2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Quick youth hunting question

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  BlueBound 
#1 ·
Taking my bro and nephew dove hunting this weekend. neither hunt and I've bought the super combo for so long I'm not real sure of their regulations.
I know my brother has to have the Texas migratory bird stamp and I'm thinking my nephew (10 yrs) does not need a license, is that about right?
thanks

#4 ·
Youth Hunting License (Type 169): $6
Valid for any person, resident or non-resident, under 17 years of age at the date of license purchase. Exempt from state stamp requirements. License and state stamp exemptions remain valid for the entire license year.

AND

Texas Migratory Game Bird Stamp Endorsement (Type 168): $7
Required to hunt any migratory game bird (waterfowl, coot, rail, gallinule, snipe, dove, sandhill crane, and woodcock). A valid Federal Duck Stamp and HIP Certification are also required of waterfowl hunters 16 years of age or older. A free Federal Sandhill Crane Hunting Permit is required to hunt sandhill cranes.

#5 ·
Main Frame 8 said:
Youth Hunting License (Type 169): $6
Valid for any person, resident or non-resident, under 17 years of age at the date of license purchase. Exempt from state stamp requirements. License and state stamp exemptions remain valid for the entire license year.

AND

Texas Migratory Game Bird Stamp Endorsement (Type 168): $7
Required to hunt any migratory game bird (waterfowl, coot, rail, gallinule, snipe, dove, sandhill crane, and woodcock). A valid Federal Duck Stamp and HIP Certification are also required of waterfowl hunters 16 years of age or older. A free Federal Sandhill Crane Hunting Permit is required to hunt sandhill cranes.
That's a little confusing. It says "state stamp exemptions" in one paragraph, but you still need the state migratory bird stamp? I bought a youth license for my 10 year old , but didn't even think to buy any stamps. Is this a sure necessity?

#10 ·
Soapeddler said:
Usually the guys working at the counter where you buy your license will know the answers. The lawyers who write the regs don't know how to talk in plain English, but fortunately the slaes folks usually do.
Good idea. That was what a guy at the opening day dove hunt told the Game Warden. He said he told the sales guy he he was going hunting tomorrow (9/1/2007) and needed a box for shells and a hunting license. That's what he got, but not stamps/tags.

Not to worry the Game Warden explained everything to him and even gave him a reminder "note" to help him remember next year. You always learn better when you pay for the lesson.

If you have any questions pick up the phone or email Park & Wildlife, don't assume the sales guys knows anything more than you.

As to the current question, I agree with Pale Rider, at 10 years of age your boy should not need the bird stamp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.