2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Bow Advice

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  TXPalerider 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am in the market for a new bow. Do you all have any advice on which kind to get? I havent shot in a bow in awhile and want to get one for hunting. From what I have read and heard is that Mathews Switchback are pretty good. I also ran into a Diamond by Bowtech Triumph for a pretty good deal. By the way i shoot Left Handed...not sure if that matters with the diffrent brands....any advice or input will help

#2 ·
Don't get caught up in all the hype. Todays technology is pretty darned good across the board. Some of the companies just have better marketing departments than the others. Mathews makes and awesome bow. But, I've also met people that hated them.
The key is to shoot them and get what feels good to you. And, look for a quiet bow. Don't get caught up in the IBO speeds. Most all of them are over 300 fps now days.

#3 ·
You're gonna have to shoot them to decide. I'm a huge Bowtech fan and shoot an Allegiance, but also love the Guardian. Mathews are good bows too but I like the Switchback XT better than the Drenalin, also lot of the ones from Diamond I've shot and like such as the Black Ice, shot a few Evotek bows and liked them too. Hoyt is supposed to have some nice bows, but the one I shot recently was really loud even with a factory string suppressor on it, which surprised the heck out of me, but other than the noise it was pretty smooth and comfortable and I liked the grip.

#5 ·
TXPalerider said:
Don't get caught up in all the hype. Todays technology is pretty darned good across the board. Some of the companies just have better marketing departments than the others. Mathews makes and awesome bow. But, I've also met people that hated them.
The key is to shoot them and get what feels good to you. And, look for a quiet bow. Don't get caught up in the IBO speeds. Most all of them are over 300 fps now days.
Getting caught up in the hype is half the fun...lol

Finding the right bow for you is going to be easier said than done. I too am a lefty and it's very rare that I can go anywhere and find a place that has a lefty in stock. Even then to find one with the right draw length never happens. Shoot me a PM with some of your specs i.e. draw length and desired draw weight and I'll try to steer you in the right direction.

#6 ·
I really agree with TXPalerider. All new bows are fast enough, but are they are QUIET? Use a setup that is fairly forgiving for slight mistakes made during the adrenaline rush of the shot. Visit a pro shop, and maybe take someone with good ears to listen while you shoot.

TXPalerider said:

#7 ·
TXPalerider said:
This is true a lot of hype out there today and the bigger companies with the most money get to spend more on that hype.

When looking don't pass up on CP Oneida Eagles or Monster Bows. These are really in a different world than your mainstream bows, but I am a big fan of both due to the smooth draw and effenency in their energy production and delievery.

#8 ·
justletmein said:
........... Hoyt is supposed to have some nice bows, but the one I shot recently was really loud even with a factory string suppressor on it, which surprised the heck out of me, but other than the noise it was pretty smooth and comfortable and I liked the grip.
That suprises me too. One of the things Hoyt's are known for is being quiet.

On another note, when my son was looking at bows recently, we loved some of a particular brand and hated others. Some loud, some quiet. It's definitely different from model to model.

Also, he tried shooting a Bear Element and couldn't draw it a 60#, the cam was to hard. Didn't have a problem with any of the others.

Specifically, a couple of bows I would recommend that are not real pricey, are the Parker Trailblazer and the Diamond Rapture. Both were relatively smooth an quiet. GM and BPS carry packages on both.

#11 ·
bountyhunter said:
If I was in the market, I might buy from BPS but I wouldn't from any of the other chain stores. It would have to be from a well known Bow Shop! Most of the guys at those chain stores don't know beans about properly setting up a bow and will tell you anything to make the sell!
Rich over at Gander on 290 is pretty knowledgeable. Has always done great work for me. BPS in Katy is about a 50/50 deal on getting a good tech.

#13 ·
Most of the bows on the market are state of the art, like most here say it is what feels good to you. Check out Bountyhunters post on bow help thread this week as he explaines about how diff cams and limbs expend there energy.
I shoot a mathews LX and no way whould I trade up to one of the new models, I like the mild cams that are easy to pull and less tempermental with spline and tuning. I shoot hurt A LOT! and just dont like those steep cams and to me forgivenes in hunting situations means a lot. My freind shoots a bowtec and I think it is one of the fastest and flatest shooting bows made but it's just not for me. Have fun shooting all those bows out there but plan on spending some time to find that one bow out there that just feels like a part of you instead of a arrow slinging machine. To me it's like finding a woman, Once I buy in I can't aford to get rid of her.

#15 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the advice and input. I visited my local archery pro shop and they just so happened to have a mathews switchback xt that a outfitter had bought but then went out of business or something like that. Anyway it was only used maybe 10 times they said and it is in like new condition. I tried it out nad it fit my draw length perfect and felt really good so I ended up buying it. I set it up with a cobra sidewinder sight, trophy taker arrow rest and a pro view peep sight. Now i need to worry about what arrows and broadheads to get LOL. I was thinking some gold tip arrows and some slick trick heads...or the G5 montec's.

#18 ·
animal said:
Hey guys thanks for all the advice and input. I visited my local archery pro shop and they just so happened to have a mathews switchback xt that a outfitter had bought but then went out of business or something like that. Anyway it was only used maybe 10 times they said and it is in like new condition. I tried it out nad it fit my draw length perfect and felt really good so I ended up buying it. I set it up with a cobra sidewinder sight, trophy taker arrow rest and a pro view peep sight. Now i need to worry about what arrows and broadheads to get LOL. I was thinking some gold tip arrows and some slick trick heads...or the G5 montec's.
Good deal, you'll be very happy with that setup. Just realize you're now entered into an eternal fight with your buddies who own Bowtechs and obligated to years of ribbing eachother and Mathews Vs. Bowtech stabs. :D

You're right on with the arrows and heads too.

#20 ·
bountyhunter said:
If I was in the market, I might buy from BPS but I wouldn't from any of the other chain stores. It would have to be from a well known Bow Shop! Most of the guys at those chain stores don't know beans about properly setting up a bow and will tell you anything to make the sell!
I can attest to this first hand. I haven't been impressed with the one here in SA. What makes it even worse is that they are cocky about their ignorance.

BTW, congrats on getting the Switchback XT. You won't be dissappointed. My Switchback is a proven killer.

#21 ·
Fresh2Salt said:
I can attest to this first hand. I haven't been impressed with the one here in SA. What makes it even worse is that they are cocky about their ignorance.

They must be a crappshoot everywhere. My buddy bought his bow there in SA, but, he says he deals with one particular guy that was very helpful. Also, even though my buddy is new to bow hunting, all of the info/advice the guy at BPS has given him seems "spot on."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.