I found a topo map of Sam Houston National Forest online and looked for creek bottoms. They typically hold a good number of hardwoods. Lots of acorns = squirrels. I also find it easier to hunt after a light rain because you make a lot less noise when you step on leaves and sticks.

Good Luck,

Trent D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.