2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Little gun advice please?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sharkhunter50 
#1 ·
I have a opportunity to buy a savage rifle model 116 cal. 338 winchester mag. It's about 10 years old. It is all stainless with black synthetic stock and ported barrell. It's about 95% with a few dings from use but very nice. No scope or sling just the rifle. I have a brother in Bakersfield, CA that goes elk hunting in Montana each year and he's looking for a little more punch than his 270.

My first question is what do you think it's worth?

Second question is what do you think of this round for larger game?

It's a friend of mine that has this gun and has been trying to get me to buy it for a while now. I have no use for it and really don't have much knowledge about rifles but thought it might be a good Xmas for my brother.

I really appreciate any knowledge ya'll might share.

Thanks
Brad

#2 ·
A lot of people think that the .338 is one of the best and most versatile Big game cartridges you can get. This is one of the best for game over 400lbs.
It is thought of highly in Africa by most professional hunters I have talked to.

A stainless synthetic rifle is ideal for Elk and Alaskan Hunting. Savages have a well deserved rep for the best accuracy for the buck.

Price? I can't say but a new one retails for around 480-550 plus whatever else comes with the deal. Scope, Sling, Mounts, Ammo or reloading dies?

Look it up on Guns America or Gun Trader on Line for comprable rifles.

I wish I had a brother that would get one for me.

#3 ·
i had one for years , shoot it first..........synth stock......light rifle ????

will make you grin on a bench with some federal premium 250 gr loads about 1000 more ft pounds of energy than a -06 with 150 gr.

7mag or 300 win mag for elk is plenty

#4 ·
Buy it, I have one in stainless synthetic, and recoil aint that bad..
Yes it kicks more than a 7 mag but not much more, if any, than my 300 win mag.
I use 210 gr hornady hand loads in mine so far, and have just bought some Barnes Tripple shock for the next load.
I think its a great Elk cal. and bear. I killed 3 pigs last year with mine. All head shots and they didnt go far. But I know a 25 cal would have done the same thing to a pig when shot in the head.
I love mine and it makes my arsenal complete, except maybe for a 375 . That may be next. Now that I hear rocks your body.
But I heard the 338 did also..........not.

#5 ·
Redfishr said:
Buy it, I have one in stainless synthetic, and recoil aint that bad..
Yes it kicks more than a 7 mag but not much more, if any, than my 300 win mag.
I use 210 gr hornady hand loads in mine so far, and have just bought some Barnes Tripple shock for the next load.
I think its a great Elk cal. and bear. I killed 3 pigs last year with mine. All head shots and they didnt go far. But I know a 25 cal would have done the same thing to a pig when shot in the head.
I love mine and it makes my arsenal complete, except maybe for a 375 . That may be next. Now that I hear rocks your body.
But I heard the 338 did also..........not.
Sorry I didnt answer the question.
300, no more....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.