2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Cold front migration question

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  capn 
#1 ·
This question came up over in the fishing discussion and I thought I would bring it over here. Do ducks that are being pushed south by progressively colder fronts concentrate on the front of the front, during the front or after with the strong north wind? My theory is after with the north wind. What do ya'll think?

#6 ·
Correct and still a lot of 'short-stopping' going on keeping ducks up north. WW
BlueBound said:
They migrate on the N wind. Most ducks migrate based more on photoperiod than weather. Mallards are hardy and will stay as long as open water and food are available.

#8 ·
Ducks migrate ahead of a front. The reason for this (and it sounds contradictory, but has been published many times) is that the strong south winds provide more lift with less effort on the birds part. To understand that, think of an air plane. To fly it needs wind moving over the wings from front to back in order to provide lift, not pushing from the back. Same for ducks. The head wind makes it easier for them to get way up high and stay there.

Like the others said, most of our ducks on the coast are photoperiod migrators, but they will definitely use the strong south winds ahead of a front to aid their migration. Otherwise, they have to stop over and rest more frequently.

#9 ·
Strong Northerns work more on the mallards as food sources are covered up by snow and available water freezes over. More of the ducks that I hunt in S/SE Tx (teal, gadwals, widgeon, pintail, scaup, redhead, etc.) migrate due to the change in seasons ie. (shorter days)
capn said:

Like the others said, most of our ducks on the coast are photoperiod migrators, but they will definitely use the strong south winds ahead of a front to aid their migration. Otherwise, they have to stop over and rest more frequently.

#10 ·
capn said:
Ducks migrate ahead of a front. The reason for this (and it sounds contradictory, but has been published many times) is that the strong south winds provide more lift with less effort on the birds part. To understand that, think of an air plane. To fly it needs wind moving over the wings from front to back in order to provide lift, not pushing from the back. Same for ducks. The head wind makes it easier for them to get way up high and stay there.

Makes a lot of since!

I have always noticed the ducks show up about ½ day before the front….

#12 ·
capn said:
To fly it needs wind moving over the wings from front to back in order to provide lift, not pushing from the back. Same for ducks. The head wind makes it easier for them to get way up high and stay there.
Close but no cigar. You've explained why ducks and airplanes takeoff and land upwind. The wind velocity is added to the autogenerated forward motion (increased airspeed = shorter distance over the ground). I have bucked enough headwinds and ridden enough tailwinds to tell you that once off the ground, a tailwind is good. Higher groundspeed for the same power output. Same with birds.

They will migrate on any wind, depending on other variables, but a N wind and a full moon is preferred. This is when the rare "Grand Passages" occur. However, birds (waterfowl) can hear approaching storms (they hear thunder, etc., in frequency ranges we cannot hundreds of miles away), and can feel changes in barometric pressure, and will flee a bad one.

Photoperiod migrators vs weather migrators - I don't think any bird is totally one or the other, although some come close. Some are more influenced by one factor, others the other factor. Preferred food availability, availability of water (important in the Central Flyway), and gunning pressure I believe all can and sometimes do influence migration.

#13 ·
Levelwind said:
Close but no cigar. You've explained why ducks and airplanes takeoff and land upwind. The wind velocity is added to the autogenerated forward motion (increased airspeed = shorter distance over the ground). I have bucked enough headwinds and ridden enough tailwinds to tell you that once off the ground, a tailwind is good. Higher groundspeed for the same power output. Same with birds.
Like I've said, just quoting what I've read in several publications. It seems counterintuitive for the very reason you've mentioned. But, before going forward any at all, that bird has to climb thousands of feet, then descend as well. With a headwind, that bird can take a break and glide for a LONG ways while losing minimal altitude.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.