2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

deer camp pranks

6K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  James Herman 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this may offend some of the "serious" types, but I noticed on the "deer lease rules" thread, it's ending with some "prank" type stuff, so I figured a new thread would be better.

Here's mine: We have a relative, who is supposedly the best "trophy" hunter of them all. He's always claimed to have made the longest shots, shoots the "biggest" gun, has the "best" truck, and knows all there is to know about hunting. You should have a good impression of him now. Well my uncle had a little plan for him one morning. As we were hunting a very large, south texas ranch, driving around in a truck with a "high rig" on the back is the norm. We were riding around one December morning, when we spotted a "HUGE" buck, about 200 yards off. My "relatives" voice started trembling, and he sure started getting the "fever". He got a good rest, and took a steady shot with his trusty 300 mag. WHAM! Some hair flew, but the deer didn't flinch. WHAM!, again, some hair and debris, , but the deer was still standing. By now, he was flat out shaking, sweating, and cussing in disbelief. My uncle and I were watching with our binoculars, and just ebbing him on to drop this massive buck. Well, needless to say, he emptied his rifle, (and he was a good shot), and stared in disbelief, that the buck was still standing. He was rapidly loosing his cool, when my uncle finally burst out laughing. We then let him in on our "joke". A few days before the hunt, we had taken one of my uncles old, but very good deer mount out of a storeroom. We then took the rack of a pretty decent 10 or 12 pointer, and placed it inside of the big mounted deer. It pretty much amounted to a HUGE, non-typical, with 4 main beams, and probably over 24 big long tines. We placed it in some thick brush and secured it. You could very clearly see only the neck and head above the brush. At 200 yds, it looked EXTREMELY realistic. My "relative" had perfectly placed all 4 rounds of his 300 mag. squarely in the neck. The worst , or maybe the BEST part is that I had a mini tape recorder in my front pocket, and got the whole deal on tape. His sounds of disbelief, cussing, and second guessing himself were absolutely hillarious. He was SOOOOO embarrassed afterwards, and he eventually got pretty upset with us. He tried and tried, for years to get that tape from us, and at one point, if I remember correctly, even tried to purchase it from us. Ever since then, at large family gatherings and what not, my uncle would threaten him that he was going to "release" the tape for the family to hear. He would plead and plead for that not to happen. It never did, and my "relative" is still the "big" hunter. I wonder what ever happened to that cassette. Anyways, I thought this would be a relief from some of the serious stuff we've been discussing about deer leases. So heres to the new thread DEER CAMP PRANKS

Man buckmstr, you were thinking the same, I didn't realize you had already started this thread when I submitted mine. Sorry, but I'm happy to see we think the same. greenie going at you

See less See more
#5 ·
A few years ago we had a guy at our place that was the "know it all" and always annoyed everyone. The night before opening deer season after he went to bed my brother and I wired his horn to his break on his hunting jeep. When he got in the jeep the next morning he put his foot on the break to start it up and knew that he had been had. He was so mad he peeled out of camp to head in the pasture trying his best not to use the break. The really funny thing was even though he wasn't using the break that much every time he hit a bump the pedal would rattle and the horn would honk. We sat on the porch and laughed for ten minutes as we could hear him driving and honking all the way to his stand wich was about 2 miles from camp.

I could go on and on on this thread, but this is my favorite practical joke story from our ranch.

#9 ·
Chad said:
"A few years ago we had a guy at our place that was the "know it all" and always annoyed everyone. The night before opening deer season after he went to bed my brother and I wired his horn to his break on his hunting jeep. When he got in the jeep the next morning he put his foot on the break to start it up and knew that he had been had. He was so mad he peeled out of camp to head in the pasture trying his best not to use the break. The really funny thing was even though he wasn't using the break that much every time he hit a bump the pedal would rattle and the horn would honk. We sat on the porch and laughed for ten minutes as we could hear him driving and honking all the way to his stand wich was about 2 miles from camp."

Now that there's funny! Would have loved to see/hear that.
BB

#10 · (Edited)
Me and some buddies used to hunt around a remote area around Carrizo Springs. One of the guys in our group was an indian artifact hunter fanatic. We couldn't keep him from walking around the lease cause he was always looking for Indian artifacts. Well one of the guys on the lease, Bubba, was ready to play a cruel joke on the artifact hunter. One weekend we worked putting a culvert across a small creek. As we started digging my buddy finds a real nice arrow head. This got him fired up. Well Bubba had been wanting to move his stand and clear out a sendero and he had a great idea.

The next time we were up at the lease Bubba brings a small indian pot that he had bought in some shop in New Mexico. He buried it in the same area where we had put in the culvert. He buried it just enough to where you could see the handle sticking out of the ground. Well the following weekend Bubba talks the the indian hunter into going down to the creek to see how the culvert is holding up. Of course, Bubba pretends to spot something sticking out the ground. Yep, it was the pot. Well the indian hunter is beside himself. He asks Bubba if he realizes what he just found and goes on and on. Bubba plays it up and tells indian hunter that since this means so much to him he will give it to him if he clears out the sendero for him. The indian hunter is ecstatic and agrees. He keeps telling Bubba he feels bad because he thinks he is getting the better end of the deal. After the indian hunter clears out the sendero, Bubba hands over the indian pot as agreed. If you ever have cleared out a sendero you know what I am talking about. It is hard work. Poor indian hunter worked his tail off. Especially in the summer!! Anyways, Indian hunter takes the coveted artifact and notices the shiny sticker price inside the pot!! Talk about having the wind taking out of your sails!! Poor indian hunter was ticked off at first telling bubba that was the sorriest trick anyone had played on him but they are still buds!! I see the Indian hunter occasionally and now we both laugh at the story after we have told over so many times. This is how I remember the way it happened. I need to talk to Bubba to see how much this story has changed through the years. Great times at the camp for sure.

#11 ·
Hog Bells

This came from one of my brother's buddies, but is has been verified and is true.

The camp know it all shot a nice sized boar during a day's hunt. At camp that night he drinks a bottle of tequila, PO's everybody with his bragging and (over the top) farting on other sleeping hunters. He passes out flat on his back in the dirt outside the camp cabin that night.

He wakes up the next morning with flies buzzing around the hog "bells" someone placed over his eyes.

True Story

Morale of the Story : Don't Mess With Cajuns

Trent D

#12 ·
Trent D said:
This came from one of my brother's buddies, but is has been verified and is true.

The camp know it all shot a nice sized boar during a day's hunt. At camp that night he drinks a bottle of tequila, PO's everybody with his bragging and (over the top) farting on other sleeping hunters. He passes out flat on his back in the dirt outside the camp cabin that night.

He wakes up the next morning with flies buzzing around the hog "bells" someone placed over his eyes.

True Story

Morale of the Story : Don't Mess With Cajuns

Trent D
AHHHHAHA Too funny....serves him right

#14 ·
I didn't think this was funny at the time because it happened to me - -

It happened a couple of years ago on a dove hunt at a buddy's place down in S. Texas. We had all been out in the field for a morning hunt and I was the last to get back to camp. About five minutes before I got back to camp, one of the guys killed a BIG rattler. They laid him by the front door next to the cabin. I get back to camp, say my hellos, head into the cabin to grab a drink, and almost climb the wall. The dang thing was still moving and about 3 feet from my boot. They thought it was really funny. I still don't.

TW

#16 ·
We shot a **** and froze it with his mouth wide open. The next trip out my buds out it under the hood of L J's jeep. They put it on the fender where the modulator was. One guy offered to go put the new mod on LJ's jeep, but LJ grabbed it and said he would do it himself!!! When he bent over and came face to face with that **** they said he went to screaming ,backpeddeling , and cussing . He had the nerve to blame it on ME!!!!, and I wasn't even there. He was soooo right, [it is good to have buds to help out if you can't be there] PS. LJ died of cancer a couple of years ago and is missed by all of us.

#17 ·
not sure why, but someone put a whole doe in the neighbors tower stand a few years back eve. before a hard freeze.......maybe not a prank , but deff interesting, he came over the next morning griping about not being able to move a frozen carcass and get in his stand

then there's the super rare albino turkey tom............willing donors after the local county fairs, go out night before and tie off live one to a suitable stump and give some feed and water and wait for the shot next morning.....

#18 ·
my dad and a compadre were at camp and the compadre decided to go to town for the evening to the local bars . my dad caught a small rabitt and could not find a place to cage him up to keep it alive so he decided to put hin in a kitchen drawer,and went to sleep hours after his compadre returned drunk as a skunk makes alot of noise ,he herd some one knocking the door fairly hard so he rushes to turn on the light and open the door and no one is there,he then turns off the light and gets back in bed the knocking again. by this time my dad has waken and starts to ask him what is happening and at this time the compadre very starled and drunk tells him someone is knocking on the door as soon as I turn the light they quit and run my dad said to him you are drunk go to sleep . as soon as they turned off the light the knocking cotinued then my dad went to the door and no one was there then they both were looking at each other very starteled then my dad remebered the rabbit in the drawer .

#19 ·
Wedding

chad said:
A few years ago we had a guy at our place that was the "know it all" and always annoyed everyone. The night before opening deer season after he went to bed my brother and I wired his horn to his break on his hunting jeep. When he got in the jeep the next morning he put his foot on the break to start it up and knew that he had been had. He was so mad he peeled out of camp to head in the pasture trying his best not to use the break. The really funny thing was even though he wasn't using the break that much every time he hit a bump the pedal would rattle and the horn would honk. We sat on the porch and laughed for ten minutes as we could hear him driving and honking all the way to his stand wich was about 2 miles from camp.

I could go on and on on this thread, but this is my favorite practical joke story from our ranch.
We- did this same thing as a wedding day decoration for one of my friends when he was leaving for his honeymoon! Too funny!

#21 ·
let sleeping dogs lye

A few years back at, "Deer Camp", a buddy thought it'd be funny to throw water on me after I turned in early to be prepared for the following days hunt.

All heck broke loose for a while, black eyes, hole in the wall, and I was sore for a month.

The next year Waterboy woke up minus an eyebrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.